February '09 Mamas ~ Childhood Chat :) - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

#331 of 1166 Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nilla: what you said makes so much sense! Since we are just diving in and seeing a bit of progress I really don't want to undo our humble beginnings! We'll probably end up packing something... she can still do dairy so getting ice cream should help! :)

Gorgeous sunshine today. Heading to a playground with some friends later in the morning. I'm hoping the sun sticks around for the festival- especially parade day.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 1166 Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Sue, good luck with the festival. That would be a really difficult event to take her to considering all her limitations are still new. I understand, too, not wanting to miss out. I like Nilla's suggestion for finding an equally special treat she can have. 

I'm officially done for the summer!! I went in this morning for our year-end meeting, got all my orders in and paperwork done for next year. I went in a couple of days ago and cleared out my classroom for summer cleaning. So, I am done, done, done until August 6, woo hoo! I made an appt for the girls to get portraits done this summer. I love, love this photographer we're using. I went to high school with her and she is AMAZING. I have wanted to get pics with her for ages, but she is super expensive. I decided to just bite the bullet this summer and get them done. So, I'm having a garage sale in a couple of weeks to help come up with the money and that is keeping us pretty busy. Owyn really loves going through everything with me and helps sort things into different piles for me. It's awesome that she is actually old enough to help with things around the house! She knows my morning routine is to de-clutter the house as soon as I get up in the morning, so she has started picking up the living room in the mornings, totally on her own. She'll put Greta's toys away, put clothes in the hamper, throw trash away, etc. It's awesome! 

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#333 of 1166 Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd check in here :)  So, I had my job interview today and it looks like the job is mine.  She's checking references tomorrow and then said she'd call Monday and needs me to start immediately.  Woohoo!  I have to pay out of pocket for next week's daycare which sucks.  If I get a couple shifts I might get some reimbursed though.  And it turns out I have to switch R to home daycare anyway.  The job is only part time and involves Saturdays so the daycare he's at won't do.  I'm going to keep him on the wait list there for September when I'm back in school but for the summer he'll have to go to a home daycare.  They've matched me up with one and I'm going to meet the woman there tomorrow.  So things are sort of coming together.  I wish I could have kept R at the daycare he's at.  I'm disappointed about that and I hate doing that to R when he has his friends and knows all the staff :(  But I really need the job..  Oh well :(

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09

#334 of 1166 Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Mal: Woot woot!!! Enjoy your summer!! 

Sue: Glad you are getting some sun!

Everr: Yay for getting the job!!! What a bummer about having to switch the care - can't you do part time where he's at and maybe have you mom watch him on weekends? Just a thought - but I'm sure you probably would be doing that if it worked. 

AFM: We got photos done today at JC Penny. My dad sent M a super cute fancy dress and she recently got her hair cut to her shoulders - and Pennys is SO cheap - so I figured why not. They turned out really cute! I'm going to frame one for my dad for father's day. :-)

My chicken that went broody a couple months ago is going broody again already!! So soon??? Maybe my prego hormones are rubbing off on her. LOL.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#335 of 1166 Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

The daycare he's at is full time only.  My subsidy will only pay for days I'm scheduled to work.  So, if I have 3 shifts during Monday to Friday, the subsidy will pay for 3, and I have to pay for 2 (even though I'm not working, but the daycare requires full time coverage).  I really really want him to stay there but I can't justify the extra cost.  I'm only going to be making minimum wage.  I emailed my mom asking if she'd consider paying for the extra days so maybe that will work.  But then she'd also have to agree to babysitting Saturday and I'm not sure how she'd feel about that.  I'm not sure what to do :/

#336 of 1166 Old 05-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Have to brag on baby Maeve.  We've been doing EC and in the last few days she's started signing potty to let me know she has to go. I'm blown away. 

Happy Summer Vacation Mal!

congrats on the job Everr! Hope that your child care situation comes together. Sounds tough.

Pictures: There is a woman here that I really want to do pictures with. I want family pictures but not sure I can talk DH into it. At the very least I may just say we are doing me and the girls and guilt him into it! Ha!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#337 of 1166 Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 PM

Ooooh pictures that's a good idea. I know a couple photographers I should see if I get some done. 

Sue that's so cool about the EC. Good luck with the festival. The other thing I was going to add is that if I don't put a focus on the food and act nonchalant about it they usually have less of a reaction to it. As long as they have a substitute they like they are happy. This is harder with school for me since there is less control and advanced warning. 

