February '09 Mamas ~ Childhood Chat :) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 1166 Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Sue -  I see how frustrating that must be for you.  But I really get your husband's point too.  I grew up in Seattle, and would NEVER want to commute daily from its farther outlying areas - especially any of the islands.  Which island is it?  I think Seattle is fine if you live actually within city limits, preferably not too far to the edges, and make use of the public transit/bike paths.  Otherwise, the traffic is just not worth it. 

But I love Alaska, and my adult community is wonderful here, so I shouldn't talk.  Is there a way you could make more connections where you are?  Not as a replacement for moving, but as something to make your life better in the meantime? 

Everr - I hope the shorter nap works out for him.  With 2 hours nap, I can't believe he ever went to sleep at night at all!

Courtney - I was convinced L was a boy for the first 2/3 of pregnancy, and only really thought about her as a girl at the very end (we didn't find out beforehand).  I understand how you might feel you can't get lucky enough to have another healthy baby yet again.  I felt a little of that even with #2.  But luckily, statistics don't work that way - your odds are just about the same each time.

I hope you do get speech help for June - that sounds like it must be so frustrating for her!

Mal - I'm sorry you're having trouble with nursing.  When is the school year over for you?

Kate - wow that's close!  Hoping for some cute baby pics soon!

Speech - K is understandable by basically everyone, and has been for a long time, unless he gets into one of his long extra-high-pitched run-on whining fits, then no one can.  A few random grammar errors, but no real pronunciation problems that I can think of off the top of my head. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 1166 Old 03-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sue, I totally get it. I SO want to move out of Florida, there are some things I like about it but mostly not so much. I want to live near the mountains. My dream spot the PNW, 2nd place near at least one of my sisters. and NOW all my sisters are moved or moving and the only person left will be my mom, who isn't helpful but quite the opposite. I do have some good friends but I am just not a Florida person. However Hubs doesn't seem to be interested in moving anytime soon and I feel like we are just stuck here forever.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#93 of 1166 Old 03-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
double post ... wierd

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#94 of 1166 Old 03-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Phone post ... Sorry for typos

Courtney ... I think if I had three girls, I'd be pretty convinced that my fourth was going to be a boy. That said, your Little Women set needs one more girl! As for feeling a sense of unease, I truly understand the feeling. I was never brave enough to talk about it on here, but I had a sense of something going wrong with my pregnancy with H. I think I was sensing that i would end up with the c-section and failed homebirth. If I was pregnant with my fourth, I'd be anxious about the odds too ... I think that's totally normal. On the other hand, you've set a great precedent with three beautiful, healthy children so far. Hugs to you.

Sue ... Oh! How frustrating! I understand the commute issue, but the chance to be near family is SO awesome! And of course, you'd be closer to me! No way you could live nearer his work? Visit your family lots?

Mal ... What about getting rid of the bottles altogether? H started on open cups and sippies at four and a half months or so. How old is Greta? I think it helps keep H at the breast, because that's where he gets his sucking needs met. Does she use a soother? Maybe toss that too? There'd be a couple rough days while she adjusts, but might be better in the long run if she only has your boobs when it comes to sucking. I hope it all works out!

Ever ... I doubt R is any more of a bully than any of our children. I do think that kids sense weakness and naturally exploit opportunities while they are learning the more subtle codes and cues of social interaction. I hope your nephew can learn or acquire some strategies and coping skills before kindergarten. He'll be one of the youngest in his class, which will be a challenge. Would they consider holding him back?

Speech: this is E's strong point, which is nice. She's extremely verbal and has an amazing vocabulary .... Better than most eight year olds I know! I'm glad she has something she is really good at, especially when I'm noticing so many of her peers ace playground dynamics, make friends easily and perfect new physical challenges after just a couple of tries. My little wordy bookworm is just fine. Right?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#95 of 1166 Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM

Neither of us wants to live in the city. And I get the commute issue- it was just for a little bit I was having a wonderful daydream about living close to my family. I know we'll get there...

