February '09 Mamas ~ Childhood Chat :) - Page 29 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#841 of 1166 Old 02-28-2013, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have decided on Little Bird Naturals. Excited!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#842 of 1166 Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Sue, that one was my favorite from your options, love it!

Happy birthday to my Owyn!! I think she rounds out the birthdays for our group! She opened her presents from DH and I this morning. I was all set to make her a big breakfast (she loves bacon and eggs!), but she said no. All she wanted was toast and chocolate milk. Easy for me! Her party is tomorrow, so I've been cleaning like mad all morning trying to get my house ready for it. Oh, yes it's another snow day here, so I actually get to spend the day with her, unexpected surprise!

We actually haven't had school since Monday this week. The country roads are a disaster here and the wind keeps blowing, which just drifts the snow back across the roads. And I had a job interview yesterday! It was likely the longest job interview of my life (over 2 hours!), but I thought it went well. They'll let me know in the next couple of weeks. I think I was their first interview, so they have some to get through first. As of right now, they are still waiting on some funding to come through so the position is officially part time instead of full time, at least for now. They couldn't say when it would go full time, so that is something to think about... I'm supposed to be meeting with the principal and board president Monday evening, so hopefully I'll get an idea of what the school is thinking...

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#843 of 1166 Old 03-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Happy Birthday Owyn! A 2 hour job interview! Holy Mack! I bet you nailed it!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#844 of 1166 Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Happy Birthday Owyn!  And good luck on all the job stuff Mal. Sounds exciting.

Sue - I like Little Bird Naturals.  It has a nice feel to it, but is pretty flexible with what you can sell and still have the name make sense.

Socialization: Here's a question for you all. How social are your kids?  K plays with his little sister quite a bit, and other kids occasionally, but really could care less about friends most of the time.  He's not shy at all, just not kid-oriented. Happy to talk to adults, happy to do his own thing, happy to play with other kids' toys, but pretty uninterested in the kids themselves.  I've wondered about this, now that we've pulled him out of preschool. He still sees other kids regularly, but I'm not going out of my way to give him social time he's not asking for. He can visit preschool as a guest if he wants, which he usually doesn't, and when he does, he plays with the toys and enjoys the special activities (like swimming) while ignoring the group stuff the other kids are doing. The preschool teacher kind of implied it was a shame to take him out when he was just starting to interact with other kids -- as if I should make sure he has MORE time with them if he's "behind" in that way. Mostly, I feel the same way about socialization as I do about academics -- if I wouldn't push him to read before he's ready, why should I push him to have friends before he's ready?

That said, these kids, for better or worse, are his social group. I do worry that by the time he cares about them, they'll all be tightly knit together and he'll have a harder time making friends.

#845 of 1166 Old 03-02-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Birthday to Owyn!!!

And that's awesome about the interview!  I hope you get it :D

I'm still waiting to hear from the job I applied for in my hometown.  The closing date was last Friday.  They said they'd let me know either way though.

Sue - I love the name!  

Erin - I wouldn't worry about it.  Everyone's different and some people are just more introverted.  Nothing wrong with that!  If he seemed unhappy or like he really wanted to participate with other kids but was shy/didn't know what to say etc.  Then I would intervene and help.  But it seems like he's happy with doing his own thing.  With Royce I also find myself over-analyzing areas where he's different/behind other kids.  It's hard not to worry sometimes!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#846 of 1166 Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM

I haven't read everything I just wanted to reply to Erin while my thoughts were fresh.

