We have two boys, 5.5 and 3.5, and I am a damn good mommy to them... when I get enough sleep. :) They are high energy and I am too... when I am at my best. I love parenting them... when I've had a good night's sleep.
Since they both started sleeping through the night in the last few years, I've been having a blast. But I'm pregnant again, and as third trimester rolls by I am already suffering from poor and broken sleep. And the baby isn't even here yet! There are some days, like today, when I do all I can to drag myself through the day and give my boys monosyllabic answers to their interesting questions. I thought it would be good to keep a list of coping techniques to make these sorts of days suck a little less. Here's my start:
- If I have 15 minutes, take a shower.
- Get dressed in clothes I feel good in; even maybe put some eye shadow on and earrings, etc.
- Make sure I am taking deep breaths.
- Get as much light as I can.
- Stay away from sugar so I can stay away from the blood sugar drop afterwards.
- Try to get outside for a little bit.
- Have the first thing I do as I leave the bedroom be a minor task that I could write down on my to do list for the day as "done," like, "Start a load of laundry" or "Water the plants."
- Listen to upbeat music.
- Call a friend and ask her questions... but don' whine about my own day.
- Movie night.
- Arts and crafts for the kids in the living room, with me laying on the couch.
Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution.
DS1, 8 years. DS2, 6 years. DS3, 2 years. DD1, due April 2015
No other ideas off the top of my head, but thanks for the GREAT list I'm expecting #3 in mid-June, and I'm also worried about my energy levels and my ability to keep it together after this baby is born.
Swell Doula Service
Birth - Postpartum - Placenta Encapsulation
|16 members and 10,062 guests|
|Beemo3780 , Bow , gaidinsgirl , girlspn , hillymum , jamesmorrow , lilyofjudah , manyhatsmom , NaturallyKait , RollerCoasterMama , Rubyballard@1976 , samaxtics , StarJune , Tass Thompson , thefragile7393 , transylvania_mom|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|