February '09 Mamas ~ Childhood Chat :) - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mal our whole family had strep, my dh even had the scarlet fever face and body rash. The doc in emerge told him that 2/3 of people culture positive for it but most are just carriers. He was soooooo sick. I had it before him and managed to clear it without antibiotics but I wonder if I might have gotten better a lot faster if I had got some. 

Cindy that Y sounds fabulous

Starling sorry to hear about the nastiness on your trip.

Sue I'm terrified to get the celiac test for just that reason. Dee projectile vomits and doesn't eat when she has gluten. Can a toddler vomit and not eat for 3 weeks straight? I'm not so sure that's why I've never gotten her tested. I hope the test gives you answers. 

Courtney LIE DOWN!! kidding sort of seriously you need to rest my midwife (an older lovely german lady) would have taken a strip off you for doing all that. 

Erin love the tide pool easter egg hunt!

Ever is school done for you for the semester? I finished my last assignment today. 

Kate sending vibrating labour vibes your way. 

AFU: Not much new. Easter was low key my brother came to visit but I had a lot of homework and didn't get to visit much. We might take an impromptu road trip this weekend. I want to go to IKEA.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 AM

Nilla: My sister was just talking about being a carrier for strep. Her kids get it pretty frequently and she started to notice a pattern. She would get a little cold with a little bit of a sore throat, but the sore throat would get better throughout the day and never turn into anything bad. A couple of days later, strep throat would start making the rounds through her kids. So, the last time her daughter got it she brought it up with the doctor and they said it sounds very possible that she is just a carrier for strep. When I woke up with a sore throat on Easter, I was really hoping the same thing would happen for me, but I wasn't so lucky. 

My MIL is bothering me right now. She is a super healthy person. She used to be a personal trainer, she's currently a massage therapist out of her home. She also runs marathons and is very strict with her diet. I think it's all great that she's so healthy and able to run marathons well into her 50s. But everyone in their family obsesses over food. My FIL makes nonstop comments anytime she bakes cookies or a cake, and can be rather rude about it. I watch DH struggle with it. He grew up with them and has a very unhealthy relationship with food that involves binging and "cleansing" (not purging). It consumes his mind most of the time. My MIL has been trying to be helpful with Owyn ever since she started eating solids. She commented on giving her whole milk rather than reduced fat... when she was no more than 14 months old! I told her then that it was fine with me if she wanted to give her reduced fat at her house, but that I would be giving her whole milk at home. I explained how a baby's body and brain is growing much faster than ours, her metabolism is much faster than ours, and that she needs more fat and calories in her diet to support that. She constantly keeping a watchful eye on how many calories are in Owyn's food. A couple of times, Owyn has gone to their house eating a granola bar, so then my MIL goes out and buys the reduced fat, lower calorie, organic granola bars that she thinks Owyn should be eating and sends them home with DH. She noticed that I started buying gummy vitamins for Owyn to take, so she went out and bought the all-natural, no sugar vitamins that she thought Owyn she be taking. 

The thing is, I think Owyn eats a great variety of foods compared to most 3 year olds I know. She loves most fruits, she will eat most vegetables. She is almost always ready and willing to try new foods. She gets plenty of greens in her diet, plenty of protein and fiber. And, she's 3 year old and 28 lbs. She is, by no means, an overweight kid! If anything, her weight is low on the growth chart. I see absolutely no reason to restrict the fat and calories in her diet. It is more important to me to get a wide variety of foods into her diet, which she is pretty good about. DH isn't very helpful. He grew up with his mom and thinks she's right. I look at him and see a person with a very unhealthy relationship with food and I don't want that for Owyn. I don't want her to see all this pressure surrounding food. 

Anyway... not sure what I'm looking for here, but I just needed to rant.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Mal- that's seriously annoying. There are a lot of eating habits in my family that are not good and I have to work hard to keep them away from my daughters. From people obsessing about being overweight when they aren't to someone overweight insisting they eat all their food and trying to bribe them to eat healthy food by offering unhealthy food.

today I am mostly lying down..and playing on the computer right now. I am resisiting doing the dishes even though they are bugging me and ignoring the 4 loads of laundry that need to be folded.

oh and those melissa and doug reusable stickers are awesome! they are on the wish list at amazon.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Kate - Hang in there! L was 15 days late (not that I think yours will be so late), and it was agonizing, but on day 16, I had already forgotten all about it.