My ds was not really into other kids at this age either. He would rather hang with the adults. He was articulate like K. I believe it may have been because he could hold longer more interactive conversations with the adults and sop up that knowledge. Even last year in Kindie he had friends but he wasn't one to run off with them when we dropped him off. He still isn't. However I know that when we leave he interacts with his peers because he tells me all about it. It seems to be painful for him a lot of the time and he struggles to process it sometimes. I wouldn't change anything I did in the earlier years though. That's who he is. Now he would rather be with the kids because the conversations are more interesting there than with the adults. It may be this way for K as well in a few years. If he ran screaming from the other kids or was violent or mean then I would worry. We have intellectual little souls and they will go where the learning and best conversation is IMO. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#847 of 1166 Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 AM

My fingers are crossed that everyone gets the jobs they are hoping for.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a 6 almost 7 year old to get. out. the. door. for well... just about anything. He just sits on the couch doesn't move or if propelled to the door stands there head against the wall whining away about being cold or hungry or whatever. It's happening every morning, even weekends when the thing to get out the  door for is hockey which he loves. I've tried the natural consequences of if he doesn't make it out the door without a fuss we don't do what he wants like a friends party or whatever weekend thing is planned for him. But that doesn't work either. He's too big to carry to the van and he often makes everyone late in the mornings which makes me angry and resent him (bad mother moment). I've tried the make it a game thing and race him. No go there. I've tried the logical explanations. I've tried taking things away (not my favourite tactic). I need some ideas. 

Birthday- Dee got a giant sliver in her foot that weekend and we spent the morning in the ER having it sliced out. Not fun since she could feel it even though they used topical and local anaesthetic. Poor Dr. was so rattled at her screaming "Stop cutting me!" She then needed stitches which I had to remove because they got infected (how the heck do you keep a 4 yr olds foot clean and dry at all times?), she is now on antibiotics because nothing I tried was working and it wasn't healing. So we just went to the movies for her birthday. The restaurant we could get GF fish and chips at closed :( so her birthday dinner was tacos like she requested. The presents she got some movies, lots of doll clothes and from my mom geesh this little things that you pull out and they spin and look like animals oh and a puppy with little babies inside of it. I wanted to make her a doll house out of dresser like this one but never got there. 

AFM: I am in my last IT coop. I am interviewing people for their requirements for an electronic record system. It's interesting but I feel like it's a bit of a make work project because the choices are already made. Not sure if I'm going to stay casual there after this or not. I think I might need a break from all this complex writing I am doing here. A part time home care job was posted which is 3 days a week 830-415. That is just enough hours for me. But I would need to lease another vehicle. I could write it off but it's a payment for the year that we would have to deal with. Plus then I couldn't make my commitments to the clinics I have hours booked in over the summer. I would like to try some different nursing like home care but I suppose I could try and get hired casual and then I could choose my hours and balance them between the other places. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#848 of 1166 Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Sue ... LOVE the name!  Perfect, perfect.  I've been struggling with what to name my new story website ... and a lot of it is dependent on the web address being available.  I'm so stuck!  I don't want to commit and then not love it. Sigh. LOVE your name.

Nilla ... That is a tough one.  I'm going to think on it.  Six is such a different age than four or two.  Hmm.  I'm not usually one for charts, but for an older kid, I think I might do one.  A schedule, sort of.  With stickers.  So have the steps broken down into do-able parts, and once he's done the task, you or he puts the sticker in the right place. So, say:

- wake up (an easy sticker)

- get dressed

- eat breakfast

- tidy dishes

- brush teeth

- shoes, jacket, backpack

- sitting in car with seatbelt on

A week of completed daily tasks gets him something coveted, but not too big or splashy?  Hockey cards?  Pack of gum? DVD rental? Date with dad?

I think I'd be more likely to do something like that for a short-term strategy to get him into the groove.  Set it up that you can do this for a week, with the expectation that he'll keep on doing it once he gets the hang of it and sees how much smoother and happier life is.  Not sure what I'd do if you did it and then he still dug in his heels.  

Erin ... E is exactly the same way.  Don't worry about it.  And don't let the teacher pressure you into thinking that there is anything wrong with him whatsoever.  She's working from a totally different paradigm than you.  I worry about E's quirks enough as it is without introducing anyone else's opinion.  E never asks for a playdate, never asks after her 'friends,' never flocks to them at the park or outings, would rather talk to the adults or do her own thing.  I think it's fine.  H is totally different, even at 17 months.  He's a natural and charismatic leader. At the park, the other kids follow his lead and want to do what he's doing.  He likes to play with everyone's toys and talk to all the kids and get them to join him in his play.

