Extreme sippy cup issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my fiances parent's need help. They are having difficulty understanding that having their 11-almost 12 YEAR OLD daughter is too old to be drinking from the sippy cup with her meals. my fiance is a certified teacher in washington state and this has been her life passion to raise kids and to teach. She works at a kindergarden/preschool where they stop having the kids use sippy cups at 24 MONTHS. She has tried everything under the sun to portray this message to them, but they cant realize whats up. Does anyone have suggestions to help pull their heads out their ass? Is there any tipson how to possibly work with just the CHild to make her understand why they are bad and simply by pass her faulty parents. WE DO NOT want to take on a parenting role in this situation, but are very concerned on how to get her off of sippy cups. SHE has no mental illness or developmental problem. She is actually super intelligent. BUT Very picky about her meals.....another discussion yet to be had, as they cater to her every need and prepeare a second dinner different than the families, which is junk food or some fast food. Please help we are terribly concerned about her future health any idea would be great. 

#2 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 AM

I don't know, but it's one of my pet peeves.  I can't stand to see a four year old walking around with a sucky cup.  

I keep my daycare kids on the take and toss straw cup until almost 2.  Then, it's a cup with no lid and no straw.  

ETA..There are cups out there that are not the sucky type cups, but have a lid on them, or a straw.  Those don't look nearly as moronic as a Gerber sucky cup.  There are nice big kid and adult cups with straws or coffee type lids.

#3 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Many adults use "sippy" cups. They just call them travel mugs or sports bottles.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

I don't know, but it's one of my pet peeves.  I can't stand to see a four year old walking around with a sucky cup.  

I keep my daycare kids on the take and toss straw cup until almost 2.  Then, it's a cup with no lid and no straw.  

ETA..There are cups out there that are not the sucky type cups, but have a lid on them, or a straw.  Those don't look nearly as moronic as a Gerber sucky cup.  There are nice big kid and adult cups with straws or coffee type lids.

So a straw is ok but a lid with a spout is...? 

Who cares!

Who cares what kind of cup the kid usesf.  If she's going to sleep with a sippy cup of chocolate milk and it's ruining her teeth then maybe there's a case for doing something about it, otherwise how is it any different from the bottle of water half the adults reading this right now are using?

#5 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

So a straw is ok but a lid with a spout is...? 

Who cares!

I would care if it were my own child.  It's not necessary.  It's bad for teeth and speech, and it's only for the convenience of the parent.  Straws go past the teeth, and don't require the same sucking motion that the duck billed stopper sucky cups use.  I work with enough children to know without a doubt tha the kids who use the sucky type cups have dental problems and speech problems, then braces later because the child developed tongue thrusting issues that cause other issues later on.  

http://www.sayandplayfamily.com/articulation/sippy-cups-and-articulation

And, honestly, it just looks stupid.  I know if the family is out and about, I wouldn't give my child a non drip cup in the car either... I'd use a dripless cup too... but, not those plastic duck billed cups because there are better choices.  

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Sippy Cups Alert

The increased caries risk for toddlers who use the duck-billed cups, often carrying with them and sipping throughout the day can cause cavities.  Spill-proof cups are more like a bottle than a cup. These cups are an effective tool for shifting children from baby bottles to regular cups, but parents should use the cups only as a transitional device because tooth decay remains the most common chronic childhood disease-five times as
common as asthma
     Prolonged use of the cup also inhibits the development of muscles needed for proper speech.  You should not to allow your child to suck on the cups throughout the day. "Sippy cups are great; however a traditional cup is even better." 

In response to the “sippy cup dilemma”…..

As a licensed practicing Speech Language Pathologist, I have observed the damaging impact on oral-motor musculature, swallowing patterns, dentition, and speech/articulation development as a result of chronic sippy cup use.  This is especially true with the "new" totally spill proof sippy cups that have a stopper and the only way to drink is to suck.  Maintaining a sucking pattern while drinking interferes with the development of adult swallow patterns and directly impacts on oral-motor muscle development, speech, and articulation development.  Sippy cups were/are meant to TRANSITION a child from bottle to regular cup.  A child is transitioned from a bottle at a certain age to encourage proper oral-motor musculature development and development of an adult swallow pattern.  In my opinion, chronic use of a pacifier, bottle, and/or sippy cup during this time FREQUENTLY results in oral-motor and/or speech disorders, malocclusion, and "tongue thrust" swallowing patterns.   I also agree that chronic use of a sippy cup may be one of several contributing factors for a particular child with speech/articulation delays.  Once a child has been identified as having oral-motor/speech/articulation deficits, removing pacifiers, sippy cups, and/or thumbs will at least contribute to increased rate of progress in therapy.  Many parents continue chronic use of sippy cups until age 3 to 4 (or later).  It is not the sippy cup that is the problem, but in how it is used, and how parents are not informed as to the dangers and risks of not using it properly: as a transitioning tool rather than as a "pacifier for the carpet or car". 

