The sex talk with my 4yo - ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My almost 5 year old is getting to the point where I think we need to start to initiate a sex conversation rather than just answering his questions (which we've done all along with no problems - we just answer the questions he asks without elaborating too much and he seems satisfied with that).

But (there's always a but, isn't there?) he's starting to explore more ideas with his friends and at school and I think it's probably time to initiate a more "formal" dialogue with him. He wrote a "book" the other day and one page was for "vajina vajina vajina"  and the next was for "peinei peinei". He thought it was hilarious (so did I actually...)

Anyways, what I'm wondering is whether anyone has any suggestions for books that would be good to get to read with him, ideas of what would be best to explain without his questions (if anything), websites with good information, etc.

All suggestions and experiences welcome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 02:08 PM

It's Not the Stork is awesome.  It is very explicit and direct.  My 4yo likes it a lot, often requests it from the library and wants to read the whole thing (its very long).

Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Thank you for the book link. DS has been asking me "How does the baby get in your belly mom..how" a few times already (I'm preggers and he knows. I might just head to the library tomorrow and get the book for us to explain it to him. 

joy.gif
Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM

We have a copy of "It's not the Stork" and have had it for about a year on his book shelve. He had no interest in it until a few weeks ago. I am also pregnant 20 wks now and Starting to show more and well DS has been very interested in the book lately. He asked my sister to read it to him a few weekends ago and then last week he asked me to read the whole thing and then when it was done he asked to read it again but I encouraged him to look through it himself and he could ask me questions if he had any. He spent the whole morning looking through it. It is a great book.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 PM

DS loves It's Not the Stork. I am so thankful for that book.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Tags
Childhood
User Tag List