I figure if both kids can be so different, it's not a matter of what we're going as parents, per se, but is more about individual personalities.  We are all about fostering the individual, right? I know that having a kid like E makes me doubt myself, sometimes, but mostly I love that she's so unique and blatantly herself.  

Hello to everyone else!  

We're in sunny and hot San Diego having a blast.  

We have a meeting with the adoption recruitment coordinator when we get home ... exciting!

xo

c

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#849 of 1166 Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Oh!  And I meant to also send good wishes to all the mamas with career changes/opportunities on the horizon ... myself included!  Exciting times!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#850 of 1166 Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM

hey, I'm trying to win my friend a baby sleep hammock, she's having twins and I figure any little bit can help. My photos are on page 3.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#851 of 1166 Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Voted for all your pics!  And they were on page 7, not 3 :)

#852 of 1166 Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Everr and Mal: Good luck with the jobs!

Sue: I love the name! :-)

Starling: I hope you are enjoying lots of yummy mexican food for me!! 

Erin: M is very very shy but is SO into her friends. It's not a good day if she doesn't get to see lots of friends. She does run to them at school and often goes into the classroom hand in hand with one or two of them. I think it's really the girls that do that though. At the parent teacher conf they talked with me a lot about how her social skills are just developing - like she is slow to mix in with the other kids after circle, preferring to go to the art table first. No surprise to me. Anyway, we are doing some playdates with kids from school outside of school to help her (and the other kids) feel more comfortable. But I wouldn't be concerned at all. Different personalities and also I think a gender difference. 

AFM: Hawaii was wonderful! About as relaxing as a trip with 2 small kids could be. :-) Aria did great on the flights. M cried at 2 landings bc her ears hurt. Thankfully M's tonsils didn't bother her while we were there.

Today M got casts put on her feet to return flexibility to her ankles from the toe waking and hopefully to retrain her brain to walk flat footed. She got a purple and a pink. She cried when they put it on bc it heated up as it dried and she didn't like that. But she has taken them in stride otherwise. I am quite proud of her! I took her to one of those places where you can paint your own plates, etc after as something special to do. That was a lot of fun. She still wanted to go to school today. I stayed for circle time and explained to all the kids that she doesn't have broken feet or any boo boos in there, how it's to help her walk on her flat feet and that she can still walk and play. The teachers asked if any of the kids had a question and so many raised their hands. They were sooo adorable! Mostly just saying they liked the colors and one girl said she really loved them and one boy just raised his hand to say he is 4.5 yrs old. LOL. They certainly made me smile!! So precious. Oh and one boy had his own explanation of how they would help her walk flat footed - talking about traction and everything! Anyway, hopefully they won't be on longer than 4 weeks. She gets them changed every monday. And I have NO clue how I will manage to wash her hair when she already fights me on lookig up when she is sitting in the bathtub normally! Ha!

And Aria is napping in her crib for the first time ever as I write this! :-) 

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#853 of 1166 Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM

Cindy, can you get the waterproof material for the lining of the cast? That's what Jo had when she broke  her foot. It's great they can get in any water, tub, pool, etc.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#854 of 1166 Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Wow, Courtney - I had no idea they made that! Is that the type of cast they put on? Bc they definitely didn't offer that to us and when I asked about bathing they suggested sponge bath. 

Poor M was up crying half the night bc her feet were bothering her. She said they hurt - I'm not sure if it was the cast feeling funny, not being able to get comofortable, maybe her feet fell asleep inside or if she was just sore from them stretching her all day. She was fine all day. DH spent the entire night on the couch with her crying and walking around every little bit. She came back to my bed this morning about 6 when DH got ready for work and she woke about 4 more times in the next 2.5 hours before Aria demanded we get up. It's 9 and she is still sleeping. She is so exhausted - DH said she finally would just cry and fall right back asleep bc she was so worn out from crying all night. I sure hope every night is not like this!!! If it is, this is not doable for a month! I should call today and ask them...

