February '09 Mamas ~ Childhood Chat :) - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#781 of 1166 Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When is E's birthday?! I know she is a January too! Happy birthday to you sweet girl!!!

Can't really believe our babies are turning 4! Thanks for the friendship over these many years Mamas!!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#782 of 1166 Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM

Makenna's b-day party was yesterday. I think it was a success. They loved decorating the wands. They liked making clothespin fairies but the glue didn't want to stick too well (I had made my sample with a glue gun). They still liked it though. This was the first yr I did not explicitly say no gifts on the invite. Can you believe one of her gifts was a box of kellog's disney princess fruit chews?! I'm still wierded out by it. Especially knowing the mom. She is a good friend. My guess is a regift and that she thought we were doing no gifts so they jsut brought something as a token? Who knows. It was weird. Is it sad that I was dissapointed for her in the gift dept? Another odd gift was a set of schleigh animals - but they are little tiny birds. Also a regift, I'm guessing. Anyway, not the point. :-) She was happy enough.

M's real birthday is tomorrow. I plan to make choc chip pancakes and she is looking forward to going to the bead store and picking out beads. She has school tomorrow and doesn't want to miss it. But she didn't want to do the birthday celebration at school - probably too much attention on her. We didn't get much for gifts. Too much for xmas. So we got a wooden castle doll house for $20 at Michaels. It needs to be painted (or not) - but that can be a project for her to do with her daddy. And we got her a camera. That's it. Oh and a phonics workbook. 

I think of you all often and keep meaning to come write and then forget. So I'm glad Sue posted! Aria is 4 mos today. Where does the time go? Feels like just yesterday that I gave birth to Makenna. They both have check ups on wed - looking forward to seeing how big they both are. And I'm afraid M might need her tonsils out! She snores so bad all the sudden lately - and she is not stuffy at all during the day. Her tonsils are huge. But not painful.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#783 of 1166 Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

E's birthday is on Thursday.  Happy birthday to M tomorow!  And happy Birth Day to you, Cindy!

I cannot believe that it is nearly four years ago that we were having our babies.  Amazing.

We're heading to Whistler for a couple of nights for her birthday.  She asked for a horse-drawn sleigh ride, so that's what we're doing on her actual birthday.  We got her a scooter, and a rubber snake that she's had her eye on for a long time, and some beading supplies.

I took her to the ped last week to talk about her anxiety/OCD stuff, so that's officially on the radar now.  We also got her a necklace that's meant for babies to play with/chew while nursing or in arms, in hopes that she'll chew on that instead of her fingers, her shirt, her stuffed animals, blankets, and the gum she is always asking for.  We've been letting her have unlimited Spry gum, but it's getting out of hand.  The ped (who I adore) is very laid back, so he recommeded a couple of books and said we'll keep an eye on it and when/if her rituals/OCD stuff ever interfere with her daily life, we'll revisit it then.

H is awesome.  So loving and funny, and curious about everything.  He is such a great kid to have around.  

My audio stories venture for kids is moving forward ... met with the web designer, a composer (for intro music ditty), researching mics and interfaces for recording, and talking up people for advertising swaps, etc.  Fun!

Thinking of you all!

xo

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#784 of 1166 Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Happy birthday to all our 4 year olds! I can't believe they are turning 4. I believe Owyn has the last birthday in the bunch, so I am enjoying hearing about your celebrations. It also helps motivate me to get owyn's party planned.

Kate, we got the dress today and it is beautiful!! It fits Owyn great too! She was so excited to try it on, and once she did she said "is this dress for my toy story party?!" Oh no, this girl has asked for a cinderella party for almost 3 months, and a cinderella party is what she will get!

Owyn has a well child check tomorrow. We got her in early to start the conversation about her hearing. It has gotten worse in the last several months and now she's had 2 ear infections in the last few weeks, after never having an ear infection before in her life. It will be interesting to get her doc's opinion on it. He is pretty laid back about most things.

We made an offer on a house tonight! Still working on selling ours so it's contingent on that. We're cautiously optimistic about it. On the iPad now, so it's hard to link, but when I get on the desktop I will show you guys some pics!

Missing you ladies lately. Holidays and birthdays and illnesses are keeping us busy here, but you're all in my thoughts!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#785 of 1166 Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Happy Birthday to all the 4 year olds! They're all getting so grown up.

K's not until Valentine's day, but he's very excited, and has been telling us forever he wants to bob for apples on his birthday (not that he's ever done it, and I think I'll have to modify that to apple slices for little mouths)

Mal - Hope the hearing check goes OK. Is that the kind of thing they can put in tubes for? Exciting about the house, too. I hope it works out, you guys have been trying so long.

Starling - Exciting about the audio stories - that sounds like a great project. And I hope the necklace helps E.

Cindy - Hope the tonsils are OK. My husband was supposed to have his out as a child, but they didn't have the money, so he never did. He seems fine with them now.

AFM - We are thoroughly entrenched in little-boy-dinosaur obsession these days. Which, is actually kind of fun. I've learned quite a bit myself about the evolutionary pathways that led to dinosaurs and all the other bizarre prehistoric critters from reading each library book as many times as it takes for him to memorize it (and these ones are so long!). And I do prefer it to the other budding obsession with pretending to "shoot" or "explode" things with any available projectile-like object.