Courtney - Beautiful birth story. And good for finally resting!  You've been doing SO much for just having had a baby. The laundry will wait.

Mal - that does sound annoying about the food thing.  K is around 28 lbs as well, and it's SMALL for a 3 year old. I struggle sometimes with getting K to try new things and eat a variety of veggies and other foods, but I'd never in a million years worry about him having full fat food. I think it's better for all of us really, just in moderation. And obsessing about food is no good for anyone.

Everr - Hope the date goes well! And I hope you get your phone back.

Starling - Ouch.  What a time to be sick! 

Sue - That sounds so hard.  Hopefully you get answers soon, and F can go back to eating what's good for her. 

Speaking of diets, why is gluten so difficult for so many people these days?  I've never worried about it for my family, since no one seems to have any food issues of any sort, but it does seem awfully common now.  I don't think I knew a single gluten-sensitive kid when I was young - never even heard of it until adulthood.

Today was an absolutely gorgeously sunny day, and our weekly hike day. On clear nights, it freezes enough overnight that we can all just walk right over the top of the snow in the morning, and go wherever we like. I love spring (even if there is still 4 feet of snow on the ground).

Old 04-13-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I got my phone back!!!  Yay!!!  I'm so relieved :)

And, my date went well!  He's a lot of fun and I really like him, but, I have a small feeling he's the lifelong bachelor type.  Which is ok for now.  I'll just have some fun for a while ;)

And, I had my last day of class today!!  Just 6 exams to write and then I'm done for the summer!  

Mal - Oh that's frustrating.  I would get so annoyed.  I'm sorry you have to deal with that :(

Kate - Thinking of you!!! 

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 04-14-2012, 02:31 AM

Baby Mallory Jean born Fri 4/13/12 @ 5:01 p.m. via c-section. 1 cm uterine rupture, small bladder perforation, lost 1L of blood, but doing ok after 3 hrs of surgery to repair all. Worst luck ever, huh?!

Baby is huge. 9 lb. 13. oz., 21.5", 14 cm head. 3 entire lbs. more than Aubrey. Believe it or not, the entire thing was still better than last time. Will share more when i have better internet. So in love!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 AM

Welcome to the world baby girl!! Sounds like a rough go. I hope you are able to get lots of rest and recover quickly. And enjoy that big, beautiful baby!! Can't wait to see pics!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Baby Mallory!!!  Congratulations Kate!!!  I'm so happy for you :D  I'm sorry you had such a rough time and I hope the recovery is quick - *hugs*.  I can't wait to see pics of your sweet (big!) girl!!  Is Aubs excited??

Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Welcome to the world, MALLORY!

Congratulations, Kate!  I am so sorry to hear that you didn't get the birth you were hoping and aiming for, but I am thrilled that she is here and that you are on the mend.  I can't wait to see pictures of our newest baby!  And wow, three pounds bigger!  That's practically a whole other baby!  H was two pounds heavier.  I think that had a lot to do with my ending up with a c-section.  Rest up, be gentle with your body, and let everyone around you do your bidding while you snuggle in and get to know that precious baby girl!

And Ever ... I meant to come rave about you going on a date with Bus Man.  Have fun with it! 

Erin ... I think a lot of the gluten-sensitivity is a fad.  Just another bandwagon to get on, but one that makes sense for a lot of people, because gluten is pretty difficult to break down and digest, so lots of people just feel better when they're off of it.  As for celiac, that has been around for a while, but I think gets tested more often now, resulting in it being diagnosed more often.  When I first was diagnosed, there was nothing out there for alternatives, or what was available was gross and grossly overpriced.  What I like about this trend?  More options at restaurants and supermarkets!  Yay!