Cindy that's so funny about the pre go hormones effecting the chicken. 

Ever I hope your childcare works itself out and congrats on the job.

Mal yay for being done for the summer. I'm jealous. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#338 of 1166 Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well I think I'm going to keep R at the daycare he's at.  I talked to my mom about it last night and she said she'd help with the extra costs to keep him there.  Which is such a relief because I was feeling so guilty about switching him.  The poor kid always seems to get the short end of the stick :(  I went to visit a home daycare today just to see but I'm even more sure I want to keep him where he is.  The woman seemed very nice and she has a great schedule with lots of outdoor time.  But it was a small house and a bit messy and I just can't picture R being happy there at all.  I think he would be bored and it would be very very hard for him.  I'm hoping that once I start working there will be extra shifts available or maybe I can find a second job to help me get more of the daycare subsidized.  I'll still need help for Saturdays but my mom is mostly around and I have other family too.  I'll figure it out.  

Anyway!

Re photography - I want to get more done too!!  The only pro pics I have were in a studio and I'd love some outdoor ones.  Actually my new boyfriend (eek, can I call him that?? (formerly 'bus guy')) is an amazing photographer.  It's just a hobby but he is so talented.  I haven't introduced R yet but when I do I'll ask him to do a photo shoot for us :)

Sue - That is so awesome!!  I tried EC with R but got too lazy.  And it took him forever to start signing.  But, I still credit all my EC attempts to R's early potty training (well, that and the use of cloth diapers).  I'm glad to hear F is getting better :)

Cindy - Lol, poor chicken!  And I'd love to see a pic of M all dressed up :)

Mal - Woohoo!  Congrats!  What a relief to be done :)  Put your feet up and enjoy your summer break!

#339 of 1166 Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM

Cindy, hooray for a restful night! Fingers crossed that M continues to have luck in the fire truck bed.  How are YOU feeling?  Seems like the fall will be here so soon!  Too funny about your chicken.  

I love the name Rose.  DH wanted Aubs to be Audrey Rose, which ended up Aubrey Ruth.  I think Audrey Rose is also the name of some ship in a movie or something. So I've pumped twice now (trying to slowly build a little stash) and I thought of you.  I told you my augmented side has the better supply this time, right?  Its weird, because the un-augm. side gets soft when its empty, but the augmented side really doesn't get as soft.  Like the scar tissue is firmer or something.  Weird.  Still very grateful that it is better this time around.

Sue, fantastic about the lack of potty accidents. That's going to make Fiona feel more confident too... Your DH's reaction sounds like what I would expect of mine.  But things will adjust, of course.  I have to admit I'm curious about your DH's job...sounds like something mine would love.  Does he work for NOAA?  

Ever, did you say BOYFRIEND? winky.gif  Is it official?  Are you boxing up the granny panties and shaving again and all that?  (IMO that's the worst part of dating!)  I hope that R can stay where he is.  If he does have to transition, maybe you can do it at the start of the school year, or the middle or something, when other kids are going back so that its not so weird for him.  I know what you mean about the poor kid thing though.  DH went to 10 different schools between Kindy and 12th grade, because his family was always moving--dad in jail, mom changing jobs, living with family members.  He isn't traumatized but it definitely impacted him (and the way he feels about the girls' schooling).  Have you gotten a definitive answer back about the job?

Seems like there's more I wanted to say...I'm having trouble keeping up these days.  Someone is always screaming...usually Aubs.  She's not coping well with Mallory all of a sudden.  Guess I should have expected that.  Aubs went to Grandma and Grandpa's house, then came back and has been miserable ever since.  Telling me she's sad all of the time, constantly trying to poke M's eyes, telling me she wants M to stay in my belly forever.  Not good.  DH is gone to Anaheim for a week (back next Friday night) so I'm on my own for now.  Which is actually kind of nice.  I'm going to try to get it together this week while he's gone.  The first task is to keep Aubs busier...I'm just going to try to keep her doing something constantly so that she can't think about Mallory or screaming at me.  Second task is to say "no" less often...because I'm finding myself saying it about stuff that doesn't really matter.  So I'm going to say "stop," "yes," or make a compromise.  At least that's my goal.