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#855 of 1166 Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Cindy - That sounds awful! Did she sleep any better the next night?

Nilla - Hmm... No great ideas for you. Is there a time where you could safely leave him behind when he dawdles? (when another adult is at home to watch him) And then maybe take Dee to do something extra fun?

Starling - I know you can search for web domain availability. But yeah, once you pick a name and get a website and then actually get a few people to go there, you're kind of stuck with it!  I've wondered at times if we should have chosen something different for our nonprofit, but I don't have any other brilliant ideas, and changing is hard.

Socialization: OK, I feel a bit better about it now -- that I'm not stunting my kid by letting him be his adult-focused self at this age.

AFM: We are leaving, for 4 month, in 2 to 3 weeks. Everything is crazy here -- boxes all over the house, lists of gear on the white boards, etc... I'll be happy when this part is done and we're actually walking, even as I have my moments of dread about how hard it will be to move camp every day with both kids.

#856 of 1166 Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I'm home sick today :(  I was planning on skipping class today because I have two midterms tomorrow morning.  But I've accomplished zero studying so I'll be skipping those..  I was feeling off yesterday but thought it was just stress and also AF is due.  But then last night I was really ill.  I'm better today but I'm tired, weak, and my stomach hurts.  It's just one thing after another.  All the time.

And I'm having some stress from the job hunt.  A friend of mine got called Monday for an interview at the job in my hometown.  I didn't.  She lives 2 hours away and has no better work experience than me.  Plus my grades are higher.  Plus I actually edited her resume for her because english isn't her first language.  My friend wouldn't even take it if she got it because it's too far, but she needs the practice for an interview in her city the following week.  (My friend is a really nice person and I'm not saying she doesn't deserve an interview, but I'm just shocked that she would get one when I didn't, you know?)  It seems like everyone else in my program at least got an interview in their hometown/city.  It's a really specific program and the only one in my province so I know who I'm up against.  I don't understand it.  How could they not even give me a chance to interview?  The woman I usually speak with there hasn't returned my call.  I emailed her today and another HR woman I know there through my mom.  Just to see if I can be considered.  I know for a fact I'm the only local person that applied.  It's really a slap in the face that I'm not even getting a chance to interview...

Oh just got a reply.. A simple "you weren't selected".  That's it.  Wow.

I need to go cry now :(

#857 of 1166 Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Flipped on the TV last night (PBS) after the kids were in bed. Guess who I saw?! Our very own Erin. Caught it in time to DVR it but only saw the last 10 minutes or so last night. Loved seeing you on your hands and knees as you walked to the hospital to have Katmai! Made my night! Can't wait to actually watch the whole movie tonight!

Everr:- so sorry Mama. Job hunting sucks big time. Hugs to you!

Cindy- Was M's night any better last night? Poor girl! I loved your description of circle time though!

#858 of 1166 Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Erin you are my hero!! I can't imagine packing up camp and setting it up again every single day with 2 kids in tow! Or meal planning for 4 months!! It's hard enough to get out of the house sometimes. I'm feeling all frazzled today and we just went to the cast room at the hospital and to a play space. Not sure why I'm so stressed today. Probably M's attitude.

Everr: Hugs! I'm so sorry you have all this stress on top of being sick! I hope the perfect job comes along for you! I hate interviewing. I once went through 2 rounds of interviews at a company with something like 10 people and in the end I didn't get the job and one of the guys I interviewed with asked me out on a date (after I didn't get it)! So bizarre. Feel better soon mama!

AFM: So M had another rough night. Not quite as horrid as the night before but still waking up crying every hour or so. I took her back into the casting room at the hospital today. The man who did her cast is a grandpa and so nice. So he cut her cast open so it was basically a top and bottom and then rewrapped it so it was still in the same position but looser. He pressed on her toe nails and they weren't going to white and then pink quite like they should so it likely was too tight. So fingers crossed that she is better tonight! BC she really cannot deal with any boo boos or anything bothering her these days. It's meltdown/freakout city! Like hyperventiallting freakout. It all started when her tonsils were bothering her. Her tonsils seem to be a bit better btw. No snoring or apnea right now. They still look big but she isn't having trouble swallowing anymore either. So I am going to try to hold off on having them out.

