4.5 year old with bad breath in the morning, no cavities - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son who is 4.5 had a clean dental check up about a month ago, no cavities. However I noticed that he has been waking up with bad breath every morning! I brush his teeth twice a day. The smell goes away after I brush his teeth and he drinks something... He has no other health issues, other than he is a picky eater, he has food texture aversion/sensitivity and he gags easily on foods... He has no other complaints at this time, no earache, no sore throat. He is eating and drinking normally. Any ideas what could be the cause and what I can do? Thank you so much for your help! 

familybed2.gif, bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIF, mom to DS winky.gif 6 and DD 3 and a wife to DH for 12 years partners.gif  veganeat.gif,
#2 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well bad breath can be a sign of a sinus infection or cold, but OTOH everyone ends up with morning breath eventually regardless of dental health or other health.
#3 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 AM

My son is 3 and he has bad breath in the morning too.. I just assumed it was normal, everyone has bad breath in the morning!  Unless you mean it's worse than what would be considered normal morning breath?  

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#4 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 AM

shrug.gif Seems normal to me--that's why what your mouth smells like in the morning has it's own name "Morning Breath." 

If it didn't go away then I would consider that a problem.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 PM

When my ds was a baby, I remember someone posting that they loved the sweet smell of baby breath first thing in the morning, and I thought they were insane because my ds's breath has always smelled HORRIBLE in the morning!! Don't worry about it. It's normal.
#6 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Bad breath can mean teeth are growing, so it could probably happen just from a growth spurt, if the size/shape of his mouth is changing. 

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Tags
Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page