AFM: H is 18 lbs, 8 oz!  E was 17 pounds at one year!  H is almost SIX AND A HALF MONTHS OLD!  He's eating everything, and gets really irate when he has to wait if he sees someone else with food.  He's not taking much formula any more, but still nursing tonnes.  His poops are getting a bit dry though.  I wonder if I should offer him water?  He's sitting, rolling and wanting to be upright, standing with someone holding his hands.  E walked at ten months, so we'll see what he has in store for us soon!  H is super mellow and happy, which E was too, so I feel pretty lucky to be two-for-two on that front!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Everr: What? Your date was with bus guy????? 

Kate: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so sorry that you ended up with another c-section. Sounds like it was a scary ordeal. So glad you are ok! I'm wondering, did you rupture during labor and then end up with a c-section? Or did it happen during the section? Eeeck! Wow, your little girl is 50% bigger than Aubrey! So crazy! Rest up and heal and enjoy every wonderful second with your darling new daughter!!

AFM: I am beyond pissed at my DH right now. Won't get into details but I didn't sleep at all last night! I stayed in bed until 11, even though I still coulnd't sleep bc I was so mad. DH slept on the couch and M woke up at 7am so I made him deal with her. I'm sure he is feeling like sh*t today bc he didn't go to sleep on the couch until 2:30 and was really drunk. That made me a feel a tiny bit better. LOL. Going to be a long day - not sleeping while you're already worn out from being pregnant does NOT feel pleasant. 

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post

Everr: What? Your date was with bus guy????? 

Well, yes, but I'm not sure if it's the same one you're thinking about.. There was that one guy I met way back in early February and then found on fb and messaged.  I never heard from him.

But the following week I started chatting with a regular on the bus who lives in my town and commutes for work.  We've been chatting since then and at first I didn't think much of it but then I started crushing on him.  And finally last week he asked me out to dinner.  He's a pretty impressive guy, very talented and successful.  He's also 12 years old than me which so far doesn't seem to be an issue.. And then there's another dilemma:  I didn't know this guys last name until last week just before he asked me out.  Turns out, he has the same last name as the guy I messaged back in February.  And during our date I found out that he has a younger brother who lives in the city we commute to.  So I'm about 99% certain that these two guys are brothers.  And I'm so embarrassed about the guy I'm seeing finding out that I searched his brother up and asked him out months ago.  What are the chances of that???  I have such bad luck :/

Anyway, I'll deal with that later I guess :P

I'm really sorry about your fight with your dh.  I hope it all gets resolved quickly *hugs*

Starling - wow time flies!  I'm glad H is doing well!  I wouldn't worry about water right now.  He'll be fine with breastmilk :)

Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Everr- I'm not sure how I missed that you were going on a date, although I suspect the newborn is behind it, so glad it went well, and hey maybe the brother thing will just be an amusing story later on..although it could just be a coincidence too.

Starling- wow on the size difference in your kids...and the size difference in your kids Kate!

Cindy- sorry about the fight with your Hubs, those always suck.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Kate: love up on that new baby! I hope you recover quickly. I'm sorry things didn't go as planned Mama. Can't wait to see pictures of your two girls together! Does Mallory have red hair? :)

Everr: Yeah for a date. Crazy about the last names. Maybe it will make for a good love story! And awesome that you are so close to the end of term. Good luck on finals!

Cindy: I hate fights with DH- sounds like a big one. Hope you are both feeling better now and have things worked out.

Erin: I was going to say something similar to Starling about the gluten. I had never even heard of celiac before so I do think that testing more and doctors and patients being more aware of it accounts for some of it. We were shocked when we were down south and we asked about something on the menu being gluten free- "Oh would you like to see our gluten free menu?" Whoa! That was pretty cool for us Kodiak kids! :)

Starling: Fun to read a great report about H. Maeve is just shy of 15 pounds now. She is just beginning to get into food- still a little wobbly with her sitting so I haven't pushed it much. I couldn't resist offering a bit here and there though over the last few weeks. She digs it! I think breastmilk is all he needs but a little water wouldn't hurt either.