Cindy

#859 of 1166 Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Everr hugs to you. I hope this means that a much more fabulous opportunity is opening up for you. I hope you feel better. 

Erin I can't wait to hear about your adventures

Cindy I hope M sleeps well tonight and that her anxiety settles.

Well with Em we did actually do a checklist of sorts but it was after an all out blow out in which he threw toys around the room and proceeded to lose them all. If toys fly in our house they are gone. So he had a checklist of behaviours and chores to get them back slowly. It's working. I actually think some of the behaviour might be another allergy, possibly to corn. He's had some gut issues when eating corn lately and won't finish it saying his stomach hurts. We are cutting it out and will try 2 weeks off and then test it. He's very willing he was so sick the other night when we had cornmeal coated chicken. 

Dee's foot with the splinter in it I think might have a piece still in it. There is a hard lump under where it was cut out. It also might just be scar tissue but she says it hurts. Might need another visit to the Dr. 

#860 of 1166 Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 AM

Everr: So sorry about the job! I can't believe they wouldn't even give you an interview, weird. I just know something will come together for you. It's just tough not knowing what's going to happen... I'm with you on that one!

Sue: So jealous! I checked into my local PBS to see if I could find the movie online somewhere... looks like it just played in Alaska from what I can see. I should probably just buy it since I've wanted to see it for so long!

Cindy: Poor M! I hope she had a better night after they made her casts more loose. I don't blame you for wanting to hold off on the tonsils, sounds like she has enough going on for now!

Erin: You've probably said this already and I just don't remember, but how long will you be gone this time? You are like a warrior woman in my mind, no way could I handle all of that with two little ones in tow!! You came up with my kindgarteners the other day! We were talking about different kinds of houses people live in and I showed a bunch of different pictures of all the different kinds of homes people can have (this was a social studies lesson). We talked about you when we talked about living in a yurt, they were fascinated! It led to a whole discussion about life in Alaska and the longer days/longer nights, etc. The loved it!

Nilla: Poor Dee! I can't even imagine a splinter bad enough for an ER visit. I probably couldn't have handled it. Things like splinters and loose teeth just really squick me out. 

Starling: Hope you are having (had? are you back, can't remember) a fabulous time in California!

AFM: The girls are doing well. Owyn celebrated her birthday at school the other day and that was the one that almost brought me to tears. I remember working there when I was in college and their birthday celebration is really special and meaningful and I've always looked forward to when my own kids got to do that. Of course, Owyn loved it and it was great to see how much she has grown and become comfortable in the classroom with her teachers and classmates. 

I'm leaving tonight for my conference for work. I'm really looking forward to it. I convinced a close friend of mine to come with me since she works in the field too and no one from my school was going, so I would have been on my own. We're making a girls trip out of it and I can't wait for the break and the learning opportunity!

Work is still going along. We met with the president of the school board, but of course she couldn't really give us any answers yet. The rest of the board meets tonight, but I'm not sure if we'll get any answers even tonight. They invited the kindergarten teacher to come share her thoughts and speak for me since I will be gone for the conference already, but then she'll be dismissed when they discuss it as a board. So, could be another couple of weeks before I know anything for sure. Contracts will go out around Easter, so they'll have to decide something quick! Keep the positive thoughts coming my way!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#861 of 1166 Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM

cindy waterproof cast liner link  that stuff is awesome. One of the other problems with the traditional liner is that sweat soaks into it and the material starts to break down. Not all insurance companies will pay for the liner, and some will only pay partially for it.

#862 of 1166 Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 PM

Courtney: That's really cool! Turns out they have things that go over the cast too so I bought some last night. Haven't tried them out yet - but they should allow us to shower her.