L is a happy boisterous willful little just-turned 2 year old, seemingly determined to be much older. She talks in paragraphs, runs and jumps and climbs and pretends with all the other kids - I swear the competition with K has met her hit every single milestone sooner. Any time she tells us her age even, she makes sure to say "I'm 2! And on my next birthday I'll be 3!"

We've been struggling a little bit with how to juggle our family's schedule to make sure everyone's needs are met. We have infinite flexibility, with everyone working/learning at home, but sometimes it seems like that can make things even more of a puzzle.

#786 of 1166 Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 AM

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1907-Willow-St_Higginsville_MO_64037_M81693-98677

Okay, there is the house! I'll probably come back at a later time and delete that link since the address is on the website, but I wanted to show you ladies. Compared to our house now, it is just so BIG! The bedrooms are big, the kitchen is huge, the basement is massive. DH already has plans for building a bar in the basement, of course. I love how everything is laid out. The girls rooms are right with ours. And big enough for them to still share if they want to, which we may do and just use the other bedroom as a toy room on the main floor. I don't think I can convince them to play on their own in the basement quite yet, maybe when they're a little older. We don't love that the living space is separate from the kitchen/dining, but we've been brainstorming how we can change that. The basement steps are between those two rooms, so it would be a little tricky to open it up. We'll figure that out later. The nice thing is that nothing needs to be done to the house right away. We'll change some things, but they're projects that can wait a beat. I love that the yard is fenced in, something that DH will never pay to have done! Oh and my sister lives right next door, which is a pro for me and a con for DH, but one of his good friends from work lives across the street so that helps. :) Wish us luck, I can't wait to hear back from the sellers!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#787 of 1166 Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 PM

Great House Mal! Fingers crossed. Oh to have that much space!!

Happy Birthday to Makenna and Esmé! Our babies are getting big!

So excited about the audio stories Starling! I'll be among the first in line to buy! So very cool! I hope its a total hit and you can begin working from home.

Fiona began taking violin lessons last week. She is in love!! Practices all the time- can't wait to go to lessons again. I'm thrilled! So great! Her birthday is Friday. DH got the day off so we can spend the day as a family. Saturday is her party. We are decorating paper birthday crowns and making fairy wands. Cindy, I'd love to see what you guys made. Pics?

Starling- Fiona does a lot of chewing on fingers and clothes too. We have a whole slew of chewies for her now. It has really helped. She really likes these... http://www.amazon.com/Chewy-Tubes-Ps-and-Qs/dp/B0018C0HTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359494325&sr=8-1&keywords=ps+and+qs

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#788 of 1166 Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Sue: I didn't take a ton of pics but I'll see what we managed to get before my camera battery died. Basically, I bought super glittery card stock and cut out stars. We bought sticks at the craft store and painted them with glitter paint and then I hot glue gunned on the stars. We bought some pink stick on jewels and a big thing of various shape and color sequins and a thing of butterfly sequins and they glued that stuff on. Fun to see how each girls did it and they were each so proud when they were done. I'll try and upload pics now before baby wakes up.

Mal: Great house! I hope they accept your offer and your house gets a nibble soon!

Starling: I am SO impressed with the speed at which you are making this project happen! Awesome!! I would LOVE to buy one too. So special. 

Happy birthday to all the littles with special days this week!

Today is M's b-day and she is at school now. They made her a birthday crown and a birthday book and will sing but she didn't want to do the whole celebration - so another girl is doing it today and she will get to eat a popsicle from her so I'm sure she will be happy enough. We had a lovely morning of choc chip pancakes and presents. She adored both the camera and the castle doll house and was super busy playing with them all morning. We went to the bead store and got $40 worth of special beads - and she promptly came home and played with them - transfering them from here to there and back again. Daddy is trying to get home in time to pick her up from school. She requested mac and cheese for dinner so I best go buy some soon! Nice day. And probably the first time I am not wistful thinking back to her birth - I think bc I had he privelege of experiencing Aria's birth since M's last birthday. 

Can you believe my husband is actually entertaining the idea of a 3rd child? I seriously doubt it would ever come to be between finances and our lack of fertility. But it's a nice thought.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#789 of 1166 Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM

Ok not the greatest pic but you can see a couple finished wands and a couple clothespin fairies lying on the table. We had extra wands so I think I will have M decorate some and mail them to her cousins.

#790 of 1166 Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM

Happy Birthday to the big girls! 

Cindy, love the fairy wands. Aubrey loves making things (mostly pictures) for her cousins and putting them in the mail. The mail is such a magical thing for some reason.  Didn't you get married in Hawaii? I'm remembering you in a dress, with your DH, somewhere beautiful....?  I would be secretly thrilled if DH were considering a 3rd child.  But it will never happen.  I'm trying to convince him to get a V so that I'll know we're done. 

Sue, thanks for the bump on the Swap. I traded my wrap for this guy: Natibaby Butterflies 4  I've never had a size 4 so I hope I like it. I can't believe Fiona is into violin.  I mean, it would have been awesome for me at that age, because I was that sort of kid, but Aubs would destroy a violin in about 2 minutes. And refuse to practice. So neat how developed their little personalities are already! Really lousy about Maeve possibly having allergies. We're dealing with a sensitivity to some food with Mallory as well. I'm not going to say allergy, but when I let her "try" (i mean even lick) certain things, she gets a rash around her mouth, gags, and vomits violently. So far its happened with a Dairy Queen cake (seriously, I just let her have maybe two licks!), raisin pumpkin bread (again, just a taste), and most recently one piece of corn Chex with milk on it. Not that she should really be eating any of this stuff, but Aubrey never had a reaction like this.  I'm suspecting she's sensitive to either milk (but she's been okay with yogurt?), wheat, or corn/corn syrup.  We're mostly just avoiding anything that could contain those for now. Fortunately she's not very interested in food yet.

