Is third grade just a really difficult time behavior-wise? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My third grader came home from school a few weeks ago with some really, really bad language--the S-word and the F-word with all its variations.  It finally subsided after a couple of weeks--like it just had to run its course, despite my many varied attempts to nip it in the bud---but he has still been expressing some intense negative emotions.

I remember when my oldest was in third grade, he also became negative, sullen, and argumentative. I even wrote a long post about it here and got a lot of good advice.  It culminated in our taking him out of school at the beginning of fourth grade. He's much more pleasant now.

Is this common in third-graders?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter has been much more emotional this year than she has in the past. She has actually gotten in trouble for outbursts at school bawling.gif (yelling at her teacher twice and then bursting into tears on a field trip). We were wondering if something is going on with her personally or if it is just the age.

#3 of 4 Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
It is a lot like toddler years in someways imo. My dd wants to make all decisions and she wants complete independence in many things but she is not ready for the level she wants. It is draining to patiently help her find the level of independence she can handle while dealing with the complaints and refusals that come with finding that balance. It is also hard to let go to some extent even though it is also exciting. I notice that the odd years are the years when the independence push comes up again and big developmental changes happen.
#4 of 4 Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

yup yup.

there's also a lot of drama on the playground.

my dd and her bf have been having so many issues which has gotten worse in 4th grade.

so yes it also carries on to 4th grade. cattiness is huge.

btw i think also its the age of conscience development and hormonal changes too. those two together make things 'lethal'. the first signs of puberty.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Tags
Childhood

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page