Everr: I hope your cousin't little one can get some intervention for his speach issue. Maybe once he starts preschool the teachers will get him some help if his parents are reluctant to acknowledge it.

Mal: I think I'd try some of the suggestions Starling gave. Sorry you are having such trouble right now! Sounds really stressful.

Starling: Of course a quiet bookworm is wonderful and perfect! We all have our strengths!

Fiona is in her "baby me" mode. It's really taken this long to hit. I expected it earlier. I've been trying to wear her on my back in the ergo for a bit each day which seems to help. It's what I do a lot of with Maeve so she likes that. She started sucking on her hands and fingers after M was born too. Somewhat annoying but we've decided to ignore it. Also, refusing to use utensils when she eats and only using her fingers. Not sure how to deal with that. We keep encouraging her to use her fork but she'll say, "little girls like me need to use fingers." I'm sure it will pass... sigh!

Everyone should wear their footie jammies and cowgirl boots to play in the snow!

IMG_4581.JPG

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#96 of 1166 Old 03-20-2012, 05:36 PM

Do you guys all have wills? We haven't done one yet bag.gif. Mostly because we haven't really decided who we would want the girls to go to if we both died. I hate thinking about really but I know we need to do it. I REALLY REALLY don't want them to go to anyone on DH's side. We've both thought my sister but she and her husband are always strapped for cash and barely have room for their own kids in their tiny place. We may ask my brother- really though, I don't even know how to bring it up. How have you guys approached this?

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#97 of 1166 Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I hate thinking about that :(  I don't have a will..  Well, I have a little typed up thing that I signed but I don't think that really counts.  It was just a quick fix because I knew it would take me forever to get an actual will done.  BUT, the important people in R's life know what I want.  He will go to live with Grandma if something happens to me.  And I've talked to my mom and my best friend about my concerns if ex should suddenly reappear wanting custody.  They will fight him in court for R.  I hate the idea of something happening to me before R is old enough to understand where I've gone and why...  Just thinking about what it would be like for him tears my heart apart :(

Your pic of Fiona is super cute!  I can't believe all the snow.. We are still having our unusually warm weather.  We're in sandals and t-shirts here!!  Tomorrow I babysit J so we're all going to have a picnic at the park after daycare!  

J actually goes to the same daycare as R, but he's in a different class.  I'm really surprised the staff there hasn't expressed concern (that I know if).  He really needs help with his language.  Maybe my cousin will hold him back for jk, but I'm not sure..  Daycare would be more expensive than just before/after school care (we have full day jk here..) R has also started translating for him (or just guessing what he wants and asking for it for him).  It's a hard situation, I feel so bad :(  My mom is trying to deal with R's bullying with lots of praise when he's playing nicely.  I'm not sure how I feel about that... Praising for something he should be doing anyway seems kind of weird.  I'm not really a 'good job' type of parent, it doesn't come naturally for me...  Although my solution tends to be lots of time outs and/or yelling, which isn't working :/  

Starling - a wordy bookworm sounds wonderful!  R uses his language skills to be mischievous :P  Sometimes that kid is too clever for his own good!

Sue - That is frustrating about the Seattle job.. I understand both views.  How bad is the commute?  I am so so happy to be back in my hometown near my mom.  I really don't ever want to leave here (of course it depends on if I can get a job when I graduate.. I'm staying optimistic that I will).  It's a tough situation for sure.. *hugs*

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#98 of 1166 Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Wills: We haven't done one yet, but we've been talking about it a lot lately. We're going to Jamaica next year for a friend's destination wedding and I've set the goal to get our will done before we leave for that. I hate the thought of people fighting over our kids and there are a lot of different people I can think of that would step forward and want to take care of them. It's hard to decide who though... For a lot of reasons, my IL's would be a good pick, but neither of us feels right asking our parents to raise our kids when they should be enjoying their retirement. Luckily, all our family lives in the same area, so no matter who had custody of them, everyone would still be a part of their lives. 