Fiona is still have a rough time but not quite so much as even a few days ago. I have to say- we are hoping she does have celiac's so that it would explain to us what is going on with her. If she doesn't then we are back to figuring it out. DH and I are working so hard with her (and finally on the same page!) and working hard on our whole families diet in hopes that it helps us all out. Yesterday I went to put Maeve down for a nap and fell asleep for 2 hours! I woke up to a happy Fiona and an uber clean house. It was pretty awesome. I didn't realize how exhausted I have become.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Kate - Congratulations and welcome Mallory!  Sounds like the birth must have had some scary moments. Friday the 13th luck? Glad you're both OK.  And that is an amazing size difference.  Lituya was 2lb 10oz more than Katmai at birth (at 9lb 14oz and 7lb 4oz), but you've got me beat!

Everr - glad it worked out.  And if he ever does find out, the brothers thing sounds more like a funny story than anything - you never actually went out with his brother.

Cindy - hope you two patch it up soon.

Starling - H does sound huge.  L is far far bigger than K was, at 22.5 pounds (15 months) K only outweighs her by 6 or 7 pounds.  I feel it when I'm cycling them both up the hill for sure (and when I'm carrying L on my back).  Neither one of my kids has consented to nap in a bed, and with our lifestyle, there's a lot of walking naps.  But my two are still more like 60th percentile vs 5th percentile, so I can't really complain.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Welcome Mallory!!!!  Sorry that your birth was not what you envisioned Kate but I'm glad that it was still better than your last one. Can't wait to see the pictures. 

Erin I think the gf is getting more exposure as the celebs get on the bandwagon. There has been some talk that says that GMO's may be behind the rise in celiac disease who knows? I think a lot of people suffered for many years without a diagnosis and now that there is more awareness we can get the diagnosis earlier and it tweaks Doc's to test for it. 

Starling My ds was a tank as well 24lbs by 7 months but then he levelled off and didn't gain for a long time especially after crawling and walking started and he was too busy to eat all the time. 

Ever Glad your date went well. Too funny about the brother story must be some kind of genetic attraction :p 

Cindy I hope your fight is all smoothed over and he has apologized. 

AFU we decided to make the trip down to Van to see friends and family and visit Ikea we are still here, going back Tuesday. I think it was a good choice it's nice and hot here and snowing in PG. Went to a friend's daughter's first birthday and had a lovely visit. My ds fell in love with a younger woman both of them said they were getting married. He's heartbroken he can't see her again anytime soon. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 04-15-2012, 07:32 PM

c6e4c33a-75a0-3394.jpg

This is the only decent photo i've managed to take on my phone, and no wi-fi in the hospital so no other access until i'm discharged, prob Tuesday b/c they're keeping a close eye on my bladder. But spirits are up; i'm enjoying my time with just Mallory before going home. I'm following along but its hard to respond on just a phone. Thank you all for the encouragement and sweet words, it means a ton to me. smile.gif

Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 PM

That is one beautiful, squishy new baby! Oh, how I wish I could come nom on my little namesake! (Yes, I am totally taking credit for the name!)

Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 PM

Hello Gorgeous Squishy Baby!!!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM

I said it on facebook and I'll say it again that baby is SO BEAUTIFUL, seriously an awesome looking kid.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM

She's beautiful.  I'm glad you're doing well, and hope you get to go home tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

AK - Just saw you won the cloth diaper contest!!!!  Woohoo!!!!

Kate - Gorgeous!  It looks like she has red hair just like her big sis :D

My first final is tomorrow and I'm in full study mode! 

Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM

woohoo Sue- good job on the win!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM

ooh cool! Thanks for the votes!

Good luck on finals!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 PM

Sue - congrats!

Everr - hope the final went well.

I've got a couple things we've been struggling with, behavior-wise, that I was hoping to bounce off you guys.

Food:  K is somewhat picky, which is totally normal.  He's also incredibly contrary about food.  No matter what's on offer (even if I know he likes several of the options), he whines, complains that he wants something else, tries to come up with bizarre specific requirements that don't match any food available "I want something raw but not crunchy and not juicy and not orange."  He'll refuse things he helped choose, or things he asked for 1 min before.  In group settings, no matter what I bring for our lunch, he'll refuse it and instead beg and whine for a friend's lunch, even if they clearly don't have enough to share.  (and it's not healthy food vs junk food, just something different than what I brought).  I sometimes wonder if he gets enough (vegetables and protein particularly), but mostly its the behavior that's driving me up the wall.