AFM, I feel like I'm still newly postpartum.  Mallory is six weeks old today, and I'm STILL sore along the top of the inverted-T.  Much worse than my classical incision.  Still feeling okay about my failed VBAC, but getting some support online through a private FB group and "Special Scars ~ Special Women."  Trying to stay positive.  I need to make my follow up appointment with the OB so that I can get more info--my understanding of what happened needs to get validated (or not) and I need to know if she agrees with the other OB who told me (not in these words) that getting pregnant again would be reckless.  I also need to make a 2 month appt. for Mallory.  Not sure why, since I'm not planning to vax yet.  I do think she has a plugged tear duct, but I guess that will either resolve itself or it won't.  Probably too early to worry about that much.

Next week I start studying for the bar exam, too.  Not sure how many hours/day I'm going to allot for it.  Thankfully M sleeps most mornings, and I can take Aubs to daycare any time for the next two months.  No time like the present to get all of this crap done, huh?  M was 13 lbs. at 4 weeks, so I need to consign a bunch of her stuff. Unless you need hand-me-downs, Courtney or Cindy?  Anything in particular? Mallory is wearing 3 and 3-6 mo. clothes already.  I know ya'll already have girls, but stuff does get worn out.  I had tons of NB and 0-3, then a gap, and a ton of 12 month size stuff. Weird.  I think Aubs was wearing that stuff at like 6-9 mos., when she started solids, so I got rid of the stained stuff.  Who knows.

Big girl waking up from her nap, gotta run....

#340 of 1166 Old 05-25-2012, 01:17 PM

Everr: So glad you can make the daycare thing work! And whoah - BOYFRIEND??? How exciting!! :-) LOL about Kate's comment about packing up the granny panties. Haha. 

Kate: I do recall you saying you had good supply on your augmented side. I forgot to respond. That is so great to hear! I can only hope I have half the luck! I dusted off my "making more milk" book and was reading about causes of low supply. I'm 99% sure mine is from my augmentation. Although, now I see there is a section in there about hormonal reasons and it lists low progesterone and luteal phase defect as a cause! I have no idea what my progesterone levels were when I was pregnant w/M. At least enough to not lose the preg. But it said one mom had a baby and had low supply, tried for #2 and found out she had luteal phase defect, took supplemental progesterone during preg and had a full supply the 2nd time. I guess low progesterone during pregnancy can inhibit proper breast growth in preparation for nursing.  So that is pretty much the same situation as me. Maybe the extra estrogen and progesterone I took for the 1st tri this time will help. But I'm not betting on it. Thanks for the hand me down offer. I think we're good. In fact, I plan on pulling ALL the bins out of the attic this weekend and organizing them and labeling them. Nesting has DEFINITELY set in!

Sue: That is so amazing that she can recognize the urge and sign it so early! I don't recall M using signs before 9-10mos old! I love the idea but I have no idea where to start. Maybe I'll read up on it. 

AFM: So as I said above, nesting has def kicking in. I've been busy sorting everything and giving things to goodwill, cleaning out closets, etc. It's pretty exhausting. LOL. Seems early but I guess I'd rather do it now than when I'm huge. I feel pretty good for the most part. Trying to be active. But yesterday I pushed M in the stroller up to the farmer's market. I was dying from some side cramp by the time we got there. And even though we hung out at the nearby park and with a friend at the market for 3 hours, it kicked in when it came time to walk home. I'd just talked to DH on the phone and he offered to pick us up. I wanted to walk the mile+ home but when I got up to leave it started up again - plus M started crabbing. So I had him pick us up. 

Fall still feels decently far off to me. LOL. But we have some trips planned down to San Diego to see my family next month and Indiana to visit DH's family over the 4th. So time is sure to fly by!

BTW Kate, I've been feeling like I want to try and find ways to say "yes" more - bc "no" is said alot. I'm sure it's part of the age!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#341 of 1166 Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM

re "no": I too am working on this! 3 year olds are so strong willed aren't they?!

kate: DH does work for NOAA- fisheries biologist.

Great to hear your update. Hope the week alone goes smoothly. I'm gearing up for it again next week. This time for a month. Not ideal but it is what it is. Times likes these I wish I had family around though.

