February '09 Mamas ~ Childhood Chat :) - Page 37 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1081 of 1166 Old 09-22-2013, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mal- so glad to read your updates! And glad Owyn's surgery went well!!

Cindy- High Tea and dress up sounds like so much fun!!

Erin- Can we find your book tour schedule somewhere. We are heading to Whidbey Island a week from Tuesday and will be there for a month (with week 2 spent on the OR coast). Maybe our paths will cross! Starling I should get in touch with you too! My kids suck at car travel so we shall see how getting to and from OR goes before I can commit to driving anywhere to meet up though. I have your book in hand! Need to hide it so I can read it on vacation but DH and I both started skimming it. Not sure who will get to read it first!

Everr: The puppy is so cute! Name?

AFU- leaving town for a month soon and trying to get ready for that! Really looking forward to time with my family. My dad's 80th birthday is the cause for celebration and gathering. :) Pretty exciting. We are also going to buy a mini van while we are there. Never thought I'd be so excited about that! LOL! Still lots unknown on the job front- currently DH has 3 apps out there. The kids are doing well. Maeve is adorable and silly. Fiona is challenging as always but getting so engrossed in projects and nature journeling and other fun things. Life is pretty good! And by the end of the week we should know if this little one in my belly is a boy or girl! U/S on Friday afternoon!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#1082 of 1166 Old 09-22-2013, 05:04 PM

We did tea before, it is so much fun. I'd love to take the girls. Chris took Jewel once.  I need to look out for some deals.  It is hard to believe that Aria is already going to be one! Where has the time gone??

Everr, that dog is so freaking cute. It makes me want a little dog just like it; also Louis is a fabulous name. 

Erin, safe travels.  (and I so need to hurry up and buy your book, can't wait to read it. )

Mal, I have also been thinking of you.  Sending lots of love to you guys.

AFM- not much, busy with school and kids. 

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#1083 of 1166 Old 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Introducing Louis <3

Our first night is going well so far!  I'm excited about him, feeling slightly like 'what have I done' :P  But mostly excited :)  Royce had so much fun playing with the puppies and helping choose which one (well, mostly it involved me convincing/telling him that we were getting this one :P )  He really wanted a girl for some reason, but he's happy with this little guy.  

AK - Oh it's so exciting to be finding out if it's a boy or girl!!  This is the same time when I found out R was a boy!  

Cindy - I can't believe she's one!  Crazy!  I hope your tea was fun!  

AFM - I have 3 weeks of work left on my contract.  And 3 weeks until my big board certification exam.  So all my time is spent studying stuff.  I'm feeling pretty good about it though.  My manager is giving me a mock oral exam on Tuesday so that'll be helpful.  And I need to hint/ask if there's any chance of a further extension of my contract..  I'll probably do that tomorrow.  I'm applying for regular jobs now too but I'm not fully certified yet so I'm not sure I'll get interviews.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#1084 of 1166 Old 09-22-2013, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Everr - Louis is so cute!  Let us know how it goes.  We've been talking about getting a puppy ourselves, maybe in the spring. Not sure it's a good idea, either, but tempting. It would be nice to have a dog to follow the kids around when they get a little older -- keep the bears away.

Sue -- Definitely tell us when you know about the baby!

Good luck getting ready. It was kind of crazy for us too, getting ready to leave for 2 months (which we've done--we're in Homer now), getting the garden put to bed, and everything ready to be snowy and frozen when we return. I have a rough tour schedule on the book page: http://groundtruthtrekking.org/Book-Small-Feet-Big-Land/#schedule

but we're still filling in the later stuff.  It might take us too long to get down to WA to catch you though.

Starling, Cindy -- I'll let you know when we have that end of our schedule firmed up (I feel like I'm two steps behind in all my logistics, just getting in touch with everyone I want to on the Kenai Peninsula right now). It would definitely be fun to meet up.

AFM--   We're off on our road trip! Which is a snail-pace sort of road trip that involves an incredible amount of trying to do events, visit schools, talk to the media, meet up with everyone we know in every community. A little crazy. But today, we visited a farm and had a potluck, so it's pretty fun as well.

