Major attitude... 7 year change or what!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-25-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm seriously losing it with my DD. She just turned 7 a few weeks ago, and her attitude SUCKS all the time. I mean, I really can't communicate with her at all anymore. Every time she says something to me or responds to something I say, it is with major attitude (read: eye rolling, disrespectful tone, groaning, etc). 

She's in a private Waldorf school (1st grade), and I've read a little bit about the 7 year change or "first adolescence"... I guess this is what it looks like?? I'm definitely willing to change my approach with her if need be, I just am at a loss for how to do it. 

Should I give her more responsibility around the house? More structured activities? Less? If anyone has BTDT, I'd be very grateful for some advice!

Swell Doula Service

Birth - Postpartum - Placenta Encapsulation 

nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slinggirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dd is 7 3/4 and yes, the attitude is a pain.

For our dd, things that help are: spending more one-on-one time with me, physical exercise, and a lot of repetition of the phrase "that sounded rude, try again." I ignore eye rolling (it doesn't bother me like it does other people), and will pretend I don't hear tone/remarks if she's actually doing what she's asked.

It's getting better, I will say, so I have some hope that 8 might be smoother. Then again, it might just be that spring is here and she's outside a lot more.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 3 Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ds is 7 and I have been sooo challenged by the attitude and also just not listening/responding to me.  I was reading something though about this being a tough moment for kids as far as establishing power/autonomy and there is a lot of insecurity about "who they are".  I have been following the recommendation of tons and tons of affirmation, you're a great person- I love how you are so good at____, thank you for being so kind, loving, generous etc

It has made a huge difference for us-  as long as I remember to keep up with it.

good luck!

Tags
Child , Childhood

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page