Getting Dressed/Ready:  K still does not know how to get a shirt or coat on or off.  Not because he's not coordinated, but because getting him dressed or undressed or ready to go anywhere takes so long as it is, I can't imagine adding any more coaxing/ordering/impatient pleading.  I want him to do more for himself, but we will literally NEVER get out the door if I wait for him (no matter how enticing the outing, he'd rather dawdle than get ready), so most of the time I just grab him and stuff him into all his clothes.  We are, without exception, always the last ones out of preschool. (L, on the other hand, loves to try and put on clothes so much I think she'll learn before he does.)  How do I teach basic self-help skills and still get where we're going?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Erin- sounds tough but here are some of my thoughts.  With food: It is our jobs as parents to provide healthy food at predictable times (breakfast, lunch dinner, snack, etc...). It is the kids job to decide if they will eat it and how much. That is what I aim for at our house at least. Somedays it seems she does reject everything- even favorites but I figure that if she is truly hungry she will let win over her stubborn strong will! Usually does. It's hard though when you know they are cranky because they just need to eat some stinking food and they refuse to do it! I think you just have to ride it out. 

Clothes: find some times when you really don't have to be somewhere at a given time and let him do it. Oh, I see you still need your sock- I will be outside while you take care of that. Oh what fun we are having outside! This bike riding is so awesome!! I can't wait for you to join us! OR...make it a race. Ready set go- can you get your shirt on before I do? Or before L does. Wow you are so quick! I can't believe it- my head got stuck but you were the fastest!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 PM

Food: I think it's a 3 year old thing to refuse whatever's offered even if you like it. My rule and it may seem harsh but if one of the kids is whining at the table about what is being served they get down and leave the kitchen until they can be pleasant at the table or at least silent. 

Clothes: I will carry a child to the car in their pjs and dress them wherever we arrive. I will also just leave the house and pack the car or get the stroller ready while waiting. Usually my kids if left there with nothing else to do and no one watching will just get dressed *usually*. Getting them to learn to do it I would make it a game of monster's eating their various extremities as they pushed them out. We also did the races. Also when they ask for anything other than breakfast in the morning I say "Sure when your dressed". Can you borrow an older kid to 'show' him how it's done. Make it a game of dress up or something that you challenge him and the older child too? Or borrow some dress up clothes to use for games/practice?

Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Those are tricky ones, Erin!

Food: I would encourage the folks he's 'begging' off of to politely let him know that they didn't bring food for sharing, and I would make sure that there is at least one thing in his snack that he'll like.  I pack the 'treat' foods (package granola bars, raisins, etc) in my bag so E doesn't go for those first, and I put the snack bag in E's backpack, for her to help herself to any time.  I put lots of good foods in her bag; apples, carrots, sandwich, seaweed, berries, tofu, cucumber, hardboiled eggs, meat, nuts, other fruits and let her eat whenever/whatever she chooses.

At home, I make sure she has at least one thing on her plate that she likes at each meal.  If she doesn't like what we're having, she can help herself to carrots, apples, toast with PB, etc that she can do herself.  She is expected to sit at the table with us for meal times, and she willingly tries new foods, which I'm happy about. 

Clothes:  If you feel done with dressing him, I'd let him go out of the house in his pajamas, until he's interested in putting his own clothes on himself.  And I'd bring a coat, so that if he gets cold, he can figure out how to put it on himself. On the other hand, I think it's okay that he's not dressing himself.  E's still not riding a balance bike.  They'll get there in their own time.

AFM:  Must dash.  My dear, dear friend is struggling with cancer, and I have her girls staying.  Got to get them organized to go see their mom. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 PM

Starling - I'm so sorry about your friend.