Speaking of parents and retirement... my dad got offered a job by the people buying his company. It's a long commute, but they offered to let him work 3 12-hour shifts and pay for a hotel room for two nights. Then, he'll have 4 days in a row at home. They're paying him just a little more also. He's not thrilled about how far away it is, but he figures he should take it since he's so close to retirement. Could be hard for him to find anything else...

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement on the nursing issues. I went to the support group meeting and got some great advice from other moms there. I'm trying not to stress too much about it, but also trying to be okay with the fact that it might not completely work out. I am taking fenugreek and it seems to be helping a little. Today, I did a power pumping session (10 min. of pumping, 20 min off) for 2 hours. It totally sucked, but maybe it'll help. 

So, Owyn got the movie "Lady and the Tramp" for her birthday. She really likes it and has asked to watch it a few times. But she's really scared of the scene with the Siamese cats. The other day, when that part came on, she dropped what she was doing and ran out of the room saying those were scary kitty cats! Today, she just started crying her eyes out. I went running into the room to find her covering her eyes, crying and talking about the scary kitty cats. She still asks to watch the movie though!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#99 of 1166 Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Mal: Yay for your dad! That's incredible they are paying for a hotel for him. As for the movie, Makenna always runs out of the room when the monkey comes on in Toy Story 3 and asks me to skip those scenes. But she still LOVES the movie. Funny - we have 2 siamese cats. I wonder if that scene would scare Makenna? Probably not just bc we have those cats. Ugh - power pumping SUCKS! Been there. I hope the advice you got helps you guys out. 

Starling: I agree - a wordy bookworm is great! :-) M is not very social these days either, except with her couple friends she's known forever. She has become more shy as time has gone on. 

Wills. We don't have one. Thanks for reminding me! I honestly do not know who she should go to. My first thought is DH's brother and his wife. They have a very similar way of parenting and 2 kiddos close to M's age. I feel much more in tuned with them than my own siblings. But they are expecting their 3rd child. So that could be a lot to ask of them. But then again, my brother and sister both have lots of kids too - and I do NOT like the way they parent. My mom is too tired and has fibromyalgia - it wouldn't work. Though I'm sure she would if she had to. 

Unfortunately, my oldest nephew was 3 when his mommy passed away!! The idea just breaks my heart still. Especially having a 3 yr old now! I was 19 at the time. My brother and my nephew moved in with us for a while after that happened and my mom and dad helped a lot with my nephew. I just will never get the image of him at the gathering after her funeral out of my mind. He was running around playing with his cousins and having a great time with little a care in the world - just so oblivious still to what had happened. Ok enough about that - it's going to make me cry thinking about it. 

We are working on the toe walking. We walked to and from the park on our flat feet today. She's pretty proud that she can do it! Says she is getting really good at it and can't wait to show daddy. So we'll see. It takes me reminding her to stick with it about 50 times on the 3 block walk though. 

I am meeting with the midwife I like on Monday to see if we can work out a price we are comfortable paying. I would be so thrilled to try for a homebirth!! I'm just so torn about spending the money.

Cindy

PS: Makenna has demanded to go to bed early the last 2 nights. So unlike her!

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#100 of 1166 Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Wills - Ugh.  Speaking of paperwork we should have done years ago.  We've talked to the whole family about who the kids will go to (my husband's sister), and they're all friendly and easy-going people, so I'm pretty sure they'll do that and not fight over them.  But there's nothing in writing.  The hard thing in our family is that even though we have wonderful choices personality-wise, pretty much all of our relatives are single.  All our siblings are single, almost all of our parents (except my dad) are single, and there are no cousins or any other members of their generation around.  It would be a big burden on his single sister to suddenly be saddled with our two kids, and though I know she'd be a wonderful mom, and we do have a little life insurance, there's no getting around that.

Does anyone know if there's any way to make a simple will without a lawyer?  Something online maybe?