The selfish author in me has to say...  If anyone does read my book, posting a review on Amazon or other such sites is super helpful.  And I won't be mad if you're honest.  :) 

#1085 of 1166 Old 09-23-2013, 04:21 PM

ooh, maybe we could pull off the Bellingham one. Maybe Starling too! What bookstore?

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#1086 of 1166 Old 09-23-2013, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
TOTALLY! LET'S!!! PNW MEET UP!!!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#1087 of 1166 Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Ah! I'm so jealous. Where are my Midwest mdc ladies? No one?
Thursday Girl likes this.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#1088 of 1166 Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 PM

Bellingham:  Friday, October 25, Village Books, 7PM.  Now, theoretically, we arrive in Bellingham that morning on the ferry at 8AM.  If we can actually pull this off, I'd love to meet up with you guys a little earlier in the day, since I'd like to talk more than the whirlwind of giving a presentation will allow.  Not that I can guarantee the ferry will be on time, but hopefully we'll be there for a good chunk of the day at least. 

That would be awesome if you guys could come!

#1089 of 1166 Old 09-27-2013, 12:03 PM

In all the craziness with my mom, I don't think I ever updated you guys about the new house! Well, it's awesome and we're finally settling in. DH actually said the other day that it's starting to feel like home and he's getting excited about all the projects we will eventually get to do on the house. The girls made the smoothest transition ever. We went ahead and put them in separate rooms, although Greta's only has her crib in it for now until we get it painted. They had absolutely no issues about being separated. Owyn was a tad nervous about that at first, but a night light solved that.

Owyn also started going to school full time, 8-3 Monday-Friday and she LOVES it! She is such a Montessori kid. I think I'm getting DH convinced to keep her there permanently. He is seeing how great it's been for her especially since she started full time. She is really starting to mature. Bittersweet, for sure. Greta started at a new sitter today. I am so nervous. It's an older woman who has been baby sitting for years and years and generally just has one kid a day. I'm happy we finally got something set in stone for her, especially since she has kind of bounced around from person to person since my mom got sick. Now, she can get settled in one place. I took her over for a visit last night and she didn't want to leave by the end of it. So, I'm sure she's having a great time. This woman is also an angel. She goes to our church and heard about my mom. She is offering us free childcare until my mom is well. Of course, I told her that was too much but she was insistent. DH has an in at city hall though and I think we decided to start anonymously taking care of her utility bill as a way to repay her.

Today is a good day. I still have bad days. The other day, I talked with my mom for a while about changing our address and finding a sitter... Just normal things. I broke down in tears after we got off the phone though because the thought of losing those "normal" conversations with my mom is terrifying to me.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#1090 of 1166 Old 09-27-2013, 05:53 PM

paying the utility bill is really sweet. A great way to pay it forward! Sounds like your girls are both in great places!

just wanted to check in quickly to report that we had the ultra sound today. Baby wasn't very cooperative in showing the bits until the very end when he finally moved he little foot! A boy! We are so excited! :) Not going to put it on fb yet until DH can call his mom this weekend. But I can't keep it in!

#1091 of 1166 Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 PM

Whoo HOO! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#1092 of 1166 Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Sue - YAY!!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!  I'm so excited for you :)  

Mal - I'm glad to hear your move went well!  It is so bittersweet seeing our babies growing up and becoming more and more independent.  I hope things with your mom continue to go well.  There's so many treatments available now.  It's hard going through it though, I know.

AFM - Louis is doing well, I'm trying to paper train him and he's doing pretty good, but still improvement needed :P  

Today is a study day so I gotta go dive into that :/

#1093 of 1166 Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM

So jealous of those getting to meetup.

Sue, Yay for your little boy. He's going to be so mothered he won't know what to do with two older sisters but he will likely have incredible insight into women :p. We are debating the minivan purchase because of the third child on the way as well. I don't want one and we just bought our subaru with the thought that we were done having kids and we all fit so we are making payments and likely won't get the same kind of deal.

Everr Yay for puppies. Louis is adorable. I have 2 big dogs and love them furiously. The kids could take them or leave them I think.