Speaking of not interested in food, she wants to eat before napping.... back later. 

#791 of 1166 Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Birthday to Esme, Makenna, and Fiona!!!  FOUR YEAR OLDS EVERYWHERE!  Hope everyone is having great celebrations :)

I've been so busy it's ridiculous.  I'm not doing so well personally.  I'm depressed, stressed, and I feel like I'm falling apart.  I'm not sure what to do.  I'm trying to just focus on one day at a time but I get so down sometimes it's hard to see the light.  

Anyway, I still like to check in here and see what everyone's up to, but I don't always have the energy to respond.  Sorry :(

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#792 of 1166 Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM

Ugh... Our offer was rejected. I was surprised by that. I really thought they would at least counter-offer. They want a written letter of pre-approval from our bank and they want to see a contract on our house before negotiating any more. The pre-approval is no big deal. We've submitted the paperwork, just need to set a price to get pre-approved for. We were holding off until they answered because we don't want them running our credit more than necessary. Not knowing how long this process could take makes things a little tricky there. But we'll get the letter. As far as the house, not much else we can do there. DH is finishing up a couple of projects that should be done by the end of this month, then we're planning to have an open house. If we don't get any nibbles from the open house, we'll lower the price a little. I get their concerns, but we were hopeful anyway. Their house has been on the market since August 2011 and hasn't been shown since last March. We hoped they would be excited enough about getting any offer after that much time that they would be willing to negotiate a little more. DH was bummed too. He gets much less motivated when he's disappointed, so I hope he doesn't slow down on his projects now. I definitely intend to put in another offer once things start moving on this house. I just need to keep the fire lit under him to get these things done!

#793 of 1166 Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Mal: such a bummer about the house offer. I hope you guys get all of your projects finished and have a wonderful open house!

Kate: Gorgeous wrap! I have a size 4 linen natibaby and love it. Of course Maeve is less and less into being wrapped these days. Sometimes she yells at me when i wrap her... "Stuck! Stuck!"

Erin: Loved your blog post about K's project. I just finished that book and loved it! So inspiring. Do you guys think you'll homeschool the kids? I know you have gone back and forth a bit on this. As we begin to dip our toes into here, I'm more and more excited about it. Fiona too!

Fiona had a nice birthday and a sweet little party. All the kids she invited were able to come which was really nice. Wand making was a total hit!

Baby calls- I'll be back later with more.

#794 of 1166 Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Mal - too bad they didn't take the offer, hope they reconsider later

Kate - hopefully she'll grow out of allergies if she has them, she's still so little. And you may have a while of wrapping yet - L is still wrapped for hikes almost daily, and she's 2.

I know what you mean about all their different personalities. If I gave K a violin, he'd immediately pick it up upside down or some such, then insist that he was going to teach me how to play it his way.

Sue - Thanks. I love the Project-Based Homeschooling book. Even after a fairly short time trying to implement some of what's in it (not all, and not perfectly!) I've been amazed at what K's been doing. There's a forum that's quite good too, and the author responds very nicely and thoroughly to anyone's questions.

We're pretty set on the homeschool path now. The more I read, learn, and think about it, the more it makes sense for so many reasons. The biggest ones being the opportunity for child-led learning and the freedom it gives the kids. It seems hypocritical to set up a life for the adults in the family based on flexibility, pursuing our passions, and being able to be out in nature - then not giving the same to the kids.

Also, my experience with preschool has led me to think that school logistics are a time-suck for parents, not a time saver. I think the Head Start teacher probably has the impression that the reason we've gone from regular attendees to occasional drop-ins is that I'm too lazy to wake up early and to bike into town every day.

Cindy - Those fairy wands are great.

Happy birthday to Makenna, Esme, and Fiona!

AFM - I was thinking K's birthday party would be a fairly simple kids+snacks+cake and hang out affair. However, he has other plans, and is insisting on a "Plant-eating Dinosaurs Bobbing for Apples Party", which he's super excited about. I still have yet to figure out quite what he has in mind for it, though, other than that he will make himself a dinosaur costume, and the yurt will somehow be decorated as a place that dinosaurs would like, and the dinosaurs will all bob for apples. I don't want to take over, so I'm curious to see what he comes up with.

He also really wants to paddle across the bay and camp out to look for clam fossils, so we'll probably do that early next week when the tides are better.

#795 of 1166 Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Erin, I like the idea of plant eaters bobbing for apples. Why not, right? Makes me think of Jurassic Park..."veggie-saurus, veggie-saurus!" I'm really impressed with the project, maybe should add that book to my list.  I agree, commuting and shuttling kids around is a drain on life. Wish I had a community that was more like-minded. I have trouble getting the girls across the street to play regularly--everyone is so *busy* but I'm not sure what we're actually accomplishing.