Cindy: Totally got those weird side aches with walking during M's pregnancy too! Such a bummer. I decided it was ok to slow down a bit once it became a little bit regular.

girls freaking out... more later1

#342 of 1166 Old 05-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe the cramp was round ligament pain? It felt a bit above where I know the top of my uterus is right now. 

I forgot to tell you guys - I think we may have picked a name!! Gemma Rose (pronounced Jem-ah). I kinda threw it out there last week and DH liked it and last night he told me he's getting attached to the name. So it's not for sure yet by any means, but it's lovely to think we may have agreed on one so easily this time! Def. not sharing w/anyone in real life - but wanted to share w/you guys. :-)

#343 of 1166 Old 05-25-2012, 08:26 PM

I love the name Gemma!! And Rose goes with it so well! Gemma was on the short list for Greta. It was one we both liked a lot, but for some reason just couldn't pull the trigger on it. 

Kate, so good to hear from you! I hope you can survive the week without your DH. I'm sure you guys will do great. Although, I think I would have lost it if DH left for a week when I was 6 weeks pp. I'm really spoiled though, he pretty much never leaves town. He does have to go for a week-long pole climbing training thing right after school starts up again. I'm already dreading that! I'm sorry Aubrey is feeling down. Does she like to help with the baby? Helping me change diapers and things like that always made Owyn really excited. 

And a big yeah that to the saying "no" problem. We have a lot of it here too. I've been working really hard on it myself. DH has a really hard time with it. It's like "no" is his go-to response to any question she asks. I really try not to interfere with him parenting the girls, but he sometimes needs reminders that Owyn is only 3 years old and his expectations can be a little ridiculous for a 3 year old to live up to. 

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#344 of 1166 Old 05-26-2012, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sue- how'd the festival go? And brag away b/c that is totally brag worthy!!

Kate- I'm good for clothes but my twin sister is having her first and could probably use them as she only has a few outfits right now. The bar exam? wow, you are pretty awesome to be doing all that, I'm impressed

Cindy- I had that happen when I pulled June in the wagon to the store and it was worse on the way back b/c of all the groceries, I would have totally called Hubs to pick me up if he wasn't at work.

Mal- yay for summer break. i always feel happy even when the girls are out of school, I bet you are doubly happy.

Everr- boyfriend, woohoo, although I don't envy you needing to shave all the time now.

nothing really new with me.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#345 of 1166 Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Cindy- i LOVE Gemma Rose. Gemma is one of my favorite names but people said having a jewel and a gem would be too much.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#346 of 1166 Old 05-27-2012, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)

Cindy - I like Gemma Rose.  :)

Everr - Boyfriend! Awesome.  Hope it continues to go well.

Sue - Glad to hear the diet is helping F's pottying. I know that my husband had horrible bedwetting and accident problems as a child until his mom figured out his food intolerances (milk, in his case).  He did grow out of it eventually, and is fine with milk now.  And awesome about Maeve!  I was so fed up with potty-training K when L was born that I didn't even want to think about the potty for her.  But she does stay dry at night and seems interested in the potty, so maybe she'll be easier. Good luck having the kids to yourself again.  It is easier in the summer, I think. Though I'm lucky for now, my husband is going away for less than a week next time, then not again until August.

Kate - One thing I found that helped when L was little, was remembering to take time to actually be physical with K.  Hugging, lap-sitting, horseplay, whatever...  I found that I was spending so much time holding, nursing, and carrying the little one I was so touched out and never touched my older kid anymore.  Still have that problem somewhat.  But it does go in phases.  K was OK with L when she was a newborn, terrible when she was a crawler, and now they're good again now that she's becoming a toddler.

Saying no:  I often find myself saying "it's not time for X, it's time for Y".  More so than no.  Which is better, but really it's OK to let him lead occasionally on what's going to happen.

AFM - I've spent nearly all of the past week outside.  :)  It's been mostly beautiful, the snow all melted, the weather got warm (up to a high of 60), I got the garden finished planting and growing (I was so proud of my thumbnail-sized radish today!), and we've been doing a sort of "backyard adventure" project with the kids where we went all around our tiny neighborhood learning birds, taking pictures, exploring in the woods, etc...  I love this time of year.