Mal: I wonder about putting my kids in separate rooms. Dee has never slept in her own room. She's never slept alone in a room period. Not sure she would accept it. She keeps freaking out thinking she's going to be alone when the baby comes because Em will move upstairs and the baby will be in our room. There is no plans to move rooms until the baby is ready to move into a room with her. She may never have her own room lol.

AFM: I just accepted a job in the cardiac lab. I was a little torn on the position. It's a half time 8 hr weekday shifts beautiful rotation. The work is right in line with what I love to do. It will be a steep but stimulating learning curve. The downside is there is radiation exposure in this job. I did a lot of research and agonizing over the last few days. It was brought up in the interview and not something that had even crossed my mind.  This baby is throwing all sorts of loops and twists in my lifeplans Oi!

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#1094 of 1166 Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM

I'm reading.  Miss you guys. 

Mal I often think of you and your mom. Much love to you. Glad the new house is feeling homey and everyone is settling in nicely. 

jealous of this PNW meet-up. This is my only DDC that Ihaven't met anyone from. 

Nilla, congrats on the job. 

Sue, so excited for you boy. Also I think you should post more pics on facebook. 

Ever, Louis is so cute but I am so glad we didn't get a puppy last time. i totally don't have the patience for all that. I would be a wretched puppy mom. Give me a kitten anyday. 

school is going well. I am doing well in all of my classes...well we shall see what's happening in microbiology the lecture. we haven't had our first test yet. and on that note I leave you all to write notes about the upcoming test. 

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#1095 of 1166 Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone!  How are things?  I want some updates :)

I had my big oral exam yesterday.  And I'm no less stressed now than I was before.  I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks until I find out if I passed.  And I feel like I did ok, but I know the marking can be very specific, so that makes me nervous.  Hopefully I passed.  It would be so bad if I didn't :(  My career would be delayed another 6 months, not to mention the financial stress that would cause.  Gah.  Oh well.

My work contract ended Friday so I'm temporarily unemployed (or, temporarily a stay at home mom, that sounds better :P)  There will be two positions starting in January so hopefully I'll get one of those.  But for now I don't know what to do with myself!  I'm volunteering to go along on R's first class trip on Friday!  So that will be fun (we're off to a pumpkin patch).  

Anyway, I want to hear how everyone else is doing!

#1096 of 1166 Old 10-18-2013, 04:33 PM

I'm sure you did well on the exam, but wow what a wretchedly long time to wait.

I'm driving people to school, going to school, doing homework. I don't see my friends enough and sometimes I'm not an awesome mom BUT overall I am currently juggling it pretty well. The house isn't a complete disaster, Hubs and I make sure to take time to talk often, and I find time to interact with the kids in a fun way at least a couple of times a week. Also I will be able to apply for honors society now, I just need to get a teacher to write a recommendation. That shouldn't be a problem.  I will ask my microbiology professor. I have decided to stick with him for anatomy and physiology 1 and lab since my a & P prof. friend only has a completely online class and a hybrid lab that would make me late to pick up my kids. I have the kids Christmas presents pretty much bought (just need a few stocking stuffers), there is no way I am reliving that whole not having any money to get them Christmas presents like last year.

#1097 of 1166 Old 10-20-2013, 09:51 PM

Sue & Erin: I hope you are having a lovely time on your trips!

Sue: Still so excited for your boy!! 

Erin: Where has the tour taken you lately?

Everr: Enjoy being at home while you are with R and your adorable little pup! I hope you rocked your exam. Waiting sucks! I'll keep everything crossed for you. Is bus guy still around?

Nila: Congrats on the job. What did you decide to do in regards to the radiation exposure? 

Courtney: You are amazing mama! You handle everything on your plate so well. You should be so so proud of yourself! Yay for having christmas shopping done and off your mind! I need to get to work on that. 

AFM: Hmmm. What do I have to add? Aria is now 1. She is almost walking but not quite there. Makenna was just telling me how fun her little sister is. It's really precious to watch them together in their mutual adoration for each other. We are just keeping busy with regular life and finally able to get out and do fun things in the mornings again now that the morning nap is gone. We had a fun outing to the pumpkin patch/old time farm yesterday. Looking forward to all the halloween festivities in the next week and a half. We'll be staying home for the holidays, we decided. My mom may come spend christmas with us but she's not even sure if she can come. I think we'll head back to visit my in-laws in January - much less hectic than x-mas. 

