how much do you give for allowance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-14-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how much do you give for allowance and how often do you increase it. Do you base it on age or grade or something else. My 8 year old wants an increase. I am thinking ahead to how much he may need as he gets older as my plan is to add certain things he is responsible for buying as gets older. Right now he gets 2$

#2 of 27 Old 01-15-2012, 09:35 AM

DS is 8 and gets $8/week. But of that, $3 goes to savings (this is for a car someday or another similarly big purchase), $1 toward charity, and $4 to him. I use the KiddyBank app on my iphone. When his savings account hits around $25 I transfer "real" money into his actual savings account. Once a year he decides where to send his charity money (so far he's stuck with the Cheetah Conservation Fund).

He uses most of his spending money on itunes (songs and apps) and for video games.

-e

p.s. DD is five and gets $5 a week. $1/charity, $1/savings, $3 for her. I pay her in cash because she doesn't understand virtual money yet!

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#3 of 27 Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 AM

My oldest two get $12.00 a month each. 6 goes to their savings, and actually I already transferred a year's worth over the summer into their account.

It's not a lot of money, but I'm not paying them for anything really. They have chores, but they'd have those if they were not getting an allowance. For me, the point of the allowance is handling money, and at their age, I don't want them with too much money in their pocket.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#4 of 27 Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

NOTHING!  Those little wise acres don't deserve a dime of my money!  I work, they don't!

just kidding!

#5 of 27 Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 AM

Theoretically, our 10 year old should be getting $8 a week and our 7 year old $5 a week. In practice, we always forget to give it to them. And they don't have much they want to buy (ice cream from the ice cream truck about 2x a year). The only thing that dd (our 7 year old) does is take the money out and count it. It's been very good for her math skills (She's got $53.75). But it also makes me feel like I'm raising Silas Marner. Right now, the only money they get is the money relatives send for birthdays.

When they get older, they will probably have things they want to spend their money on. Then we'll institute an allowance again.

(We used to make them put 25% of the money toward charity, 50% for savings and keep 25% for spending. However, giving money has little meaning for them. So, I've been looking for ways to them to actually do things for charity, rather than give.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#6 of 27 Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Our teen daughters 14 and 16 get  $ 100 a month each, they do chores and if needed babysit their younger sister. Their allowance then covers their expenses such as their cell phone,Our oldest DD pays for her birth control and her contacts,etc.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#7 of 27 Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMommaToo View Post

DS is 8 and gets $8/week. But of that, $3 goes to savings (this is for a car someday or another similarly big purchase), $1 toward charity, and $4 to him. I use the KiddyBank app on my iphone. When his savings account hits around $25 I transfer "real" money into his actual savings account. Once a year he decides where to send his charity money (so far he's stuck with the Cheetah Conservation Fund).

He uses most of his spending money on itunes (songs and apps) and for video games.

-e

p.s. DD is five and gets $5 a week. $1/charity, $1/savings, $3 for her. I pay her in cash because she doesn't understand virtual money yet!

I like that whole system!!!

#8 of 27 Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 PM

We use the http://www.fourpiggies.com/ system. We do have the banks and the book but you can do it without buying the stuff. Anyway how it works is the child gets the dollar amount that corresponds with age so our 3 year old gets $3 a week. He has four banks Spending, Savings, Sharing and Schooling and he puts a set amount in each one.

So currently he puts

$0.50 in spending and uses this to buy little toys, has used it for those coin machines for toys, will save it for a few weeks to buy a bigger toy, etc 

$1 in savings this is for bigger items that he has wanted for a long time last spring he bought his scooter and a few weeks ago he bought a new pair of swim goggles (his old ones were fine but he wanted green goggles with dark lenses and has been looking at them and wanting them for about 4 mons now) 

$0.50 in sharing he uses this to donate to various charities. He really wants to take some of his sharing money and pick out some food to donate to the food bank, he also wants to donate money to the butterfly release we attend each year in honor of our DD (it is his fav event) last week I was at the optometrist and they had a donation box there for optometry research and he wanted to put his 0.50 for that week in the box. We talk about what different charities do to help others. He has also giving some of his sharing money to people living on the street (we have a few in our neighborhood that we see regularly)

$1 in to schooling this will go towards his Registered Education Fund to help pay for post secondary education whatever that may be for him.