Sue, can you believe I don't love the Nati 4? I'm finding that the 20% bamboo is just too stretchy. Or slippery, or something. And I'm honestly disappointed that the pink spots we discussed before I bought it are as obvious numerous as they are. She sort of underestimated them, but I should have asked for more pics.  Oh well. I think I'm going to sell everything i have and buy one wrap and one SSC and try to be okay with that.  Mallory has been getting pissy when I try to wrap her. Not sure what's up with this child.  She's usually so sweet and calm that the fussiness sort of freaks me out.

So yesterday I gave Mallie some Gerber cheeto things that a neighbor had, and she ate six. Then her face swelled, got red and blotchy, and she vomited all over me. So now I'm suspecting either corn or whey from dairy.  Good thing she's still not all that in to regular food.

Ever, wish I could give you a big hug! Is the winter harder for you?  I know it is for me. I don't know the just-right thing to say, but I hope you start feeling better. 'Course if there's anything I can do....

Mal have you had O's hearing checked?  Just wondering how that works with this age group.  Aubrey still has her tubes in from when she was 18 mos. old, believe it or not. 

Courtney, weren't you worried about Cora's hearing too?  Not sure about her hearing, but there's definitely nothing wrong with that child's legs.  Can't believe she got to the top of the ladder! Mallie can't even stand up yet!  And thank goodness.  I can wait!

Nilla, how've you been mama?  Its birthday time so I'm thinking of cakes and wondering what you've got up your sleeve.  I'm making a Lalaloopsy one this year.  Should be interesting.

Starling, anything new with you?

New stuff here--Mallory is much more verbal than Aubrey, despite her general laziness and happy-to-just-be-a-baby attitude.  She's 10 mos and saying Dada, Mama, Aubee, uh-oh, hey you, ah yuv you, and cat. No idea why, as we don't have a cat, but whatever.  Crawling everywhere, no fear at all.  Aubrey is taking a break from gymnastics for the summer and doing swimming lessons at the Y, which are going pretty well.  Also probably doing whiffle ball in the summer because its only $15 for 8 weeks. Hopefully that will be enough to keep her busy.  And now she's waking from her nap...can you believe she still naps for 2 hours every day?  My terrible no good very bad sleeper from 2 years ago?!  Sometimes I forget how awful it was. happytears.gif

#796 of 1166 Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 AM

Kate: I had to show you a pic of Owyn in the dress! This one is going on the invites to her birthday party. I'll have to post more after her party, of her all dolled up!

Hearing: We had her appointment last week. It was just her well-child check with her regular doctor, but we started the conversation. He did say it was a little concerning especially now that she's verbalizing the fact that she can't hear. A lot of her behaviors are hard to read though. Could just be normal 4 year old stuff. He took a look at her ears and blew a little puff of air on each ear drum. He said they didn't move, which means there is likely a build-up of fluid behind the ear drums. However, we were only a week out after finishing antibiotics for an ear infection, so he said it's not too alarming to see fluid still hanging out for several weeks after an ear infection. He didn't feel like we should check it out further right now or do a hearing test because it would be hard to tell if it's really her normal hearing or if it's just from the ear infection. He suggested we wait it out through the winter and talk about this again after she's been healthy for a while. 

Erin: Love the Plant-eating Dinosaurs party! It's so fun to see them coming up with their own ideas this year. Owyn was so set on this Cinderella party and she's never gotten so into it before! 

Everr: How are you doing lately, I miss hearing from you! I'm sure you've got your eye on the prize right now. You are almost done, Mama! You should be proud!

Not much happening here this week. Owyn was sick earlier this week. That's the second week in a row she has run a high fever with no other symptoms. Weird. House stuff is still moving along. We had someone come look at our place this week. Our agent called and told us there was no offer, but he had a long chat with the agent who is selling the house we want. Basically, everything about our offer was good except the contingency on our house. So, she is kind of teaming up with our agent to get our house sold. Obviously, she's thinking she can get two commissions if she sells our house. But I really don't care how it happens, as long as we sell! She more or less told our agent, if we can get our house sold we will get the other house. 

#797 of 1166 Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts ladies.  I think the winter does make it harder.  Combined with school stress and job application stress.  The career I really want after this requires a practicum placement but there's only about 25 placements for 100 students.  It's very very stressful.  And while I'm probably in about the top 15 for marks, I wasn't able to get relevant work experience last summer.  Some of the students moved around across the province to do little summer jobs, but of course I couldn't do that because of R.  I applied to about 8 different places (every place where I could afford daycare) and 5 have already made calls for interviews and I didn't get one.  So there's only 3 left, 1 being my home town so I have a slight advantage (in theory) here.  I had an interview last year but then that manager retired and the new manager isn't from here, so he may not care that I'm from here.  I'm so worried about what I'm going to do if I don't get a placement.  The job market is so tough.

And on top of that my personal life just sucks.  I'm so unbelievably sick of being alone.  I have two guys sort of 'in my life' but I'm not dating either.  One has major commitment issues but we're pretty close friends and the other is a workaholic who is never around but wants to meet up for lunch when he is.  I wish I could just find someone normal who actually wanted to be with me.  I get so frustrated and resentful that I have to do this alone.  I don't even get an every other weekend break or child support or anything.  All I do is go to school or parent.  That's it.  And by 'parent' I mean the bare minimum to keep R alive and busy so that I can get school work done.  I keep trying to tell myself that everything will be better when I have a job but I'm not convinced.  I thought everything would be better when I was in school but it's not.  I feel like I'm constantly putting up with misery for some future better life that I'll never reach.  