Nothing too exciting over here. I think I've decided that our family is complete with 2 kiddos. I'm unloading a ton of baby stuff. It makes me sad but I am so tired waiting on these 2 hand and foot that I can't imagine spreading myself even more thin. I guess I'm feeling exhausted lately. LOL. 

Thinking of you all!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#1098 of 1166 Old 10-27-2013, 05:19 PM

Hi all,  Things have been kind of crazy -- traveling around for the last month, but not in the way we normally do!  We have a bit of a respite here at my dad and stepmom's house for a bit, in Seattle. Still a ton of events, and some driving, but a home base to come back to for the next couple weeks before heading farther south.  (Cindy, where are you in California? We'll be in California around Thanksgiving).  

Luckily the kids have been rolling well with all the moving around.  Either they're very adaptable, or we've forced them to be.  K spends 90% of his time making paper airplanes and lego airplanes these last few months, so was extraordinarily happy to get a chance to go to a flight museum today in Seattle. K wants to carve a Concorde on his pumpkin. L wants a family of people.

#1099 of 1166 Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 AM

Hi all,
I'm reading along too, and thinking of you all. Mal? How's your mom doing?
How are you, my dear?
Erin ... you're kids come by their adaptability honestly. And I bet K was THRILLED about the flight museum! Will this be their first big town Halloween or are you keeping it low key?
Cindy ... Big decision! It's hard to be moving away from all things baby, isn't it? When E was H's age, I was pregnant. It's odd for H to be 2 now with no more babies in sight!
Nilla ... How's the cardiac lab learning curve going?
Sue ... You're back home? How's your pregnancy going? How was your trip?
Kate? You around? xo
Courtney ... Way to go on conquering the holiday tangle! That on top of all your schoolwork and mamawork. You honestly are a rock star!
Ever ... How's the puppy? SUCH a long wait for your exam results. Too long. Meh. greensad.gif

AFU:
We're hunkered down, in a very fall-like fashion. I'm tired of interacting with people, and so are my kids, so we're reeling it all in for a while.
Unfortunately, we didn't get to see Erin or Sue (even though we would've wanted to!). Our car crapped out and we don't have the money to fix it, bummer extraordinaire.
Esmé is really into reading, and viruses. The two fill up her day, mostly, with a lot of mucking about outside. She's very into studying about viruses, with about the same level of passion that's she's applied to bugs.
We also got her into the homeschool dissection class at the aquarium. Did I already mention that? She is super STOKED.
Hawk is out of diapers, much to my amazement. Even at night. This means huge savings for us with time and money. So much so that I don't think I realized what a economic and time drain it really was, what with shlepping them to the co-op coin laundry. I really hope it sticks! We didn't do anything. He just started using the potty on his own. It's been about two weeks now. I'm just about to list out cloth dipes to sell them.
Kind of sad to be out of baby mode now that he's turned two!
He's really into watching contruction sites right now. And riding his pedal bike. Which also amazes me.
He's turned out to be a non-stop talked like E. Everyone in our house has a LOT to say. All. The. Time.
The audiostory site is SO CLOSE! I'll keep you posted. It's a big time suck, so I sure hope there's so money to be had (or at least recouped!)
Must go for now.
xo

#1100 of 1166 Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 PM

Hey ladies. We must start checking in more often, I miss you!

Ever: yay for being done with your exam, but boo about having to wait so long. Are you still off with R for now? How is that going?
Courtney: You are awesome for having Christmas done already! G's birthday is Saturday and we still haven't gotten her anything or even started on Christmas. Things have just been too hectic around here.
Cindy: Yes, big decision indeed. Pretty sure we're done too, but I've been leaning that way since G was born anyway.
Erin: You sure you can't make a pit stop in the Midwest?! I'm pretty active in my DDC from G and slowly but surely everyone is finally meeting each other. Makes me a little sad that I've never actually met any of you ladies. We should fix that someday...
Starling, good to hear from you too. E sounds like such a fun kid! And I'm so jealous of the potty learning. G wants to sit on the potty all the time, but she never does anything on it. And she is extremely attached to her Mimi (pacifier). I think we're gonna have to go cold turkey on that, but I'm going out of town next week, so it won't be happening yet. I have it in my head that we will do it soon after I get home. It won't be pretty.