Thanks for all the tips, guys, I'll definitely be trying some of them out. Just putting my complaints in words seems to have spurred a temporary reprieve of sorts - he's been OK about food for the past couple days. Starling - I can't believe you have so much variety of food handy for snacks around at one time.  I'm lucky if I can manage a sandwich, orange, and a handful of nuts. I'm also impressed E can get herself toast. Our kitchen is rather child unfriendly, I guess.  Most stuff's out of reach, none of the bread is pre-sliced, the lid to the pb jar is much too big for kid hands, etc... I think I might need to make more regular snack times too - because he can whine about food literally any time of the day.

The clothes thing is more difficult. Leaving the house usually involves him walking down a bumpy slippery snowy trail for a couple hundred yards to the bike trailer, not something he can actually do with no boots or pants (which is often the state he'll stay in if I don't intervene). And I'm usually carrying L, so can't really carry him too. I'm not sure he has enough competitive spirit for the race thing, but it's worth a try. And Sue, that's a good idea to just go out into the yard to play without him sometime.

Starling - You're right, it is easy to expect kids this age to be able to do the same things, when they really have an even wider divergence of skills than they did as babies. K has a good friend whose speech I can barely understand, but draws complicated and detailed pictures of fish, oceans, and tidepool critters. K can't get his shirt off but spends his time climbing boulders and cliffs and is learning to read. They're all so different.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM

So do most of you guys' kids dress themselves?? Makenna can't do it on her own. Though I am going to work with her on it more. I mostly just do it. She can pull her undies and pants up and down when she pees but she puts her undies on wrong half the time if she is putting them on herself. I think she could manage pants but she hasn't figure out how to get a shirt on without some help. She is an expert at getting naked though! LOL!

We just had her cousins (age 2 and 4) here for 5 days. Her 4 yr old cousin (turning 4 in 2 weeks) can dress herself. We were talking about all the things Willa can do and what Makenna can do bc they are big girls - so I asked her if she wanted to work on dressing herself. She does. 

Starling: I'm so sorry about your friend! I hope she will be strong and healthy soon! I've always been impressed by E's willingness to eat a varied diet.

RE: FOOD: Every meal here is a bit of a negotiation. M still eats a super limited repetoire of foods. It's frustrating. But lately I have been holding my ground about her eating what she is served - mainly at dinner. And if she doesn't want it, she doesn't get anything else. If she is really hungry, she will eat it. I do try to balance giving her some of what she loves as well as some veggies, etc that she does eat. And often it is already something totally different than what DH and I are eating bc she definitely won't eat most meals I cook. So I definitely do not want to prepare a 3rd meal if she won't eat what she is given. And I am not taking any crap from kid #2 in the food department. I think I was too quick to make something else for Makenna for a long time and I wonder if she wouldn't be willing to eat more foods if I hadn't given in so easily. Oh please let this baby be a good eater. LOL. 

Kate: Been thinking of you. I hope you're feeling well and enjoying baby Mallory!

AFM: Nothing exciting here. Relatives just left after 5 days. It was a lot of fun having the cousins here! Also nice co-parenting with 2 other adults and splitting some of the duties for a few days (and having my husband home the whole time too). Makenna is a bit sick today. So we've just been laying low and resting after having run around every day. 

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 AM

Owyn does pretty well when it comes to dressing herself. She prefers to do herself if she can. She still gets her underwear on backwards or sideways at times, but she can tell that it's wrong and will keep trying until she either gets too frustrated with it or gets it right. Shirts she can do herself, but can't tell if it's backwards or not. If I tell her it's backwards, she'll turn it around. I've been buying shoes that she can put on by herself. The kind with velcro or flip flops. Last week, I bought her some Toms in her size. They are so cute on her and she absolutely loves them and she can put them on by herself, but I think they gave her a blister on the bottom of her foot. She kept insisting on wearing them even though she was limping all over the place from the blister!

I think playing dress up was the best practice for her. She is constantly changing her clothes during the day, so I guess being able to dress herself is a bit annoying as well. She leaves her clothes all over the floor in her room, gets into her dresser to find new things. She'll even pull a chair into her closet to get things off of hangers. I find her in a different outfit several times a day!

Tags
Childhood
User Tag List