Cindy - that story about your nephew is so sad!  K talks about death sometimes, but I don't think he would get it at all if one of us really died. 

I hope you do get to do a homebirth if that's what you want.  I always thought it would be neat, but it never was an option here.  My births were good anyway, luckily.

Mal - I'm glad they're keeping your dad on, even though it doesn't sound like the best deal for him.  How many more years does he need to hold out there?

Everr - A power imbalance between kids naturally leads to one pushing the other around.  Not that you shouldn't try to stop it, of course, but it doesn't mean R is a bully.  K pushes around his sister as well (usually when she's attempting to bother or play with him), which I also try to stop, but I do think it's natural kid behavior.

Sue - K never did the "baby" phase, but I almost wish he had.  He's much more focused on differentiating himself from his baby sister, and constantly wants to talk about the things L can't do yet.

Starling -  We get what we get.  Your wordy bookworm is fine, and mine probably is too.  Today I was picking up K at preschool, and one of his classmates was in the hallway being goofy, making animal noises, etc...  K says "I don't like that funny talking boy."  L, on the other hand, runs over to him squealing, then runs away when he roars at her, then repeats the game.  I think I know who my social kid is going to be.  K has a great vocabulary, is incredibly verbal, obsessed with letters and numbers and words, confident, and fairly physically capable.  But he's aloof, stubborn, very cautious, and almost never gets involved in the run-around-and-be-crazy type of play that it seems like all the other kids do.  I sometimes wish he'd lighten up and be more of a regular kid.  But then I see a lot of myself in him, so I know where it's coming from. 

Movies - Is K the only kid who's never seen a kid's movie?  It really just never occurs to me to do it - movies in our house are an adult hangout time on the laptop after the kids are in bed.  Is he going to be hopelessly culturally behind by the time he gets to kindergarten?

#101 of 1166 Old 03-21-2012, 06:23 AM

I have a 9 year old and I still don't have a will. I so need to do something. I don't know who they should go to and it becomes even more difficult now that we are about to have FOUR KIDS! who the heck wants four kids.  Plus we will have no money to offer with the kids besides what social security will give.  we think maybe Chris's dad and step mom, but you know they are getting older. then you have my 3 sisters.  My oldest sister is awesome with them, but more in a spoiling them aunt sort of way and she has never wanted to have children but would take them. But her physical activity isn't great and there is this reward system and be good and eat all your food and some other image problems. My middle sister would take them but her boyfriend is really pretty sick right now, his heart and he can't do much. It would be hard for them to have 4 kids. She would really like her own kids but the dr's say his heart isn't strong enough to even make them right now. then my twin sister, who's about to have her first but she wants to go back to work after she has her baby and they just have a different standard of living that I am afraid adding 4 extra kids into the mix would ruin that. My mom is too sick and pretty needy overall, my dad is too religous, Chris's mom is sort of crazy, not overly fond of most of my kids (she likes the one that looks like Chris), i think her husband is a weird molester and there is NO WAY IN HELL my kids would even be allowed alone with them. I guess I should talk to my twin and my middle sister.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#102 of 1166 Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Erin: I was thinking about the movie thing. Like I think most of us have seen most disney movies, etc. But I doubt she will. She has seen all the toy stories and cars and maybe a couple other movies. Mostly they are reserved for when she is sick and gets to watch a lot of tv. Also my husband has been known to put one on on his laptop while I nap or something on the weekend so he can nap next to her. But I always feel really guilty letting her watch that much tv in a row without good reason! Haha no reason to worry about your child being culturally deprived. :-)

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#103 of 1166 Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

R watches movies but I'm sort of picky about what he watches.  He has seen quite a few though.  They never bother him at all, it's me who gets upset lol.  I guess it's more that some of them have some scary/depressing stuff going on and I don't really like him exposed to that.  But it all seems to go right over his head.  The little boys turning into donkeys in Pinnochio was horrible for me.. R didn't seem to care!    I don't mind Winnie the Pooh and Mary Poppins.  He has seen a number of Disney movies but I'm not sure about those.. Especially the older ones portray women as idiots or just have too big a focus on adult relationships (with the woman being submissive). I should delete them off the computer actually...  I think it's safer to stick to shows.  His absolute favourite show is Dinosaur Train.