#347 of 1166 Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, boyfriend :)  So yes I have to shave regularly lol!  I actually had some sugaring done and am going again tomorrow, it hurts but the hair stays away for almost a month so it's worth it.  AND, yesterday I let him meet R.  It went very well.  I asked R after what he thought of him and he said "He's very nice and also beautiful" lol!  I'm excited about where this is headed right now :)

Erin - I'm glad you're getting some nice weather!!  I can't imagine the snow just melting now.  Yikes.  We're into some gorgeous summer weather now and I love it!

Cindy - Oh I love Gemma, so cute!  Makenna and Gemma.. Aww <3

#348 of 1166 Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Kate - You have so much going on!  It sounds like things are going well though.  Hopefully you stop having pain soon, that part is not fun at all :(  And studying for the bar exam??  Good luck!!

AFM - I should be hearing about the job today but I'm sure I've got it.  One of my references is my friend and she was called this morning and they thought I was perfect for the job :)  So I'm sure they'll call soon.  I'm anxious to hear when I will start!  And R is definitely staying where he is.  My mom's going to help with that.  Such a relief!  

I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not but I got my final marks for the year and it's all A's and I made the Dean's List :)  How's that for a single mama??  I just need to keep it up next year!  

#349 of 1166 Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 AM

Everr- that's awesome, way to go!!!

Oh and I totally won the co-sleeper! yay.

#350 of 1166 Old 05-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Everr: boyfriends and jobs and grades! Woot Woot! That is a lot and you should be proud! Glad R thought bus guy was beautiful! :) Too cute!

Courtney: Yeah for the win!

Cindy: Love Gemma Rose! Pretty!

Erin: I wish I could say my garden is in and growing but in the next few days i will be able to. We got a late start this year and had to rethink the plan anyway. No carrot, potatoes or peas for us! Also the garlic that we planted in the fall is up.  Hoping to trade our friend from the brewery for beer!

The festival went well. She loved the rides and the parade! We ate very little and pretty much took turns taking her around to look at stuff or go on the rides while the other ate some yummy food so we weren't eating in front of her. It worked out! The food can't compete with the spinning apple and the airplane ride anyway! :) She did eat ice cream which I know realize probably had eggs in it. oops! Learning all the time...

Starling we miss you. Are you back? If not I'm even more jealous!

#351 of 1166 Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Courtney: Yay!! I'm so glad you won!!

Everr: All As and deans list? I am SO proud of you!!! And you must have quite a looker there for a boyfriend if your 3 yr old little boy called him beautiful! ;-) Very cool that you are at the point where you feel comfortable introducing him to R - and even better that is went well. I'm sure you were nervous. 

Sue: Glad the festival went well. Ugh - so hard not to be able to give her ice cream. Sorbet it is unless you make your own, I suppose. 

Erin: Glad you are able to get out and enjoy the weather and your garden. I love this time of yr!

AFM: Nothing exciting. Spent all day walking around San Francisco. Walked clear across the city and back - but stopped a lot along the way. I felt pretty good. It was probably about 5 miles. I'm spending today sorting through all the bins of M's old clothes and labeling sizes. Had all sorts of sizes mixxed altogether. I pulled out all the newborn and 0-3mos clothes and found all my newborn prefolds and covers. Man do we have way too many tiny clothes!!Ok, I better get back to sorting. Had to take a break and eat bc the decaf coffee I got with a "tiny sprinkling" of caffeinated beans actually had WAY too much caffeine for me this time and feel all cooky. Good for sorting, I suppose. LOL. Planning on BBQing ribs later. DH is pretty thrilled to try out meat recipes now that he has someone to share them with.

Cindy

#352 of 1166 Old 05-28-2012, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)

Courtney - Congratulations!

Everr - Congratulations to you too!  A boyfriend, straight As, and a job?  Awesome. You are kicking a**

Sue - I didn't even think about the garden thing with all of F's sensitivities.  Beets, chard, cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi, brussel sprouts, radishes, lettuces, arugula, and onions?  All those grow well here, and are some of our staple veggies (besides carrots, potatoes and peas).  And I don't think you're all that late.  I'm just impatiently early. Sucks you can't give her ice cream though.  Aren't there kinds without eggs?

Cindy - I could NOT handle caffeine in either pregnancy, which made me (a regular coffee drinker) very sad.  I remember going to an espresso stand literally on the way home from the hospital with K, I was so excited to have it again.

#353 of 1166 Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We're back!

We got back a couple of weeks ago, but then I had to go to the east coast for a few authorly things.  I took H with me and left E with dp and my mom.

