What toys to "keep" at grandma's house while I work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to start working next week.  The kids will be with my mother in law (yay...) for about 40 hours/wk.  Possibly more, possibly less, but give or take, 40hrs.  They're 2 and 4.  They have so many toys and I'm excited to be splitting things up.  Since they'd essentially be sleeping at home and going to grandma's during the day, I want to make sure they've still got their things.  They'd still be here when my DH is off, though.  Last time grandma just plopped them in front of the TV when she was tired.  We don't watch TV and they seem to occupy themselves just fine.  

It will be summer, so there will be outdoor play, but they have a slide, fisher price car, and picnic table there as outdoor staples, but I'd also bring along their bikes and some shovels and jars and baskets for outside play.

What should I take? Options are:

-Dollhouse and dollhouse things

-Train set with trains and tracks

-Play kitchen items (would bringing their kitchen over be a good idea?) Gma has the space...
-Blocks.. various types of tree blocks, just wooden blocks, lol.  Lincoln logs.. gosh, we have a lot of blocks...

-Wooden figures and farm animals, farm house.. they get hours and hours of play, I think they'd make great "rainy day" TV fillers!
-Cash register and play "money"
-"Sewing" things.. DD1 likes to "sew" things for her doll
-Books.. how many?  The kids have a bunch of books.. should I do like 5-10 a week and rotate them out?

The kids have a bunch of musical instruments over there.  They also have a bunch of crayons and coloring stuff there, but I plan on supplying grandma with a bunch of DD's favorite Dover coloring books and post-it notes.  

What are things that would be good to bring?  What's overkill?  I also plan on buying grandma some Little Bear DVDs for the girls to watch when need be.. I really am not comfortable with some of the things she puts on for them.. like spongebob eyesroll.gif so I figure if she's got videos to turn to things will work out better this time around.

Idk.. what do you guys do, if you have family watch your kids while you work?  

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)

Tags
Child
User Tag List