AFM: How am I? Well, kind of a mess still. Life just keeps happening even though I keep telling the universe to back off. It's not listening. But I'm dealing. I'm actually in therapy now. I found someone really great and have seen her a few times now. It's helping me feel a little more in control of some pretty intense emotions. My mom...well, she started seeing a new team of doctors in Chicago. By the time she got to them, her cancer had spread significantly more than it was already. And, well, it was already bad. So, they started chemo right away, but she only got one infusion and a week of oral before they said her brain was worse and needs to be treated ASAP. Chemo doesn't treat the brain, so they had to stop the chemo and she's going through 3 weeks of radiation on the brain. In the meantime, the rest of her body isn't being treated, so yeah... If they treat one then the other gets worse. I'm going to Chicago next week to stay with her for a few days, then I'm stopping in STL for a few days to visit some friends. It'll be nice to have some time to myself.

#1101 of 1166 Old 10-31-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mal - I'm so sorry that things are hard right now.  I really hope that your mom gets a break and all the treatments go smoothly.  It's such a difficult process.  I'm thinking of you.

Starling - I'm so impressed with Esme!  I wish she could have come when I met you last spring, she seems like such a smart kid!  I'm not sure what Royce would think of a dissection class.. Likely he'd love it too :)  I'm always impressed with the things he says and the ideas and questions he comes up with. 

And YAY for being done with diapers!!  I watched a home video last week of Royce right after he stopped wearing diapers (2 years, 3 months) and I couldn't believe how much of a baby he still was, and yet in the video he stops playing and asks (in his baby-talk) to go potty.  Crazy.  

Erin - I'm glad your travels are going well!  I'm not surprised that you have adaptable kids :D

Cindy - I still really want one more.  But I try and talk myself into being ok with one just in case.  I still technically have some time (I'm 30), but I don't want to put it off for too much longer.. Of course I need a man (well, would like one).. :P

Courtney - Good for you for juggling everything.  Keep strong, it'll all be worth it :)  I don't envy you at all, I'm happy to be on this side of the whole 'back to school' process.  But I feel really proud of myself and I'm happy with the opportunities I have now.  So no regrets!

AFM - I am currently unemployed, I have at least a month before I know if I passed my exam.  But I'm applying for jobs and just assuming I passed.  Mostly I'm bored out of mind because R is at school during the day.  I know I should enjoy it but, gah, I'm bored.  And I can't even get a part time job because there is nothing that would allow me to never work nights or weekends.  Plus, after how busy the last 2 years have been, I think it's nice for me to actually have the time and energy for R.

Things with the puppy are good, I'm trying to get more serious about house training.  I'm kind of lazy though and enjoy just letting him go on paper.  But he's slowly figuring it out.  He's only 13 weeks so I know it'll be a few months before he's fully trained. He seems like a smart little guy and he sleeps through the night so that's a bonus.  He has a really great personality.  I'm happy with him :)

And, yes bus guy is still around.  It's complicated, sort of.  My relationship with my ex was so much simpler, we were teenagers, we fell in love, and never worried about anything.  With this guy, he is a worrier, plus we're older and life is more complicated.  It's been on and off with him since I met him.  And we've had a couple big fights lately.  But we always end up talking again.  I really do love him, he's one of my best friends right now, but he can also really be an idiot sometimes.  I think we would both like to eventually be together.  I need to get a job first.  And if I don't get a job here then I'm not sure things will last for us.  I don't know.

Anyway, that's my update :D

#1102 of 1166 Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 PM

Everr -- Sometimes, I think it would be nice to be bored...  :)  Though I hope you are soon employed and happily settled with bus guy.  I think relationships must get more complicated with age--I was 18 when I met my husband, and we certainly didn't worry about much!