Lori Johnston, M.A., CCC-SLP Licensed Speech Language Pathologist '
New Jersey, USA

#6 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM

My dd is 7 and still sometimes likes to use a lidded cup (just a cup with a lid that has a hole in it - not a sippy cup with a stopper thingie inside to make it no-spill).  She prefers that kind of cup to have on her bedside table for night time.  It's easier to drink from without spilling (duh, i guess, lol).

I'm sure at some point very soon this 11 yo girl will choose to stop using that kind of cup.  She's coming into that part of life where she'll likely want to be more "grown up".  I'd say let her give it up when she's ready.  Or gift her some sports bottles (pretty much the same thing, but looks better i guess?). 

I'm curious: does she use the "sippy" cups at school?  Does she get made fun of because of it?  Or is this just around the house.  Are these true "sippy cups" (marketed for use by babies and toddlers, with the no-spill thing inside - made by Gerber or something), or more of a lidded "big kid" cup?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#7 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 PM

This would not be something I would think worth getting into an argument over. Can you really think of a way to raise this with them that isn't offensive?

Yes, an 11 year old is too big to be drinking from a lidded cup. But, eventually she's going to be old enough to say "enough already!" My kids rarely drank from sippy cups because they hated the valves. They haven't drunk from lidded cups for about 4 years (when dd was 3) because I didn't read the directions and didn't realize that you couldn't boil the tops to sterilize them. Once they'd melted, we had no more tops. But that's my family, and our choices.

The truth is, as much as you disagree with their parenting choices, they're the parents. You're not. You can't control what they do. You can't make them make the daughter more mature or less picky. You probably don't know the whole story.  I suspect the fact that this is bothering your fiance is about more than just the sippy cups, and you don't want to get in the middle of that cross-fire. There is no way you can win. You can support your fiance, but keep your head down.

If you're worried that the parents are setting up the younger daughter for failure, then the best thing you can do is develop a strong relationship with the 11 year old. You aren't going to do that by making the sippy cup (or even her diet) the hill to die on. And given that you're the finance, and not the daughter, your job is to smile and be nice.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Welcome to MDC.  

Is it a real sippy cup or a straw or sports bottle?  Because I'm having a hard time believing a child with no "developmental problems" would be using an actual sippy cup at near 12 at the table no less.  Maybe there's more going on than you're privy to.  If it's a straw or sports bottle, then there's no need to fret over health problems.  Either way, I think this is a MYOB type situation.

#9 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If it isn't a sports bottle, then they should just get her a sports bottle instead. I use a sports bottle and I'm in my mid-40s.

#10 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

This would not be something I would think worth getting into an argument over. Can you really think of a way to raise this with them that isn't offensive?

Yes, an 11 year old is too big to be drinking from a lidded cup. But, eventually she's going to be old enough to say "enough already!" My kids rarely drank from sippy cups because they hated the valves. They haven't drunk from lidded cups for about 4 years (when dd was 3) because I didn't read the directions and didn't realize that you couldn't boil the tops to sterilize them. Once they'd melted, we had no more tops. But that's my family, and our choices.

The truth is, as much as you disagree with their parenting choices, they're the parents. You're not. You can't control what they do. You can't make them make the daughter more mature or less picky. You probably don't know the whole story.   suspect the fact that this is bothering your fiance is about more than just the sippy cups, and you don't want to get in the middle of that cross-fire. There is no way you can win. You can support your fiance, but keep your head down.

If you're worried that the parents are setting up the younger daughter for failure, then the best thing you can do is develop a strong relationship with the 11 year old. You aren't going to do that by making the sippy cup (or even her diet) the hill to die on. And given that you're the finance, and not the daughter, your job is to smile and be nice.

yeahthat.gif

My initial thought was that it's so none of your business.  It's not a good thing to have a tween drinking from a sippy cup, but it's not exactly abusive either.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#11 of 11 Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM

I'd have to say mind your own business and raise you own child they way you want.

Tags
Child , Childhood , Children

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page