Whenever he gets money as a gift or finds money he gets to pick what banks he would like to put it in. He sometimes splits it up and puts some in each bank or sometimes he puts the whole amount in one bank. For example just before Christmas my grandmother gave him $5 and we were at the mall shortly after that and I had his money with me and he decided he wanted to put all the $5 into the salvation arm pot. I think a lot of his "donating" into boxes etc is really the thrill of put money into a box but I do let him know that once he puts it in the box then it belongs to the charity and we do talk about what his money will help with.

It is a good system and he is slowly understanding the concepts. I have to remind him how much goes into each bank but am hoping eventually he will remember on his own. As he gets older the amount will go up by a dollar for each year and the amount that goes in each pig will also go up of course.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#9 of 27 Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 AM

My son (age 7) doesn't really get an allowance, but there is a list of "jobs" on the fridge that he can do to earn money, and each job has a certain "wage" listed next to it.  These are all jobs that his dad or I would normally do, like making my own bed or watering plants or picking up branches and raking the yard or vacuuming.  He doesn't get paid for his regular chores (making his own bed, picking up his toys, putting shoes away, sorting the recycling and feeding the pets) because I consider them to be things that he does as a member of the household.  

This works for us, because it puts him in control of his earnings.  He knows that if there are things he wants to buy, he has to do X amount of work to earn it.  

#10 of 27 Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM

We do something very similar to LuckyMommaToo.  Ds1 and dd1 are currently the only ones getting an allowance.  And because we have such bad memories we dole it out once a month.  They get double their age a month.  Ds is 9 so he gets $18/month.  Ds is 6 so she gets $12/month.  I use an excel spreadsheet and they divide their monthly allowance between savings (schooling, car, etc..), charity and spending (day to day spending - candy, toys, etc...).  It is up to them how they allocate it but they need to put something into each account.  There have been a few months where most goes into spending but overall they do a great job of dividing it up.  Usually at the end of the year we discuss where they want to put their charity money and I transfer their saved money into their bank accounts.  Their spend money is spent throughout the year whenever they want something that I normally wouldn't buy for them.  This system works well for us and I like it because it is a good example of how dh and I handle our own money.

They have also started asking to earn money so on top of the daily chores that they are expected to do they can do additional "big" chores for money.  Ds1 vacumned the entire house this morning for some additional money.  Other big chores are shoveling snow off decks and bringing in firewood.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#11 of 27 Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM

My 8 yo gets $5 a week..his to spend as he pleases. 

mom to jumpers.gif crazy boys
#12 of 27 Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Mine (7, 8) don't get allowances but I do work hard to facilitate them working outside the family.  I don't think they should be paid for working for the family, and they get all they need and much of what they want from us already. 

*bejeweled* likes this.
#13 of 27 Old 01-26-2012, 04:36 PM

Still nothing!  They bleed me dry every chance they get!

#14 of 27 Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Mine get nothing either.  They all  have 40-80$ from money they have received as gifts but thats all they get aside from tooth fairy money and the quarters they beg me for all the time for gumballs from the store :)  They pooled their money last year and got an above ground pool.  I think they paid for the entire thing except for us kicking in 75$.

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

#15 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 AM

I'm with lmakcerka (you are funny).

We give our 5 y.o. pretty much what he asks for if it seems reasonable. He's eating us out of house and home anyhow. And lot of the figures here seem huge to me--what would my 5 year old do with $5 a week? I barely get that in "fun" money (we're on one income and it's not a big one). But I'm starting to think ahead and want him to learn some responsibility. He is good at counting and knows about money and has been handing over the money for stuff at the farmer's market, butcher etc. for some time now, but obviously it's money we hand to him right before that, so not serving the same purpose. And $5 a week, if half went to savings and another one or two went to a good cause of his choice, that's not such a bad idea; it's an ice cream cone on the weekend or something.

Anyhow, my main point: Those of you who do give allowances, at what age did you start?