So last night was better - only woke 2x. But she is still complaining about various things and I just had to pick her up at school an hour early bc she was complaining and sad. This is going to be a long few weeks! I feel bad for her but I know there is no other option. Hopefully we can remedy all of her complaints when she gets the 2nd set on monday. 

Cindy

#863 of 1166 Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 PM

I'm beginning to think maybe M has some sensory processing disorder with touch going on. This past week with the casts was horrid. SO much crying and complaining about the casts and about cuts on the bottoms of her toes (she got these alot from being up on her toes and the skin getting stretched). She wigs out over any boo boo. She won't wear jeans, she undresses if she gets a tiny bit of water on her clothes, she won't eat entire food groups (no fruit ever unless it's in a smoothie or juice) and the toe walking. I am going to talk to our pediatrician about it. 

Got new casts today - tried to avoid all the things causing complaints last week. We shall see.

Have husband job news but baby is crying...

#864 of 1166 Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM

Everr - hugs! Job searching sounds so hard. Not to mention trying to study and being sick at the same time. What's your next step?

Cindy - Poor girl. Probably good to get possible sensitivities checked out, but I think having casts bending both my feet might drive me nuts too. It just sounds kind of hard all around.

Mal - crossing fingers for good news from the school board for you.  And I'm glad the yurt/Alaska discussion was interesting to the kids. In fact, I suspect mine would be as fascinated by the concept of an apartment building. :)

Sue - Cool that you saw it.  I don't have a TV, but keep running into other people who saw it, which has been oddly amusing. I was checking out at the grocery store the other day and the woman at the counter says "Wow, your hair has gotten so much longer!" And I'm staring at her thinking, really? Since I shopped here last week? until she follows up by telling me she was watching the movie the night before. :)

AFM - Our time frame on this expedition is vaguer than usual, since it depends on how far K can really walk in a day. But it's about 800 miles around Cook Inlet, will be a mix of rafting and beach walking, and we think it'll take roughly 4 months: Late March through sometime mid-late July. Some of that time will be off days in towns, or for weather. One of our goals on this trip is to visit with and interview people in every community along the way, and we'll carry a field-communication device that can send emergency signals and hopefully text messages, so we won't be totally out of touch. Probably won't make it here though, so you'll have to check in on my blog/FB or wait until we get back. 

The weather's been so beautiful and with such gorgeous spring light and mountain sunsets lately, that I'm starting to get really excited about going. Which is a nice addition to feeling stressed out about everything we have left to do! K has been really enjoying sledding lately, and I've been learning to ski, so we've been getting a bunch of little ski/sled outings in to help both of us burn off some energy and calm down.

#865 of 1166 Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM

Cindy-- Some of that does sound a little concerning, but Erin's right too. She does have a lot going on with the casts. I imagine that would make me feel extra sensitive too. I can't even imagine Owyn keeping something like that on. She would hate every minute of it. Maybe see if things improve after she gets the casts off? Owyn also does some of the things you talked about too. She will take all her clothes off if she gets even a little wet. If she gets a little pee in her panties even, she'll change her whole outfit, whether she needs to or not. She also has food quirks, certain textures will completely turn her off. Watermelon is one that she likes the flavor so she always thinks she wants it, but the texture is too much for her. Same with strawberries and some other types of berries. I see that as pretty normal for this age. Hopefully it's all a variation of normal but I'm sure it seems like a lot at the moment with the casts and her tonsils...

