Useful words coined by your kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

entriggered-- the state of being "triggered" to do something.  "That dinosaur video entriggered me to do that."

thanksed-- (alt. sp. "thanxed")-- used instead of "thanked".  "I thanksed Grandma for the stickers."

blubs-- (contrived from "lobes", as in "earlobes")-- the wobbly parts of your upper arms, calves, etc.  

may may-- (precise origin unknown)-- a toy or blanket etc. used for emotional support; lovey.

I know there was a recent thread about adorable words too cute to correct, but these words are specifically ones that have entered into the family lexicon.

I know we have more, and now I have a place to put them.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#2 of 22 Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cuddleish (Adj.) Good for cuddling. Ex: "Mama, you're so cuddleish.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#3 of 22 Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 PM

movehicle (n) - combination of mobile and vehicle (or possibly motorized + vehicle).  Includes all vehicles with an engine, ie.  "they loaded up the family and took their movehicle to the mall"  Handy when you don't know which movehicle a family has, and it doesn't matter which it is anyways. 

#4 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Numbocaine instead of novocaine.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 11:07 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

I've been collecting these on my blog for years. Here are some of our all-time favourites:

Tireturd.  n. A concretion of sand, dirt, salt and slush, sprayed up from the roadway while driving only to freeze into a disgusting icy brown chunk in the wheelwell of your vehicle. Prone to dropping off in carports and garages. Best kicked off if possible in roadside parking spaces rather than at home.

Gazinta bar. n. The symbol used in long division, comprised of a left-facing parenthesis shape and an elevated horizontal line. So-called because you use it to find out how many times 13 gazinta 4730.

Buttsloosh - n. (Etymology: a garbled mispronunciation of "boot slush," the grotty salty sandy stuff that ends up on the floor of the minivan in winter time) ... toilet water backsplash, or the messy results of a "backfiring powerflush"

Wobbits - n. The state of giddy weakness that occurs when one laughs too hard. Often leads to falling off chairs, or the inability to pick oneself up after a hilariously embarrassing physical misadventure. "I was trying to tell him to stay back, but I had really bad wobbits and so I couldn't talk or point or anything."

Tryish adj. trī-ish The state of being highly focused on an outcome and susceptible to potential frustration. "Okay, you've finished seven questions. Is that enough for today? You seem a little tryish." 

derived from ....

Cryish [krahy-ish] adj. Of a fragile emotional state characterized by episodes of sobbing initiated by trivial triggers, particularly when due to as-yet-undeclared developmental reorganization of psyche or intellect. "Can you guys be a little careful with Sophie today? It's one of those cryish weeks for her."

Nowishly [nou-ish-lee] adv. To enact something at the present moment, more or less, though with some wiggle-room to allow for inertia, procrastination or disorganization, or all three. "Yeah, I'm going to empty the dish-rack... nowishly."

Temish, v,. trans. To brandish the legs of a step-stool or sit-stool at someone in either a defensive or offensive manner. A surprisingly useful addition to the lexicon for us. "Ow, the cat is attacking my feet again!" "I can't help; I'm covered in bread dough. Temish her or something, for pete's sake."

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 PM

My faves are

Nestargled- (adj) The way your hands and feet look (wrinkled) after spending too much time in the tub. "Mommy, my hands are all nestargled."

Crojers- (n) wooden blocks

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#7 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

stunk=skunk

#8 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Sloopy - means tired in a droopy kind of way, often said with a bit of a whine and a request for food

"Mom, I'm so sloopy, can you get me a blanket and something to eat."

Rememberies - another word for memories

"I have such good rememberies of when I was little" said the five year old.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#9 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 PM

chubs - thighs I always tell the girls they have the cutest chubby thighs and apparently that means thighs are called chubs

obstruct livery vehicles

#10 of 22 Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM

crasswater = toilet water.

I sometimes tell my four year old not to be crass, which I define as having a potty mouth. He's made the leap that therefore, crasswater is the water inside the toilet.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#11 of 22 Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

hanitizer = sanitizer for you hands

#12 of 22 Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

the croaks = When your voice is hoarse and scratchy when you have a cold.  "Mommy, my throat hurts and I have the croaks."

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#13 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My daughter learned how to say sanitizer around the holidays so it is Santa-tizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

SweetSilver likes this.
#14 of 22 Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:

That's a popular word at the daycare where I work smile.gif

I cant think of any we use right now

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#15 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 AM

There are no escalators, that's not specific enough... we call them 'uppalators' and 'downalators'.

When you're on youtube, you sometimes need to 'bigganate it' so everyone can see.

When I have the baby in the colic hold, it's called 'playing the pukelele'.

She's outgrown it, but DD used to call woodpeckers 'knock-knock crows'... I loved that.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#16 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

I've been collecting these on my blog for years. Here are some of our all-time favourites:

Tireturd.  n. A concretion of sand, dirt, salt and slush, sprayed up from the roadway while driving only to freeze into a disgusting icy brown chunk in the wheelwell of your vehicle. Prone to dropping off in carports and garages. Best kicked off if possible in roadside parking spaces rather than at home.

Miranda

We call those snuds (shortened version of snow crud)

We have a few phrases that we use that aren't invented but they have a differend meaning in our family. .

My youngest son used to say that he was running around like a mitten (he misheard running around like an idiot). So now being a mitten/mittenish means being in a state of somewhat frantic disorganization, often combined with a touch of giddyness.

We call "Woodpecker" if someone is practising the fine art of bafflegab (ie talking confidently about something they don't know anything about.)

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#17 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM

my son calls construction workers "instruction workers"

#18 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Dunn-Dufault View Post

my son calls construction workers "instruction workers"

lol.gif And my son says "let's read the constructions so we know how it works"

Dd a couple years ago couldn't remember the kind of eggs she liked to eat and finally was like "oh yeah... zombie eggs! I want to make zombie eggs for lunch!"    zombie eggs = deviled eggs  And we've been calling them that ever since. orngbiggrin.gif

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#19 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 PM

When my daughter started learning about practical jokes, she started saying, "I joked you!"  We still say that whenever someone plays a joke on someone else.

#20 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:

my 5 year old says the exact same thing for hand sanitizer. How funny!

#21 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

She's outgrown it, but DD used to call woodpeckers 'knock-knock crows'... I loved that.

I love knock knock crows too. adorable!

#22 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM

One of my dds shocked a bachelor friend on our deck by excitedly yelling out to him that she saw a big pecker - woodpecker that is of course :D  my youngest keeps asking if we're going to apartment hill - took me a while to figure out she meant Parliament Hill. lol  makes me just want to love them up :)

Tags
Childhood , Children

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page