#16 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

nothing.

i dont see why dd needs an allowance. if she wants something she can always ask me. and she does.

she gets a sense of money from helping with grocery shopping and other stuff. 

she does get money sometimes. either she goes and spends it right away, or forgets about it. 

she is very empathic and feels for causes. she has given away her precious toy to a crying girl so i feel i dont need to teach her to give. 

and therefore no need for allowance in our family. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#17 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 02:35 PM

My DD (age 9) gets nothing. She knows that she is expected to help out with any and everything, and she does. We get her pretty much whatever she wants or needs. She gets money from relatives for special occasions, etc. and she knows how to save for the extras she wants. She usually has a wish list that is prioritized.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#18 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM

[quote name="pigpokey" I don't think they should be paid for working for the family, and they get all they need and much of what they want from us already. 
[/quote]

nod.gif I agree wholeheartedly with this.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#19 of 27 Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

There's absolutely no extra money in our budget for allowances right now. Even if we did, I couldn't see giving more than $2 or $3/week.

#20 of 27 Old 02-01-2012, 12:21 PM

Still nothing.  Probably will always be nothing. 

#21 of 27 Old 02-03-2012, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 9 year old gets 11 dollars a month. Puts 10% into his savings piggy bank, the rest for disposable cash. Its more for money  management and for him to be able to buy what he likes, although he rarely has his money on him when he is asking for something. And the allowance is kind of sporadic too.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#22 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 10:24 AM

We don't really have the money to give an allowance right now, and honestly, I can't see me ever giving an allowance.  I just don't see the point in it.  Effectively, I see it as a teaching tool that doesn't work in a real-world type of scenario.  Most people don't get money for doing nothing and most people definitely don't get everything provided for them and still get spending money.  If my kids want to earn some money for things they want, they're really going to have to work for it.  There's plenty of things my kids can do for money, just like I did when I was a kid.  In some cases I earned money from doing my mom's housework.  She'd pay me for everything I did for her because it gave her more free time to do things she wanted to do.  I worked at the school's after-school program in high school.  I babysat, though not very often.  I was always able to find plenty of ways to earn the money I wanted, and that was without even having an after-school job.

Another thing I've found kind of surprising is all the parents that are telling their kids how to allot their allowance.  I've known a lot of kids that grew up with their parents insisting that they put so much to charity or so much to their savings.  Some of these people have grown into really financially irresponsible adults, so I've decided that when my kids have money, they need to be an active part in deciding where that money goes.  I've helped direct my daughter to options, such as starting a saving's account, charity, etc, but I don't require her to put a certain amount of money into any allotted selection.  As a result, she reasons out what she needs and where she can put her money from relatives and is actually learning how to budget her own money at 8 years old.  I'm pretty proud of her because at this point she's decided to put it all in a bank account because she'd rather save it for when she really wants or needs something.  Right now she's pretty much got everything she needs, so she can't complain.

What we've been doing instead is letting my daughter help with budgeting certain things that we're comfortable including her on.  For example, Grandma's sending her money to buy a kitten.  My mom and I picked out a Maine Coon breeder (because that's the kind of cats my mom and sister have, so she thought it would bring her closer to the family).  My daughter is going to pick out her kitten, but we agreed this kitten would be her responsibility.  By that we mean more than just the cleaning.  Grandma also sent her a gift card to spend on the things a kitten needs.  We went through the list of everything you need to prepare for a kitten, from food dishes and a litter box to cat food to toys.  I told my daughter she can only spend that much on her cat, so she's got to plan very carefully where all her money goes.  There are some things she can't skip out on, like a litter box, litter, and food.  There are some things we can borrow or repurpose other items for, like using other containers for cat bowls or borrowing a carrier.  There are some things that are highly recommended, like scratching posts.  Other things, like toys, can be things that we make, so she doesn't need to spend a lot of money there.  However, I'm letting her decide what she spends on each item and how to budget her money, as long as all the basic needs are met.  Grandma is also going to be sending money regularly for food, litter, and other needs because my mom knows we don't have the money to spend on a cat right now, but really wants to do this so my daughter will have a companion with everything else going on in her life right now.  Because of this, my daughter's going to have to budget the money she spends on her pet very carefully.  This has been a great learning tool for teaching financial responsibility without needing to give an allowance.