Mal - Sorry things are so tough with your mom.  I hope you get a break with your friends.  I would like to make it to the midwest sometime.  Actually, right now I feel like I wouldn't like to make it anywhere at all, I've been doing so much traveling. :)  But maybe another year.

Starling - Sorry about the car - it would have been fun, but it's OK.  An event isn't necessarily the best place for a chat anyway. Viruses are cool. I've got to say I envy you a little bit on that one. As a former biologist, I like viruses much more than I like WWI airplanes.  I think K could read if he cared to (he's been able to sound out words forever) but doesn't seem too interested. He's randomly gotten interested in math though and will ask us for "math questions" in the car.  He likes questions like "77+6" or "100+100" but will only do pluses.

AFM -- I actually really like doing presentations, and kind of like interviews, and like meeting people. But I'm getting really tired of logistics, and we still have so far to go! I want to get home and back to writing and adventuring already instead of just talking about it!  It will be a little easier when we leave Seattle, since I won't have so many people I need to visit in between the events (and I can't help taking classes at my old aikido dojo)

What are all the kids' favorite things right now?  Katmai is into everything airplane and flight related, though he feels that being a pilot in real life would be much too scary.  He prefers to fold dozens and dozens of paper airplanes. Some of his paper airplanes are quite creative, and his better ones are easily as good as anything I can make. He has recently decided that his lego airplanes should be WWI dogfighters, so now they're all getting shot down.   I was sort of wondering when I'd end up having to deal with the little boy violence-play, but I guess it's here now... I have to work a little harder to be engaged on this project than I did on prehistoric creatures, but the paper airplanes really are quite cool.

#1103 of 1166 Old 11-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Everr ... Knowing about R and his being out of dipes around two is what made me realize that H could do it. He's a big kid, as physically developed as most 3yo kids I
know, so I suppose I should!'t be surprised. Plus, he wants so much to be like E!
Erin, I get exhausted by doing author talks. I do one and need a whole day to recoup! Your itinerary makes me want to crawl into a closet, curl into a fetal position, and vomit. Kudos to you for hanging in there and rockin'
it! And I agree, author talks are not great for chats, so to speak. I'm so sorry i missed you!
Also, Erin ... I hear you on having to rustle up sone genuine excitement about our kids' projects that might be less than thrilling for us.
I am NOT a scientist, and don't have much interest in it.
I am NOT in heavy machinery, either.
Sigh.

#1104 of 1166 Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Hi All,

We had a last minute trip to Indiana last Thursday. DH got a call the night before that his dad was in the hospital. Then we got woken up at 5am (er we were actually already both awake with the baby that wanted to play) saying that this was it and DH needed to get out there ASAP. We were afraid DH wouldn't even make it in time to say goodbye. We decided to all go. So I had like 3 hours to get the kids up, dressed, fed and to pack for all of us before we left! Miraculously, my FIL's kidneys that had failed actually started to work again by the time we landed! So he managed to pull through. We still ended up spending a full week there bc it was so day to day and also bc DH and his brothers had to figure out where FIL would live and what kind of care he would get now (he was in assisted living bc he has alzeheimers but now he is going to a nursing home). Anyway, we are super thankful that the trip turned out how it did. It was draining being there for so long though. M had fun with her cousins but oddly enough, the one that is 9 mos older than her that she always loved so much did not play as well with her this time and the one a year younger that she never cared much for became her favorite. 

Anyway, we got back super late on Wed. I've been busy trying to get things put away and back to normal. We had fun trick or treating with a preschool friend.

Today is one of those days where I'm like "why did I have kids?". I could be getting off work right now, going to take a nap then do a yoga class then out to dinner and drinks with friends. Instead I'm dealing with a b*tchy little girl who tells me she hates everything I give her and that I'm a bad mom bc I give her healthy food and who runs away instead of helping me with something or throws something on the ground instead of handing it to me. She really put me in a horrible mood right before I brought her to school. Then of course, despite her telling me she doesn't like me as a mom, she clings to me and doesn't want me to leave. I think I need a nap or more coffee or something bc I really shouldn't be as bothered by this as I am. I just struggle sometimes bc she really so obviously likes her dad more than me at times and I feel like a lot of it is just sheerly bc I have a 2nd child and just am not as available for fun as I used to be. Not sure how to fix that. Someone does have to manage the not fun parts of life and that is always me.

