What's wrong with my son having pierced ears?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest ds wanted his ears pierced since he was 5. On his 7th birthday I took him to get it done. He loves them. He tells every one he looks just like Dad.

BUT OH MAN THE REMARKS WE GET IN PUBLIC!!

At the Easter egg hunt a mom walked up to me and asked me if I was "okay" with his ears being pierced. I said yes I was. Tyler and I discussed it many months before I let him go ahead and do it.

But the thing that bothered me was that her 3 month old daughter had her ears pierced!!! She thinks it's okay for her to take her unwilling daughter to get ears pierced--but it's not okay for my son who was educated in his dicision?!

When I told her this she says well...if he asks to get his tongue pierced are you going to let him?:

Oops, stuck on that one. No I wouldn't. But I had no come back to that one. She wanted to know why I okayed his ears pierced but no other part on his body. Hmmm, I guess just because I think that would be to far for a child.

Tyler will ask people who get snide about his ears.."How are my ears affecting your life?" That's my boy.

Any way, any other mamas have this problem. I could use some advice.

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#2 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by happymomwith4
Tyler will ask people who get snide about his ears.."How are my ears affecting your life?" That's my boy.
My cousin got his ear peirced for his fifth birthday. He had wanted one so badly for a while. My Aunt was completely ok with it and he was really proud too. I'll ask her if she got any rude remarks and how she dealt with them. She's *really* outspoken though so I don't think it was a problem!:LOL

btw, he's 14 now and still lovin it!
#3 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 01:59 AM

We have two friends who got their ears pierced at about 9. They also had to think it over for a long time before their moms would let them get it done. Their moms have told sceptics that it's much better than tattoos because they aren't permanent! You can always take an earring out if you don't like it.
That was a weird thing for the lady to say about tongue piercing! Like since your child is making his own decisions, you must obey him. And since her child is only an infant, she can do whatever she wants to her. You can just tell her tongue piercing isn't nearly as socially acceptable as ear p. for a 7 yo so odds are he won't ask. did that make any sense?

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#4 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it made perfect sense--that sounds like a perfect response. Thanks every one!!

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#5 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dready*mama
Their moms have told sceptics that it's much better than tattoos because they aren't permanent! You can always take an earring out if you don't like it.

but why should you have to explain it to a total stranger??... its nobody elses business!!!
#6 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 09:48 AM

I think your son's line is great.
I also agree that you don't even need to deal with it.

I'd just look at the person coldly, and say "I'm sorry, but I'm trying to teach my son it's rude to comment on other peoples' appearance, so you'll understand if I don't want to discuss this with you"
#7 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 10:16 AM

You shouldn't have to explain it to strangers, you're right. Those pics of your kids are totally cute. I can't tell if he's got the earring in them because this computer shows all the pictures pretty fuzzy, but I bet he looks super handsome with it!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#8 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 10:30 AM

I used to get nasty comments from strangers when was small b/c her ears are NOT pierced!!!!!!!!!! People are frickin' strange!

As for a response to getting his tongue pierce: "Not yet, I told him he can get a tattoo first, it' gonna be a heart that says "Mom"...

BTW, at age 4 DD said she wante her belly button pierced. So we were walking by a piercing place and I offerred (wasn't serious). She change her mind and wants nothing to do with anypiercing still at age 7.
#9 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 12:24 PM

My ds got his first ear pierce at about age 7. A yr or 2 later, he got the other one pierced. He has had a comment or two from conservative relatives.

One uncle whom he hardly ever sees said, Hey B___, what's with the pierced ears? B's comment was a glazed stare. Like, just a brain dead stare. Uncle had to look away.

A cousin commented negatively when he and B were about 10. 2 yrs later, he was begging his own mom for a pierce. So far, she still is saying no.

As far as I know, he has never had any other comments. Maybe b/c most of the time, his hair is covering his ears anyway. :LOL
#10 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks every one--those are all great ideas!:LOL :LOL

#11 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 PM

My nephew is 7 and he wanted his ear's pierced. Yes both. At first I was telling my sister who was allowing himto do it, to "come on now" like she was out of her mind. But then I thought about it and what really is the big deal.
as for
Quote:
well...if he asks to get his tongue pierced are you going to let him?
You should have thrown that question back at her. Her daughters ears were pierced.

Steff
#12 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You should have thrown that question back at her. Her daughters ears were pierced.
No doubt huh? I wish I could have used this at that moment!:LOL

#13 of 13 Old 04-14-2004, 10:43 PM

If my ds wants his ear pierced he will have it done. I love your son's come back!!!!! Btw, my dh has more holes in his ears than I do.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page