sleepless + frequent urination. anxiety in 3yo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay this is yet another "my kid doesn't sleep post", so TIA for taking the time to read..! flowersforyou.gif

DD (3 in January) has been sleepless forever. We have developed enough routine and strategy now that she mostly sleeps through the night. But one night "off" and she starts cycling downward for about two weeks until we get back on track. If she wakes through the night it usually takes 2 hours for her to fall back asleep. Last night (this morning) she woke at 4:30 and couldn't fall back asleep, so she was up for the day. She had a nap at daycare but tonight, was wound up so tight that she was crying for ridiculously no reason, and fell asleep a good 1-2 hours past her usual time. This is all "normal" for her; problematic in itself.

The new thing is when she is really tired, she is going pee like crazy. She says she goes every time. Tonight she probably went 30 times. It's not a medical thing because when she's not crazy tired and trying to sleep, she urinates at a reasonable rate. I think she is just stressed and anxious.

So my questions: 1. I'm at a place where I'm assuming this kind of sleep cycle is "normal" but, would anyone recommend melatonin for use when necessary? and/or does anyone think that maybe I should look into something more medical (e.g. sleep clinic, or test my lurking food sensitivities hypothesis with an elimination diet)? and 2. any insights on the peeing thing? anyone encountered this?

#2 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My ds has gone through 2 or 3 bouts of frequent urination over the years. They've lasted a couple of months at a time and I'm guessing they were anxiety related although there wasn't any particular trigger. The first time, I thought perhaps it was a food allergy (I have relatives who get frequent urination when they eat certain foods like oats, rice, and wheat). I tried eliminating grains but that didn't help.  There should be a couple of old threads on here about it. I think most people felt it was an anxiety thing. Some people have frequent urination when they are sick or coming down with a cold...

My ds used to just have a bad night's sleep if he got overtired but it never took more than a day or two to get back on track. I never tried melatonin. He's prone to insomnia, night terrors, and sleep walking when he is overtired which doesn't help him catch up on quality sleep. He'll still nap in the car if we have a long ride in the late afternoon. He tended to fall asleep better at night if he had a nap so he still napped half the time at a pretty old age (5 and 6). The sleep issues aren't as bad because he simply doesn't need as much sleep now that he is older.

When he was 3, he'd sometimes wake up for a few hours during the night (actually he'll still do that once in a while, usually because he has a stuffed nose or something). I'd just get up with him and we'd go back to bed. He was never a regular sleeper so if he was/is up from 2-5am, we'd just sleep later, not having to get up for school or work.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your post! Sounds like lots of similarities, and it's always good to put my own experiences in context against others who have similar battles. I still get the message from people around me that we are doing something wrong, or that something is wrong with DD. But I knew when she was still quite young that we would have a long time battle over sleep with her in the years ahead. Glad to hear that the issues, although still present, are better with your DS. I wonder what kind of sleepers our kids will be when they are grown?

#4 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaviourmama View PostI wonder what kind of sleepers our kids will be when they are grown?

The kind that can wake up in the middle of the night and parent their own sleepless children;-)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

love.gif

Tags
Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page