Had a great time!  More later.

Congrats, Courtney!  I tried to vote a few times, but it was when we were in CR and I'm not sure that it worked.  I loved the picture even before I knew it was yours!  Gorgeous photo.

Congrats to you too, Ever ... way to rock the Dean's List, woman!  And ooh-la-la about being twitterpated.  So fun!  And exciting to have ramped it up to the meet-the-child stage.  When do we get to meet him?  winky.gif

Kate, you busy woman.  Don't get burnt out!

Sue ... Glad that your DH is back to help defuse all of the food complexities.  When, oh, when do we get to go camping together?

Mal ... Yay for your school year being done!

Cindy ... I didn't have caffeine at all during either pregnancy, or while prepping to be pregnant, or while nursing either, so really, I've been off caffeine for about four years, with a few exceptions here and there.  H woke up at 4am today, and DP isn't around for the next couple of days (restaurant staffing disaster), and so I got a caffeinated latte this morning.  It was great!  I might start drinking it again.  I don't like drinking it when I'm on the ambulance though, because it ramps up by adrenalin rushes and makes me shaky.  But for recovery from sleepless nights and needing to be fully present for two small kids?  You bet!  I got so much done!  Laundry, housekeeping, installed H's bike seat, went for a bike ride with both kids, made supper, and did bedtime with a smile on my face!  Now, may not be the caffeine, but it very well might be!

Hi Nilla!  Hope all is going well with your end of semester stuff?  I might have lost track of where you're at with that ... sorry!

Erin ... I am often jealous of your rural, outdoor life.  We are constantly debating relocating back to the bush.  Sigh.  Until then, I shall just live vicariously through you!  Sounds dreamy!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#354 of 1166 Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 AM

Everr: Congrats on making the dean's list! Sounds like things are really great for you right now. Soak it up, you SO deserve it!!

Starling: Welcome back! I've seen some of the pics you've put on FB. Looks like you've been having a great time!

Oh, how I miss caffeine! I mostly gave it up while I was pregnant with Owyn, then introduced it at the end of that pregnancy. I had caffeine while nursing her and it never seemed to make a difference with her. I kept a little caffeine in my diet while pregnant with Greta (who was over a pound bigger than Owyn, so much for caffeine causes lower birth weight huh?!). But she can't handle it while I'm nursing. If I have even a little, she sleeps horrible. Just restless and fussy all night. Every now and then I'll think, "Oh, that was just in my head. It wasn't really the caffeine that caused it." Then, I find I am sorely mistaken when we have yet another horrible night of sleep. So, after learning my lesson about a dozen times, caffeine is totally gone right now. 

Nothing much new here. We had an extra long weekend with lots of BBQs. Owyn went swimming almost all weekend. She is definitely my little water girl! She starts swimming lessons in a few weeks. The first time she's old enough to take the class on her own and not with a parent. After watching her all weekend, I think she'll do great!

#355 of 1166 Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 AM

Starling: Welcome back! We still want CR stories when you have time! LOL about finally having your first caffeinated beverage. Glad it made for such a happy and productive day! :-) 

Erin: To funny that you got a coffee on the way home from the hospital!

I love the taste of coffee but am very sensitive to caffeine, no matter what my body is doing. I usually don't drink much caffeinated. I totally stopped drinking any coffee before we did IVF (even decaf). The decaf has creeped back in. And now that I keep getting headaches, I find getting decaf with a tiny bit of caffeinated makes them go away (like 1/2 inch of caf with the rest decaf). Yetserday we went to the yummiest coffee place ever. They have about 20 dif kinds and they brew them by the cup. It's very easy to blend them - so I usually get decaf with a sprinkle of caf beans. Their regular cups are brewed very strong - like 3x the amount of caf than a regular coffee. I found that out the hard way when I was nursing M. I don't know what they did to me yesterday but I felt so awful! No one there has screwed up my mix before! I did get all my sorting done though! LOL.

Cindy

#356 of 1166 Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Crap. My main point of posting was to talk about swimming lessons and I forgot. Ha!

M has been doing swimming w/DH. I went out of my way to find a class she could still do w/one of us bc she is so shy lately. But half the time, she just wants to play around and not participate. DH thinks she might be better off taking the class without him after all (with him watching from outside the pool). But I am a bit afraid that she will cry and refuse to go in the pool without him. I'm not sure if we should shelve the lessons until she is older. Or if waiting until she is older will make it worse - like maybe we already waited too long to have her in the water a lot.

