santa and tooth fairy and easter bunny and .... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

how many of your children believe because they want to? they know the truth but they they'd rather act they exist.

my dd falls in that category. she is VERY much into imaginative play - is into fairies and fantasy. her favourite book is fablehaven. she loves harry potter too and H.I.V.E.

you get the picture.

i have gently asked her what if they are not real i get the answer 'just because you dont 'see' them doesnt mean they dont exist.' 

so do you have kids like mine? 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alas, no. Both of my kids were eager not to believe.

Ds (10),  in particular, has a very skeptical mind. Once he learned the truth about Santa, he also decided that Jesus and pretty much all religion were also not true. He's an empiricist at heart. We go to church, but I don't think he really believes. It's OK, I'm an empiricist myself and have my doubts a lot.

Dd (7) is different. She has a great imagination and loves to pretend and to write imaginative stories. She spends much of her time in her own imaginative world. She's got a strong religious faith. But things that she can't control or that might do things unseen (Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, fairies, leprechauns, etc.) terrify her. She was incredibly relieved when she figured out the truth.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 4 Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 PM

We never pretended they were real.  We still "do" tooth fairy but it was never real.  

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#4 of 4 Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 AM

My daughter does this.  I never bring up any of these subjects, but she hears about Santa from her Grandma.  I have always told her that Santa is not real but that Grandma likes to pretend.  And now dd says that she wants to believe, too.  Whatever.  And the other day she told us about the tooth fairy, and dh and I asked her all these questions as though we'd never heard of this tooth fairy business, so that we could see what she believed.  She's old enough to know it's not true, but if she wants to pretend, I guess I can't stop her.  :)

She's is almost 6yo.

Lisa - dd 6-06

Tags
Child , Childhood , Children

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page