Anyway, that's my vent..  

Mal - Owyn is sooo cute!!  I hope everything is a quick fix with the hearing.  I just want to caution that most ear infections are actually viral, not bacterial, so antibiotics would do absolutely nothing to fix.  Good luck with all the house drama!  That's such a stress :/

Kate - R will still nap sometimes on the weekends too!  It's a nice break although usually I'd prefer to keep him up and send him to bed early.  I usually have him in bed, lights out by 7:30.  He goes to sleep very well and sleeps right through til probably 7:30ish.  He was such a horrible sleeper as a baby/young toddler.  And I always would lay down with him when he was younger.  So it's nice that the transition to going to bed on his own has worked out so well.  One catch:  I have to promise to carry him into my bed when I go to sleep or let him go to sleep (on his own) in my bed.  Which I do as long as he goes right to sleep.  I'm going to wean off that soon I think though.  He's getting really annoying to sleep with.

Erin - Love the party idea!  K sounds like such a fun imaginative boy :)  I really need to get R outside more and do more adventures.  He's not really into the winter though and he gets so whiny if we walk anywhere..  

As for R:  He is doing well.  His verbal skills amaze me sometimes.  I love talking to him and listening to him express his thoughts and it amazes me that this is the same little person that was once my sweet little newborn.  He's in swimming now and loves it.  And he is going to T-ball this summer and he says he wants to do soccer again too.. Last year I had to bribe him to go to every soccer game after the first couple.  I really don't want to go through that again.. Maybe it'll be better with him being that much older.  Oh and I realized I need to get him registered for kindergarten! Wow..

#798 of 1166 Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM

Ever ... Hugs mama, I really hope things ease up for you on all fronts!  Love, life, work, home ... all of it.  It's been a long time to be chugging uphill.  Kindergarten?  Do you mean pre-K?  Junior K?  Or are ON cut-offs different?

Erin ... That party sounds great!  

Kate ... E is a miserable mess if she has anything even remotely resembling a nap.  Even if she falls asleep in the car for five minutes.  

Sleep ... I feel like we're coasting.  E says she'll stay in our bed until she's seven now.  It used to be four.  Hahaha.  H is a pretty good sleeper.  I'm working on limiting the night nursing.  Aiming for no nursing between 12-5am.  Mostly works, except when he's teething or sick.

Mal ... What a cutie!  I hope your housing works out!  That's been a long chug uphill too!

Cindy ... How's it with two kids now that you're moving out of the newborn fog?  And yes, those wands are awesome!

Sue ... How's the potential move coming?  We're going to be in Whitehorse in April.  How far away is that from you?  We're going to rent an RV for a while.  Wonder if we could make it to you?

Courtney?  Where are you, mama?  How are things?

Sounds like several of us are in flux right now.  I wonder if there is something to that in the stars?  

AFU:  DP quit her job.  So we're having fun thinking of all kinds of things we could do.  Stay put, move, open a restaurant in a small town, move back to the island, travel for a bit.  The timing is tough, being that I'm about to drop all our savings on my new online venture, but exciting times, nonetheless! The kids are great.  We're having so much fun with them.  

Our neighbours have had the same foster child since she was born two weeks after H, and now she's coming up for adoption, and I think DP and I will step forward and see if we can adopt her.  Trying not to get too excited or hopeful about that!  But it reduces me to tears to think of her going to a strange family where they might not love her like we do.  

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#799 of 1166 Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 AM

And Ever ... I'm going to be in TO in May.  How far is that from you?

And Cindy ... We're heading down your way soon!  DP's last day is Feb 18th, so the next day we're heading south on a Cali-bound roadtrip! We should try to get together!  We might camp at Santa Cruz.

#800 of 1166 Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Starling! Really thinking about you guys and crossing fingers on the adoption front. You guys are amazing!!! Whitehorse is far! We will be on Whidbey for the whole month of July though. Potentially part of May/June too although I'm not sure about that yet. 

Everr: Big hugs mama. You have so much on your plate! I really hope life eases up for you. Crossing fingers the local position is the one for you!

Mal: Sure hope the hearing thing gets sorted soon. I'm sure its heavy on your mind. Does she seem to feel better from the ear infection? Do you think tubes would help with the fluid issue if that is not related to her recent illness? I admit, I know nothing about this. We've not dealt with ear infections here.

Erin: Love K's party plan!

Kate: Bummer about the food allergies!! I'm pretty sure Maeve is dealing with some intolerances too. I think we will go through allergy testing given F's long list.

AFU: We are doing pretty well. Winter is a bit rough on me and I think I've been dealing with some depression but with returning light have been getting out solo after DH gets home from work. It has been really helpful to get to walk the dog- alone, briskly!  DH and I have had a few rough patches but overall feel more connected and on the same page. I'm so grateful for that! He applied for 2 jobs in Oregon which he didn't get. Still looking. Most federal agencies are listing positions as term due to budget constraints. Sucks!!!