Mal - I am so sorry for all you are going through! I will keep your mom in my prayers! 

Erin - I am in Berkeley, just outside San Francisco.

Favorite things? Unfortunately, disney princesses ranks pretty high up there right now. We avoided princess stuff for a long time then I gave in. Maybe it's just a Berkeley thing but people are really anti here. A woman here even wrote a book (that I have yet to read) called "Cinderella ate my daughter". Anyway. Into that, really into whales and dolphins right now. Collecting treasures is a big favorite passtime lately. And she is really into coloring now. I never pushed coloring books but we've always had a couple and she never liked them. Now she is super into it. Not sure how I feel about that. I usually prefer projects she creates on her own. But I don't think there is anything wrong with coloring books per se. I am glad her attention span has lengthened enough to finish a picture now at least. Still not much interest here in writing or reading and I haven't pushed it. She does know her letters and the sounds and can write some but hates working on it for more than 2 minutes. 

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#1105 of 1166 Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 AM

Mal - my thoughts are with you and your mom. I'm sending cancer crushing vibes her way.

Erin - I HATE logistics so I feel ya although I've never had to plan for anything like you plan.

Cindy - I think 4 year old girls should come with a warning label that says "Trying out b*tch mode for later in life". Or at least mine should. The tones and words that come out of her mouth Yikes!

Starling - Can't wait for the audio site. I love audio books even children's ones. And viruses wowza for me that would be so easy to be engaged in but I am a science nerd.

Courtney - Your strength amazes me.

JustKate - what's up with you and the gals?

Ever - I know you rocked that exam. My fingers are crossed on the job hunt for you.

AFU: I start my new job in 2 weeks. I am frightened and excited. I'm hoping that getting enough hours above what is scheduled won't be a problem with all the areas I work but we shall see. Pregnancy is going smoothly knock on wood. I'm feeling human, can drink coffee again and I am making myself some mat clothes from thrift store and old stuff in my closet. I am 2 sizes smaller than last time so none of my old stuff fits but I am tailoring and updating so that I don't have to buy anymore. It's rather fun. I think I am going to take next semester off. I need to get my head sorted around this thesis and I really need a break. Plus I just don't have the money to pay for tuition this semester what with mat leave coming up.

Favorite things: Em is into lego as always and reading, he devours books. They are blogging at school so that is what he wants to do a lot of the time. He is playing hockey and likes it when he's on the ice but not so much the getting there.

Dee is still into babies and art and sewing since that is what I am doing right now. I need to make her a sewing board but no time yet so I give her a needle, thread and scraps and she sews a big ball of buttons and scraps.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#1106 of 1166 Old 11-10-2013, 05:52 AM

Mal, hugs momma. I think about you often. i wish there was more i could do.

Starling- diaper free is awesome. I'd so like to get there.  E is so cute with her little passions. I am still floored that our babies are almost 5, they are so kid bow and it blows my mind,.

#1107 of 1166 Old 11-20-2013, 01:38 PM

I have been MIA for longer then I intended. Hope you are all doing well. I think about you often. We south for a month with family which was nice. The girls loved having cousin time! Fiona had a pretty hard time coming home. First sick for a week with high fevers and then lots of behavior problems. Adjustments are hard for her. She was great on the trip and let it all out when we got home. I was in tears a lot. It was pretty rough. Slowly getting back to our home rhythm and settling in for winter. It is snowing now and beautiful. Maeve is doing well. Talking all the time and staying busy. The pregnancy is going well. Baby boy is moving a lot these days and I love that. 