Well, I did not get offered the job that I interviewed for. They offered it to someone who had more experience doing home visits. And the board made a counter-proposal. They want to support the center-based learning and want to give parents of 4-year-old children parttime/fulltime option. But they do not want to give me the full time position. They want to keep me part time and put the part time kids in my class, full time kids in the other class. I imagine if things go well and we have a good response to the center-based program, it could become full time in the future. So, I'm trying to figure out what I'll do. I really don't want to walk away from it if they are going to let me change up the program and fund all of that. So, DH and I had a long talk about it and decided it would be best for my career if I stay at the school and see this through, but I have to find a way to supplement my income. So, I'm going to put out the word with parents at the school that I will baby sit a few school-age kids this summer and just bank everything I make from that. That would buy us several months once I go back to work. I'm trying to find something I could do Tues/Thurs during the school year that won't also cost me in daycare. So, I went into a local daycare today to check the place out and see if they had any openings. They might, but I'll have to pay for daycare, there's no discount for employees. If I baby sit this summer, I'm hoping maybe that would lead to keeping a couple of them during the school year. Would it be weird if I baby sat kids that in my class on the other days? I don't know. I'm going to run that by the school before advertising it, just to make sure there's no conflict of interest. 

Oh, and someone is coming to see our house this weekend, fingers crossed!!

#866 of 1166 Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 AM

Sue, I love Little Bird Naturals.  I will buy an amber necklace from you! Link to your site when you get things going. How is Fiona liking violin lessons? 

Cindy, big hugs to M.  I think the casting is probably aggravating the other sensitivities...fingers crossed that she can relax a bit once this process is over.  HOW did you get A napping in her crib?!  I really need to know, because I can't put Mallie down without her waking.  

Ever, so sorry about the job interview. That really is crappy.  Maybe the HR person you know through your mom could give you a hint as to what happened? 

Mal, I'm so anxious for your job stress to be over--can't imagine how stressful it must be. Fingers crossed that someone loves your house this weekend! Glad F had a great birthday.  The photos on FB were really cute.  

Nilla, I like Starling's idea...the only other thing I could think of would be to have a "treasure box" and let him earn "points" by "helping." So if when he helps by going along with the program he gets a point, and X points he gets to pick from the treasure box....I dunno though.  Aubrey struggles to get moving in the morning too, even though she WANTS to go to school and screams if she thinks Daddy is going to leave without her.  Sometimes I feel disagreeable too, but geez. 

Starling hope you had fun on your trip.  Can't wait to hear of your adventures.  And OMG for the adoption meeting.  That is too awesome. 

Erin, ITA with Nilla about K's socialization. I was always that way--spoke early, understood a lot, and found other kids dull.  I feel like I've been 30-something my entire life.  

Random thoughts here--I had a filling this morning, so I'm slurping down coffee late and dribbling it all over Mallie, who is sleeping in the wrap.  Of course, because she will only sleep if she is in contact with me.  Which is not so good, as she is huge.

I don't feel like I've been the super mommy I know i can be this week. Or for the last few weeks, actually. Aubrey's behavior is getting under my skin, and Mallie's sleep routine is killing any me time I might have if I were a normal person. DH is talking vas, and I think I'm ready to just know for sure whether we're done with kids.  I don't know why that's suddenly important to me. This first year is hard, though.  Bleh.  Maybe I'm just ready for the sunshine?

Need to get some advice on behaivor and sleep and whatnot, but I don't have the energy at the moment to type out all of the little things that are bugging me.  Ho hum.

#867 of 1166 Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM

M is doing much better this week with her new set of casts. I had them do things differently so I think it helped. She is actually sleeping again! Perhaps it was the casts making everything worse - but these are behaviors that have always sort of been there too. I've just started reading "Raising your spirited child". She always been a very dramatic girl. DH thinks she may grow up to be an actress. LOL. She refused to go to preschool on Tuesday. I suppose I could have pushed the issue, but I didn't. I felt bad. But she will be going today. We pay too much money for her to decide she isn't going. I think she was upset bc on Monday no one put her socks on her so she couldn't play in the sand box. I told her I will do that before I leave and she seemed much more of with the idea of going. She likes to go but she doesn't want me to leave these days. 