Until we can move we plan to try to get to Whidbey 2-3 times a year. DH is going to buy a used  car from a colleague in Seattle so we have a vehicle at my parents. (will pay for itself after 2 trips really since we need to get a rental car otherwise). Then we will be able to do road trips from there too. Excited to not have to ask my mom if I can borrow her car like I'm 17! 

#801 of 1166 Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Starling - Adoption - wow!  How exciting would that be??  I'm thinking of you guys and I hope the adoption process goes smoothly!!  I have dreams of some day fostering, once my life is more together.  My parents always fostered growing up, and my brother that passed away was a foster brother.  I think because of him my main thoughts are on fostering pre-teen/teen boys, once I'm a bit older and can handle something like that.  Maybe when R is around that age.  

And I would LOVE to see you in May!!!  Toronto isn't too far, that's where I got to school :)  We could do something touristy together, museum, zoo..  There's an aquarium opening up too, but not til the summer I think..  Anyway, just let me know when and where :)

I didn't realize BC was different for kindergarten.. We have JK and SK here, so JK starts at age 3 or 4 (all kids born 2009 start this September).  The school I was planning on sending him doesn't have full day kindergarten yet, so I'm going to go with a different one.  I just don't see the point in going every other day when the other days he'll have to be in daycare anyway (less $$ for me!)

Sue - I'm sorry you've been having a rough time *hugs*.  I hope your hubby gets a position in Oregon soon.  It's not fun to wait :(

AFM:  I really want to get a dog.. I've wanted to for a long time actually, but the timing has never been right.  My life is always too busy.  I always thought I would get one when R turned 5 but I think I might move that up a bit.  In reality I probably won't get one until the fall..  I'm nervous about the extra commitment and responsibility and wondering if that will be the tipping point for my stress load.. But I also think it would be really great, and fun, and make my little family feel more like a 'real family', if that makes sense..  I think it would be really great for R too, especially because he doesn't have any siblings.  A dog could be his playmate in a way.  So, maybe soonish.. I was also thinking about this spring.  It would be easier then for the adjustment - taking it out for walks, house training, and all that.  It's exciting to think about :)  

#802 of 1166 Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Starling: Wow, how cool would it be if you really do get to adopt that little girl? So surprising to hear but so awesome! I hope all works out. Yay to your DP for up and quitting a job she doesn't like. Sounds like you guys are going to enjoy some travel for a while before settling down again. I would love love love to see you guys!! I'm jealous - I want to camp. 

Everr: Hang in there mama - there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I do think you will be feeling so much better when you are done with school. Prayers for a job you want! I think a dog is a great idea. But I would wait until you are done with school and have some more time to focus on it. Would you get a puppy or adopt an older dog that needs a home? 

Sue: I'm glad you are getting out for walks at least! I am not even doing that these days.

Mal: Fingers crossed your house sells quickly! Must be so frustrating to be in a holding pattern like that.

AFM: I guess we are in a bit of flux around here too. DH spends about 3 hours/day in the car driving to and from work. And when he gets there he hates his job. A position opened up 10 minutes from our house and he interviewed there last week. But now the guy might not need someone full time. So he is meeting with his old boss from another company who is also somewhere new to see about splitting time with him and the job near our house. Not only would he have a short commute and we'd get to see him more, it would be a lot more money. We all have our hope up way too high, I'm sure. But even if he doesn't get this, he has to get something - he won't stay where he is. His boss knows this and is at least trying to move him to a different client - one where he worked for 7 yrs before taking this job and where the culture is way more laid back. So we'll see.

Life has settled down a bit now that Aria is 4 mos. She is pretty easy most of the time. Just a happy little person. It's makenna that gives me a run for my money these days. DH got home at like 7 or 8 most of last week and one night worked until midnight. I was pretty worn out from dealing with M last week. I am off to call the doc right now bc her tonsils are huge and I think they need to come out asap. She snores and woke up on Friday night freaking out that she couldn't breathe. She is also having some episodes where she says she uinhaled whatever she is eating - but I think really it's just getting stuck on her tonsils bc it is happening sort of frequently. We did see the pediatrician a week ago and she said they were big but just by looking she wasn't overly concerned. But she referred us to the specialist. The big tonsils coupled with her smaller than normal airways are not a good combo. So I am worried every night when I listen to her breathing. I just hope it can wait until after our trip to Kauai in 12 days. I'm pretty sure it can. Anyway, part of me wonders if M's disposition isn't made more crabby at times bc she is not getting restful sleep anymore. I keep reading that big tonsils can effect sleep and mood and even bed wetting (she still sleeps in a diaper). 

Cindy

#803 of 1166 Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM

Starling: Big,big news all the way around! I am so excited for your new changes. Also hoping for the best with the adoption. She would be one lucky little girl to find such an amazing family to be a part of. As long as you're traveling, you should just swoop on down to the Midwest and visit us!! wink1.gif

Ever: Good to hear from you! I think a dog is a great idea, of course that might just be because I want one! I have always told DH I would not get a dog while we live in our current home, small yard, no fence, small house. And I like big dogs, so it just wouldn't work. But with a new house hopefully on the horizon... More space, large fenced-in yard... Maybe a puppy for Christmas next year! DH wants a Bassett Hound, and since he isn't too keen on the idea of getting a dog I figured he could at least choose what kind.