Mal - Those siamese cats freaked me out too when I was little!!!  *shiver*  Although I always wanted to get the book on tape from the library..  I guess I had to conquer my fear :P

I'm glad to hear about your dads offer!

I just finished my last assignments for the year!  Now I just have my exams to prepare for and then I'm DONE!  And the closing date for my summer job is on Friday.  Please keep your fingers crossed for me that I get an interview!  (and an offer...)

#104 of 1166 Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Movies: F watches a fair amount of TV and movies. She likes shows better then movies usually such as Diego (her fave), Dora, Dinosaur Train, and Wonder Pets. We rent movies on the weekends and make popcorn which is fun. Most Disney stuff is too intense for her but she loves the various Pooh Bear movies from the classic which we own to some of the "newer" ones like Piglets Big Day. We have Bambi which DH was horrified since it "paints hunters as evil". I don't let her watch the "princess" movies though because I don't like them and they seem to have some scary element to all of them- evil step mother, witches, etc... Anyway we watch our share but are careful about what it is she watches.

#105 of 1166 Old 03-21-2012, 04:06 PM

So my friend tells me you can buy a kit online for wills and have it witnessed by 2 people and notarized. Doesn't sound too bad! My BIL and SIL are coming to visit us next months so I guess we should talk to them then about putting them down. 

Everr: Yay for almost being done!! What will your summer job entail? Fingers crossed for you! 

Cindy

#106 of 1166 Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM

That is interesting about the will kit. If you find a link let me know. I think we'll have a lawyer friend here do it for us though. We've decided to ask my sister even though money is sort of an issue. We figure we'll have some money and my parents will be able to help as well. They are just too old to be the guardians though.

Everr: Crossing fingers!!

#107 of 1166 Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a will kit a couple years ago and I'm pretty sure the templates for the will are on my mom's computer, once I find them I will share :)  

The job is a student public health inspector position.  It's a practicum I need to complete in order to become certified.  I can do it next summer but I'd really like to do it this summer!  Then I just have to complete my program and pass an oral exam and I will be a Certified Public Health Inspector :)

#108 of 1166 Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Court, I would take your kids.  I've always told you that.  I even want to make sure I have enough bedrooms when I buy a house for you all to come visit.  

joy.gif

(You're done at 4 right? j/k)

twins.gif M & B loving life together with Q baby.gif born 8/25/12
#109 of 1166 Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 AM

Everr- good luck!! I am crossing my fingers for you.

Movies- we didn't let Jewel watch princess movies at all or even introduce her to the disney princesses. then she went to school. it was over, her 2 best friends (twins) LOVED PRINCESSES), so Josie was exposed to it right off the bat as was Juniper. Now we don't do so many movies and more shows on netflix. I prefer showing Junie stuff like backyardigans, sesame street, yo gabba gabba, etc.  She does sometimes watch things I don't like as much when her older sisters watch stuff, I have absolutely said no to certain things like 6teen and other horrible shows. (in 6teen, I heard them say  something about someone being gay,and it wasn't about them actually being a homosexual which I would be fine with if it was dealt with respectfully, it was used as a slur. I was in that living room so quick!)

#110 of 1166 Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 PM

Testing tapatalk....