Fiona is loving Little House on the Prairie these days. Dh reads it to her every night at bedtime and I get a recap every morning. They are on the third book. I'm so glad there are so many in the series because she can't get enough!! She also is loving sewing projects and has asked for her own sewing kit for Christmas. That will be fun to put together. I am on a quest for the perfect container!  We also pulled the plug on the tv about 2 weeks ago. It has been really great for the kids. They are into projects and haven't even asked for it more then a couple of times. Feels good but I admit when I am tired it has been tempting to plug them in a bit. I'm holding strong though!

I hope all of you are well. Mal, thinking a lot about you and your Mama. And everyone else here. Love and light to all of you!

#1108 of 1166 Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 PM

What's on your Christmas lists?

#1109 of 1166 Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 PM

I happen to have Makenna's wish list sitting right here. She was way into making lists for everyone. It has: a scooter, roller skates, stuffed shark, toy computer, her own garden, stilts and rainbow colored rocks. I'm sure she'll get a few of those things. I also want to get an underwater flash light for the bath and maybe a tadpole kit to watch it grow into a frog. Not sure about anything else yet really. I plan to go to the local exploratorium for some stocking stuffers. They had lots of fun things in their gift shop when we were there.

I have no clue what to buy Aria. She will be about 15 mos at christmas. I feel like we already have all the toys for that stage! Ideas, anyone?

#1110 of 1166 Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Erin - I hope all your travels are going well.  When do you get home?

R's favourite things would probably be super heroes/action figures, airplanes and helicopters, and yes, of course, guns...  I try and keep things gun free but he still turns everything into a gun.  He built one with his lego.  Gah.. Oh well..   Just the last few days he's been into making lists and trying to sound out how the words are spelled.  It really varies day by day what he's playing with.  He's such a perfectionist with his lists, he'll need an entire new piece of paper if he messes up at all.  I'm trying to end that but he gets so frustrated :/

Oh and for Christmas, he's getting a leapster gs from Santa plus his stocking.  Then from me he's getting 2 national geographic kids books (he loves reading real facts vs stories), a ninja turtle costume, and a little helicopter/dinosaur transformer thing.  I got him 2 extra games for the leapster but I'm going to save those for his birthday which is just a few weeks after.

Starling  How's the potty learning going?  
As for genuine excitement about kids interests... I don't know if I really get too involved with anything R is doing..  Maybe I should more.  I kind of just let him do his thing.  But, he is at school all day every day, I guess if we were home schooling I'd have to do more teaching :P

Cindy - Oh wow, that does sound like a draining trip.  I'm glad things turned out ok.  Although, I know that when someone you love has alzheimers it's like you've lost them already.  It's so hard :(

And I have lots of moments where I feel like R has completely ruined my life.  I know that sounds horrible, but I just never planned to be doing this on my own.  And he is just so miserable a lot of the time.  It's incredibly frustrating.  Getting ready to leave in the morning and bedtime are both ridiculous disasters every single time.   I have all the time he's in school to myself and I still wish I had more breaks from him.  I think a lot of it is because I'm lonely and depressed.  He traps me at home at night, I can't go anywhere, and I'm alone all the time.  I do have my bus guy, but I only see him maybe one night a week when my mom can babysit.  It's not enough.  Anyway, that's my whine about that :/

Nilla - How's the new job??

Sue  - I'm glad your trip home went well!  I can see how that would be a big adjustment for the kids.  And R has watched a ton of Little House on the Prairie at my mom's house.  She has the complete set of the show :P  We don't have TV here but we do watch shows on netflix.  And I know he's on netflix a lot at my mom's house too.  
Glad everything is going well with the pregnancy!  Despite my rant above about R ruining my life, I also have baby fever..  Bus guy and I have talked about the future and living together/having a baby.  He's older so I know he wouldn't want to wait too long.  The thought of possibly being pregnant in a year is really really exciting :)

R is home today with what I think is pink eye.  And I think I'm getting it too..  It has been going around his class and yesterday and today his eyes have been slightly pink.  And mine feel dry and itchy.  I'm going to go crazy if he's home with me all week.  

OH, and I should hopefully get my exam results this week!  They said 6-8 weeks and it's 6 weeks tomorrow!  In previous years the last week of November seems to be when people get their results.  I'm nervous but also excited to finally know (assuming that I passed...)

Tags
Childhood

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page