Cindy: Good luck with the tonsils. I have had so many people ask me about Owyn's tonsils since her hearing issues started. So many people I have talked to have had issues with fluid and tonsils hand-in-hand. Weird. She has started snoring recently, but she has also had at least a bit of a cold most of the winter. We'll see if it continues once the winter cold season is gone. So jealous of your upcoming trip!!

Our house is being shown again today. Fingers crossed. It's the second showing in one week, which is more than we've ever had! This weekend, we are taking the girls to visit friends in St. Louis and a friend is coming to paint our living room while we are gone. DH is pitting hardware on our new kitchen cabinets and then they will be installed!! Once that is done, we're going to lower our price and hold an open house. One way or another, we will sell this house!!

#804 of 1166 Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM

Good luck, Mal!  Sending you very lucky sellable thoughts!

Dogs:  Mamas, I am here to tell you to wait.  Wait until your child is at least six years old.  This coming from a dog-lovin' mama who has never been without a dog.  They are tonnes of work, and will never ever be able to do more for themselves.  The idea of a dog is so much less work and money and hassle than a real dog.

I love our dog.  And I've loved each dog that came before her.  And if she died tomorrow, we'd get another one.  And I'm sorry to be the one to pee in the cereal here, but someone's got to be the downer on this one.  And if you go ahead and get a dog, I'll be the first to squeal with delight and give my two cents regarding a name, etc. 

I'd encourage fostering first, so you get a sense of the commitment.

Ever ... are you in an apartment?  Even more of a hassle.  

Ever ... Spring is around the corner!  The light is coming back!  I hope it brings some joy and ease with it.  This might sound corny, but have you ever done a visualization/positive manifestation ritual of any kind?  As in, have you asked the universe/god/collective unconscious for *exactly* what you want?  As in, written down, to the point?

It can't hurt!  We do this.  We have a special salt lamp that is in E's room, and when we want something, or are hoping things will go a certain way, we write it down and tuck it under the lamp.  Mal ... This have worked for each of our house sales/purchases!

Sue ... Dang, was hoping that we could point our rental RV your way and end up at yours!  We'll DEFINITELY come see you down in Whidby.  Wouldn't miss it!  I can't wait until you spend more time down here.  We'll be following you around! 

Cindy ... Good to hear that life with Aria is settling into a rhythm.  I'm all for folks quitting jobs that they don't love!

As for our olders, I have a feeling that our four-years-olds are going to be the ones who give us a run for our money in general this year.  Big emotions.  Big ideas.  Big hopes.  Big disapointments.  Big growth.  For those of you with boys ... I've been told by a few people that the concentration of testosterone is highest for our males in their fourth year.  That's a lot to deal with!

We're already getting too excited about the adoption possibility.  The foster family is excited too.  Making the call tomorrow!  Wondering how being an AP family wlll affect the homestudy ... ie. bedsharing, homeschooling, etc.  

#805 of 1166 Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM

Seeing the specialist tomorrow. Thank goodness bc after my last post she had another freak out about not being able to breathe. Basically she IS having some trouble but then it spurs a panic attack about it. I feel so bad for her. It actually started bc we were talking about going to the doc tomorrow and possibly having her tonsils out and she got so upset and then started having trouble breathing or swallowing bc she was so upset. Spoke to her ped this morning after that and she said to have her breathe into a paper bag to calm down or to run the shower and make it seem like I am doing something to fix it. She said the specialist could also prescribe meds to shrink the tonsils for our trip. 

Starling: I'll be curious to know how AP practices influence a home study too! And how would the new little one fit into the bed sharing mix? I don't see M leaving our bed until Aria is ready to go with her. I met a lady at M's preschool who nursed her older son until he was 5 and he slept in her bed until he was 10 and only left bc mom was having another baby. I sure hope no 10 yr olds are still in my bed full time!;-)

Cindy

#806 of 1166 Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Cindy: So sorry to hear about the tonsils and the breathing and panic attacks! Poor thing! 

Starling: I am thinking about you guys and all the changes you have ahead of you. I think that anyone can see how much love is in your family. Thinking good thoughts as you move forward on this!

Everr: I just talked to my Dr today about my depression. She took a bunch of blood to look at anemia, thyroid, etc... Also gave me some tips for next year. A SAD light- start using it around Septemberish for 15-20 minutes each morning. I take 10,000 iu's of vitamin D as well. And I suck at it but more physical exercise. Now that we have light after work I'm trying to walk the dog alone (so I can walk faster and have a mental break from kids). I'm also self medicating with chocolate! ;)

Dogs: I have to say- I'm with Starling on this one. So so so much work! I love my dog with all of my heart and we dearly miss the one that died last summer. They need a lot of time though and I'd wait until you know that you have the time. Fostering is a great idea to test the waters! We won't be getting another dog until we are in a different house and Maeve is at least 3. 

Fiona had a well child visit today. My petite never on the growth chart girl is 50% for weight and height! Amazing what getting all of her food allergies out of her diet has done for her growth!

She is loving audio books these days. Current favorites are Pippi Longstocking, Magic Tree House, and Ramona. Have any others to add to our list?

#807 of 1166 Old 02-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Sue: Wow, that's so awesome that F had a huge jump up in the growth charts!! She is bigger than M. I think she was around 40% for both.