I'm having an awful time getting internet time lately! Aubs is really extra demanding, and I'm trying to cut back on TV since it seems like she can never get enough. I can stand tantruming over TV shows. We like Caillou, Wonder Pets, Backyardigans (love the music), and Curious George. Similar objections to the princess movies, although I don't even know some of them--Tiana, Rapunzel.... I think the last "new" Disney movie I saw was Lion King when it came out. My mom has introduced Cinderella, which is really annoying, but at least we don't have it here. I think I'll download some Diego, because she seems to enjoy that when they have it on at "pre-school." eyesroll.gif

Speaking of entertainment, I got an app the other day called Pocket Phonics that's sort of neat. It has the kid sound out the letter and trace it with their finger. There's a free version to see if you like it, and then I think the full version is $1.99.

Re. wills, we have "mutual reciprocal" wills--basically they say the exact same thing, that the other spouse gets everything if one dies; if we die in a "common accident" then everything is split between our parents. Really simple. We need to update them to appoint guardians, but really the only people who would be capable of taking the girl(s) would be my parents, and I know they'd fight for it if they had to, so I'm not terribly worried about it (thankfully). We had them done via DH's work, for free--some employee assistance type programs offer them for low or no cost, if anyone has that option. We probably need to do something more elaborate, but bleh. It will get done eventually. We did them right after we got married b/c DH was going to training out of state, and we wanted to get medical directives in place JIC. Remember the whole Terry Shiavo thing, the woman in FL with the feeding tube? It was about that time and we were sort of disturbed.

Need to go back a page now and catch up!

ETA: (again) that even if you don't have a formal will, something in writing is better than nothing. Take it to a notary and have them notarize your signature; give a duplicate (not a photocopy) to someone you trust.

As for me, I'm starting to feel seriously pregnant and a bit uncomfortable--mostly just winded all of the time. 38+ weeks, but no real feeling like babe will come before 40. Although she's welcome any time now! Next midwife appt is Tuesday, so I might have her check me if she offers. Not that it means anything, but I can't help but be curious since I can't reach my cervix myself anymore. Trying not to think about the induction/RCS decisions I'll have to make if I go over 40. I'm sort of worried that having Aubs running around all the time is going to just delay labor indefinitely, b/c I'm not going to be able to relax enough with her doing her thing. Every time I lay down to take a nap or go to sleep, the BHx kick up strong enough to keep me awake, but of course nothing productive. Ho hum. So we wait.

Courtney, how are you feeling? Cindy?

Mal, if things don't work out with your donor and I have oversupply issues again, I could potentially help you out with milk after babe is born. Keep us posted on how that goes....

#111 of 1166 Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Kate; Hoping you won't even have to think about what to do if you get to 40 weeks. I knew things felt way different on a Thursday when i was pregnant with Maeve. I was sure that labor would start that day and it did- but not until I got Fiona to sleep that night did things really get going. It was like my body could finally relax enough knowing I didn't have to take care of her too. Your labor will start but maybe not till Aubs is in dream land. Getting so excited for you!! Can't wait to see pictures!

#112 of 1166 Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM

Kate: You are so close!! So is Courtney! I can't wait to see pics of the new babies!! I can't remember if you've mentioned this already, but any names yet?

Greta has a double ear infection right now and one of her ear drums burst from it. My poor girl. greensad.gif I feel bad because I suspect she had it for a few days before we realized it. She also popped her first tooth this week, so we just attributed her symptoms to that. I've never heard her scream the way she did when the doctor checked her ears. It just broke my heart. Owyn has never had an ear infection, so this is a first for us. Just hoping she isn't prone to them! I'm really shocked by her though. You'd think she'd be in some awful pain with as bad as her infection got, but she's just been a little fussier than normal. She's a generally very happy baby, so this little bit of extra fussing was unusual, but it still wasn't that bad. 

We are counting down the days until our Easter break. I have an early out at work next Wednesday, then we're out until the next Wednesday. That'll be my last break from work until the end of the school year. 5 weeks after Easter break and I'll be done for the summer! I am so looking forward to it. I have to say, just looking forward to this summer off work is making me more excited about my job. I've gone back and forth all semester on whether or not I want to come back next year. Right now, I'm leaning towards staying with it. The breaks, the time off, the part time schedule... all for very decent pay considering what I do. It's hard to leave something that gives me this much time with my girls. Plus, we've recently had a lot of visitors considering schools for next year. I've gotten a lot of great feedback from families. People are coming to my classroom telling me they've heard such great things about me and really want their kids in my class. That's pretty rewarding right there and makes me feel like people are depending on me. 