#357 of 1166 Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM

I was worried Owyn wouldn't do lessons without me. But with Greta, I can't really do the class with her now unless I wanted to find a sitter. The class is while DH is working... I think it will work out though. I worked it out with her best friend's mom. They are going to take the class together. They like to kind of show each other up, so we're hoping they will motivate each other. We'll see if it works or not!

#358 of 1166 Old 05-29-2012, 03:36 PM

Erin: Your list is just about everything we've been working on for the garden! :) 

Starling: SO glad to hear you had a great time. You are a busy woman. How did E do with you being away?

Caffeine- yes please. Must drink coffee daily. I gave it up for my pregnancy with Fiona but not Maeve. They were pretty close in size with M being a few ounces over. I drink a couple mugs full every morning and often some earl gray tea in the afternoon.

Swimming- We have got to get F in the pool more often. I suck at it. 

Canning beans this afternoon and dehydrating beets for beet chips. Hoping F will dig them!

#359 of 1166 Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Yeah, not going back onto coffee regularly any time soon.  Had one this morning and was shaky and irritable afterward.  On occasion, I guess.

Lessons:  E is doing gymnastics, which is not a parent participation class.  I was nervous about her not wanting to go in without me, but she hollered goodbye while she ran in without so much as a look back.  The parents sit way up in bleachers that are on the second floor, and she has never even looked up.  Funny.  We're waiting on swim lessons.  She isn't interested in putting her head under, and she'll need to do that to move on in the lesson sequence.  So, no lessons for now.  We swim twice a week though, so she's getting quite good at her water skills other than that. 

AFU:  Who else bikes with kids?  Ever?  Erin?  What's your set up?  Advice? We have a single trailer and then I just put on a hand-me-down rear mount seat, which I had in mind for H.  Yesterday I put H in the seat, and E in the trailer, for a half hour ride.  Today we went further abroad, and I worried about H falling asleep in the mounted seat, so I put him in the trailer and E in the seat.  But then it was dodgy getting on and off the bike with 35 pounds!  I didn't like that at all.  And H did fall asleep, and was all crooked and looked uncomfortable.  E really loved being high up and able to chat with me, but she's five pounds away from being too heavy, and it was so awkward not to drop her and the bike when I got on and off. 

Wondering if a double trailer would be better?  But I can imagine E getting frustrated with H grabbing at her.  Wish I had the money for one of those Dutch cargo bikes! 

Now that H is almost 8 months old, I'm going to say it ... he's actually an "easier" baby than even E was!  How'd I luck out with that?  One of his favourite things to do is to "shop."  We put a bunch of his toys in a bucket, and he "shops" from it for ages.  Putting things in, taking things out, playing.  Sometimes half an hour!  Just hanging out on the floor, busy with his toys.  And he's happy as heck, and easy to please, and a delight!  He is waaaaaaaay more interested in moving around than E though, so I guess that he require more chasing-after.  He's pulling up and cruising now.  Not that interested in crawling, same as E.  The difference is that he can, whereas E never mastered crawling.  E walked at ten months.  I'd rather he wait longer than that! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#360 of 1166 Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome back Starling!!  H does sound like a great baby!  The more I see other babies the more I realize just how difficult R was.  I think I rolled with it pretty good at the time and just assumed a lot of it was typical baby stuff or due to me being on my own.  I also think he's a difficult toddler/preschooler lol.  Maybe it's just me :P  

As for biking - R is still in his Wee Ride Kangaroo seat which is in front of me.  This will likely be the last summer for it though, I think he'll be too big next year.  But, next year he'll be old enough for one of these so that will be nice.  I like doing longer trail rides so pulling a trailer would never work.  Actually, I prefer just having free time to go biking by myself.. But sometimes it's fun to bring R along :)

Caffeine - No way.  I've never been a coffee drink.  Sometimes I'll have tea but usually just herbal.  If I drink caffeine it really messes me up.

Programs - Well I missed out on the spring swimming lessons because it's so crazy hard to get into them in this city!  June 20th is the sign up for July/August so I'll try again.  He is in soccer Monday evenings which is fun, R loves it.  

Tags
Childhood

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page