Saw the specialist today. They didn't give me a clear answer either way. her tonsils are big and she is a good candidate to have them out, they said. But sort of left it up to me. I really hate when docs do that. The snoring and apnea started up after we all got sick a month+ ago. So we are going to talk again in a couple weeks and see if it is any better. She actually did not snore last night so maybe it will go away. But if not, we are going to schedule the surgery for probably a month after we talk. And they want to measure her airway if they do the surgery to see if she has narrowing of the airways. We were originally referred there bc she gets croup so often - the tonsils issue just came up before I made the appointment. So they said she could be getting croup so often bc her airways are narrow. Most likely it's bc she was born that way but it could be something else and they would likely just keep an eye on it but if it is really bad they can dilate the airways. Oh and they also said it's possible her adenoids (which she had taken out at 2) grew back! My mom actually had her tonsils out twice bc hers grew back. Crazy! I so do not want M to go through having her tonsils out but if she is having apnea from them then they have to go. And perhaps she will be able to breathe easily for the first time ever! BC the doc wanted to take the tonsils out when he took the adenoids and we didn't let him. I still don't regret that though - 2 is too young for that kind of pain.

Cindy 

#808 of 1166 Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM

it's 1 am and I am loopy with tiredness, excuse typos and funny comments.

Cindy, my friends son had his tonsils out and she saw all sorts of improve,ments in him when he was actually getting sleep!

starling- exciting about possible adoption. crossing my fingers. Also I am so happy she quit, I love that you guys just switch it up. i wish my Husband would just change what he does when he was unhappy.

Mal, that house looked great hope someone buys yours soon. Also fi looks great in that cinderella costume

everr- i can just imagine how you;re feeling that's a lot to tackle on your own. Also I imagine the change has a lot to do with it, changes can do that.

hearing- yeah I was worried about cora's. haven't heard back from the dr yet. I'll need to call them back but first i need to find the paperwork.

afm- I have been busy with school and kids. June was sick for her birthday and now we are planning her party which will be with her sisters. 

that's her invite, I made one for each girl with their "theme" on it. (june's was pineapples and she really likes rainbows)

she is gogin througha tough time. she started school and moved back in bed with us and now that she is four we moved her back into her own bed. she's clingy about it, but that also b/c she is sick.

okay, I'm too tired to do this, my head is swimming now., Night

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#809 of 1166 Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 PM

Starling - Wow! What a huge amount of (exciting) change in your lives! One job gone, a self-created job in the works, and now maybe another kid too? I wish you the best of luck in the whole adoption process - what is involved with that? Is the homestudy a process of checking out your house?

Cindy - I think getting stuck in an unpleasant and unfulfilling job that sucks the life out of you every day is one of the worst things that adults regularly do to themselves. One way or another, I hope your DH finds a way out!

Sue - Amazing how much she's grown! K has been at the bottom of the growth charts his whole life and I suspect he still is - since he's smaller than kids we know who are 4 and 6 months younger than him. Truthfully, I've been too lazy to take either kid for any kind of checkup this year. 

Sorry about the job search issues. Is there some other place (not Oregon) that you guys would be happy in long-term? Or maybe go to Whidbey for a few months every winter instead of 2-3 times/year (just thinking of the transit costs for 4 people from AK to WA that many times in a year - Ouch!)

And I find getting outside every day in the daylight is HUGE in the winter (I often do it with kids, though).

Audiobooks - How does F listen? On an iPod or something? I find it hugely distracting if anyone talks while I'm trying to listen to a podcast or something, and can't imagine quieting the whole house down to play one for the kids.

Ever - I can't imagine how hard it would be to be trying to make a whole family by yourself, every day. You do amazingly well. I don't know if a dog would help or hurt, but reaching for a life that you want seems like a good idea. Especially if you can foster a dog first.  We have half a dog here (my MIL's dog on the same property), and it's incredibly easy to have a dog here (can roam free, come in for meals and to sleep), but the training part is obviously hard whenever it happens. My kids aren't bonded to the dog at all though, I think it would need to come in as a puppy (and be more work) to get them actually bonded to it.

Mal - Crossing my fingers for your house sale!

AFM - Went on an overnight camping trip the other day - paddled across the bay and camped out on a spit by a beautiful lagoon where there are clam fossils in the rocks (we'd been promising K we'd take him to real fossils for weeks).  In many ways, it was awesome - tidepooling at night in the snow, waking up to a gorgeous sunrise on the beach, playing, fossil hunting, paddling through arches and into little caves in the rocks. But L was still getting over a cold and very tired (at least I think that was the excuse), and it was a chilly morning, and she spent a great deal of time crying and then sleeping on my lap on the beach. I guess it was a shakedown of sorts, reminding me we have only 6 short weeks until we leave on our big expedition, and how much I have left to do, and how many uncertainties I still have about how it will go... I know it's worth it, but I hate this nervous planning part.

#810 of 1166 Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM

oh yeah, we are looking all over the place. We were checking out some spots in Montana last night. A couple of jobs that DH could probably get quite easily but the pay rate is significantly less. We are already a one income family so that wouldn't be good!

Multiple trips because to Whidbey because we know for sure that DH is gone for months at a time in the summer. So one month there. Then we want to get the heck out of here in the winter- another trip there! DH can't leave work for months so we wouldn't want to just go and not be with him. More likely go in the winter as a family and the girls and I stay for a bit longer. Then if we can swing it- someplace fun as a family...

Tags
Childhood

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page