So, while wondering around Walgreens waiting on Greta's prescription, I found her an adorable Easter basket. I also found some super cheap Easter candy for Owyn's basket. So, I got that totally done! One less thing to worry about getting! Owyn's friend gave her a Pez dispenser the other day and she is obsessed with it. I found an Easter Pez dispenser with some refills to stick in her basket. She'll be so excited about that! This weekend, I'm taking Owyn clothes shopping. It'll be the first day Greta has stayed at home with DH all day. Owyn seems to be looking forward to a day with just Mommy though.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#113 of 1166 Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 PM

I just put some pictures of my girls in cloth diapers/longies in for this contest. Give them a thumbs up if you have time! Let me know if you add any of your own pictures! :)

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1348900/the-annual-mothering-cloth-diaper-photo-contest

#114 of 1166 Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

AK - voted!

Mal - Oh poor Greta!  With such little fussing I wouldn't have suspected something so bad either.  R never has had an ear infection (actually, he's never been sick enough to take to a doctor for anything..)  It does sound like you have a great job there with the hours and time off, it's nice to have such a good balance.  A job you love and that you're great at is awesome!!

Kate - You're sooo close!  I'm thinking of you and sending lots of labour vibes.  Hopefully your babe will be in your arms before you even need to think of a 40 week decision :)

AFM - I had a nice weekend with my friends to celebrate my b-day.  I turn 29 on Wednesday :)  Today I've been doing some interview prep just in case I get a call.  I'm so anxious waiting to hear!  

#115 of 1166 Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Ugh, ear infections sound horrible. I've never dealt with that with myself or the kids thankfully. Hope Greta feels better soon.

Also, awesome feedback from the parents about your classroom Mal! I'd want you to be Fiona's teacher if she went to school! :)

Fiona has been complaining that her vulva hurts when she pees. Sometimes to the point of crying so we took her in today to see if she has a UTI. no, but she does have a yeast infection. I didn't think little kids could get them. Poor girl. So we will treat that and hope it clears soon. 

#116 of 1166 Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I just got the call - I have an interview next Tuesday!!  Eek!  I'm so excited/nervous :P  

#117 of 1166 Old 03-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Woot Woot! lol.gif

#118 of 1166 Old 03-26-2012, 05:36 PM

biggrinbounce.gif  Yay for the interview!!

#119 of 1166 Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Everr: Yay!!! And Happy Birthday mama!! :-) I hope you get the job for your b-day.

Mal: Ow! Do they do anything about the ear drum? Sounds so painful! We never had an ear infection here either. Thankfully! And you are very lcuky to get summers off! That will be here so soon. Eeck!

Sue: A yeast infection? Poor thing! Those are so heinous. How do you treat it in a little one? I hope she feels better soon!

AFM: Makenna got croup, yet again on Friday. Thankfully we have the steroid medicine and didn't have to go to the ER. Still scary though! Every time she gets a stuffy nose it seems to go into croup. She got a cold on Friday and I just knew. I took out the medicine before she even went to bed - hoping it would ward it off. 

Cindy

#120 of 1166 Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Everr: Yay on the interview!! Good luck! And your weekend sounds great! DH and I were just talking about trying to go on a date next month and maybe letting Owyn have a sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa's. Not quite ready to be away from Greta overnight, but at least we can lay around in bed in the morning when it's just her!

Sue: Yuck on the yeast infection, poor girl!

Cindy: Yuck on the croup too! That poor thing, she is really prone to that huh? 

They just gave us drops for the ear with the burst ear drum. The doctor said it should heal, but we're supposed to get it checked on in a week to make sure it's healing.

Tags
Childhood

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page