We're also going to start doing the same thing with grocery shopping, giving my kids a budget for snacks throughout the week.  They can buy whatever they choose for healthy snacks, as long as it fits within the budget.  Not only do they have to work out how much they can spend, but at this point since my middle son is nearly 5, he's not really old enough to manage on his own, so this means team work.  There are tons of other ways to teach them financial responsibility in this kind of fashion (like letting them them help plan a vacation) that don't require giving an allowance.

#23 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

We started just before dd1's 5th birthday because she was asking for little things and seemed like she was ready for it.  I decided on .25 per year per week.  Now she gets 1.75.  She is still very impulsive (surprise surprise) and will readily forgo saving for a coveted toy just to buy stickers.  The only limit I have on their spending is buying candy, no more than a serving's worth (insert Psycho shower sequence music here to represent sugared-up devil children).

I don't make them save, that's for them to figure out.  It also allows me to watch for when she might start passing by the instant gratification for something bigger.  Until then, the raises will be minimal.  I plan to give her $2/wk for her 8th birthday, then a dollar raise per year after that.  She needs to talk with me and show some better discipline before I will consider giving her a bigger raise.  But this is exactly what the allowance is for---learning to deal with money and desire, etc.  

I once heard this fabulous advice: if you find it painful when your kids blow their money on crap, you are giving them too much allowance.

We do not give money for chores, but we are self-employed and have regular opportunities for the girls to make some pretty decent money.  They also get "extra allowance" on their birthday and when losing teeth.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#24 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 AM

I have an 8yo ds and a 6yo dd (well, a 3yo ds, too, but he doesn't factor in to the allowance thing).  My ds gets $10/mo for allowance and my dd gets $8.  I have to do monthly otherwise I don't remember.  It's theirs to do pretty much what they want with.  My son spends it on snacks after ice skating (snacks that I wouldn't buy) and my dd just saves and saves and saves.  We still buy the bulk of their stuff, but I like that they get to handle money and save up for things on their own. 

I read something that a good amount is 50 cents * age per week.  We give less that that, but we do base their allowance on age and plan to do increases every year or every other year.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#25 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks everyone, useful advice. I like the reasons against it and am now not feeling in a rush, but I also like the idea of kids learning to budget, save for stuff they really want, decide what to do with it, etc. I love the cat budgeting--pet budget stuff seems like a great way to combine all those things and the idea of spending with someone else's needs and wants in mind, too.

All over the devil sugared child Psycho music; add red dye and I am there.

#26 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-mom View Post

I love the cat budgeting--pet budget stuff seems like a great way to combine all those things and the idea of spending with someone else's needs and wants in mind, too.

We actually went to buy all my daughter's cat stuff today.  She was kind of floored by how much it costs to care for a kitty!  Of course, we're shopping for a Maine Coon, so those require larger than average carriers, a decent sized litter box, and the breeder suggested a high-quality food, so that upped the price too, but it really gave her the idea that animals aren't cheap.  She even wanted to buy a bigger cat tree, but it just wasn't going to be in the budget if we were going to take Kitty to the vet when she arrives too.  We took down the prices for the food this time and how much the adult food will cost too, as well as the litter.  She's already trying to guess how much her cat will eat as well as how fast cats normally go through litter so she can plan further cat-related expenses.

I hadn't even thought about it in terms of spending with someone else's needs and wants in mind!  I can't believe I didn't think of it, especially since I've always told my kids that taking care of a pet is like taking care of a baby that will never grow up.  I'm glad you pointed that out.  It makes me feel like I'm helping my daughter on one more level too!

#27 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 01:37 PM

This sounds like such a great project on so many levels (math skills! x ounces of food per day times seven days a week...weekly food budget).

They eat less of the really high quality natural stuff, btw--less filler, so their bodies use more of the food per ounce. Then, fewer vet bills too.

I also love Maine Coons. Enjoy!

Tags
Childhood

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page