Aria is going to sleep on her own in her crib now at night! I am still in the room but I think I will be able to put her down and leave fairly soon!!! I read the book "secrets of the baby whisperer" and also her ebook on sleep. You put the baby down and if they cry you pick them up and sooth them, then put back down. Repeat until baby goes to sleep. Can be 150 times at first. Bedtime started out taking about an hour at first! But by now (night 5) I only had to pick her up one time and put her back down then she laid there peacefully until she fell asleep. I also started out keeping my hand on her tummy or rubbing her tummy while she was in the crib (we have the crib sidecarred which makes it easier on me to be near her) - but I didn't do that last night. That is the trick I used to get her sleeping in her crib for nap time. Though I must admit, I stopped working on getting her to nap in her crib bc everything with M has just been too much to deal with. And M didn't like me being up in the room with A while she was downstairs alone. She told me to just put the baby in the swing or in the ergo. LOL. So baby has been napping in the swing again. But I'm hoping that since she is doing so well at night w/her crib that naps won't be too hard once I can focus on them again. Anyway, this going to sleep on her own is revolutionary to me! I have my nights back! And M never ever got the hang of this. DH still lays down with her every night. 

Baby awake..

#868 of 1166 Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Cindy-- Amazing how different these second babies are! We have reached the point where both girls lay down awake on their own and go to sleep on their own. It is AMAZING! Greta started at about a year old and now won't even let me put her to sleep, although I would like to sometimes. I had to put her to sleep when we took our trip last month because she would. not. lay down on her own in an unfamiliar house. She hated every second of me rocking her to sleep. Now, when I take her to bed, she practically lunges for it before I can even get a hug in. She likes her sleep!

Well, Owyn is definitely 4 now. We have had a nice, peaceful few months here with her up until now. She's been a pretty easy-going kid and doesn't fight us on too many things, but I feel like ever since her birthday she is pushing every boundary with us. Particularly with DH. He has always been a little more strict than I am and she's always listened to him better than she does me, but lately she is pushing all his buttons and it's driving him nutty. Oh what fun this year will be!

Greta and I were out all morning running errands and when I got back, had a message to show our house TODAY! So, I've been scrambling around like mad. I thought I'd have the rest of today and part of tomorrow to get the house in order before showing it Saturday. And I still have to pack for our weekend away this weekend, we're leaving tomorrow! And I've been working on my counter-proposal for the board since they are meeting next week. And trying to keep up with my teaching this week, trying to implement some new things I picked up at my conference last week. Oh, and Owyn's school is having a fundraiser this weekend that I volunteered to help for before we leave, since we won't be there for it. I feel like my brain is going to explode! This weekend, we'll be with all of our closest friends pretending to be 21 again for St. Patty's Day. I SOOOOO need this break! I told DH if he hears me talking about work, make me drink a beer. I must stop thinking!

#869 of 1166 Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hey ladies!

Hope everyone is doing well.

I just had a quick question about imaginary friends.. Does anyone else's kids have one?  Royce has talked about (and talked to) 'Kooda' for as long as I can remember.  It was one of his first words.  And I remember not knowing what he meant by it when he was very little (I think I remember him saying Kooda before he was even 2).  Now, Kooda is a regular presence.. R describes him as looking like a dinosaur with big eyes.  It's so weird!!

AFM - I'm busy finishing up my semester.  I'll be so relieved when it's done!  I have a job interview Wednesday in my hometown, but not for a practicum, just a summer position :(  I'm really disappointed that I wasn't able to get a practicum.  It's really doing to delay my career..  Oh well.

#870 of 1166 Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM

Everr - sorry about the job stuff. Hopefully they'll see how awesome you are over the summer, and then hire you on for good next time. 

imaginary friends - K has an imaginary friend called "John Robertson."  He's apparently an adult, who has one house here and one in Seattle and one in Hawaii.  He doesn't talk TO him, really, but often tells us about all the wonderful things he's done "with John Robertson"  Who knew my kid had climbed Denali, and found a dinosaur fossil, and built a real space ship, and.... ?

AFM - our departure got delayed a bit because we think we can hitch a ride to the start point on a fishing boat Tuesday (really the middle of Monday night).  Wake the kids up at 4AM, get everything on the boat, steam out for a few hours, then all climb off into the packrafts in the pre-dawn light.  A little nervous about how it'll all go, but also very excited!

Tags
Childhood

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page