When kids hit your child. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

A kid older than dd scratched her in the park. This was the first time we were at this park so don't know this child. I am not sure which way to go. I checked that she did have two scratch marks on her chest. I didn't want to make a big deal of it but I didn't want dd to think that it's ok to let other kids hit her either. So, I told her to go tell the girl to not do that again. Dd didn't want to and I just asked her to not play with that kid. 

What do you do?

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 5 Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think you handled it fine. Kids sometimes get physical as they are testing their own boundaries and the boundaries of others. Just like you shouldnt force a child to apologize nor should you force your child to tell another not to do that. I think its fine to say not to play with that child, but at the same time - maybe it was an accident, or maybe it was just a case of the two kids working things out. I would certainly watch the two children interact, but I wouldnt say not to play with the offending child.

JMO :)

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#3 of 5 Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I used to do the same thing.  If I saw the child doing it or about to do it I would tell them to stop and prompt my dd to tell them she doesn't like them scratching/hitting/pushing.  Otherwise I would encourage her to use her words to tell them she didn't like what they did and to find another area to play in if the child keeps bothering her.  I would also watch more closely to see if something happened again and to make sure my dd wasn't doing something that was making a child retaliate against her physically.

#4 of 5 Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well, forgot to add that a friend who was with me who was introducing me to this new park said the kid is a little aggressive and some other moms there said something similar. That's why I asked dd to not play with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post

I think you handled it fine. Kids sometimes get physical as they are testing their own boundaries and the boundaries of others. Just like you shouldnt force a child to apologize nor should you force your child to tell another not to do that. I think its fine to say not to play with that child, but at the same time - maybe it was an accident, or maybe it was just a case of the two kids working things out. I would certainly watch the two children interact, but I wouldnt say not to play with the offending child.

JMO :)

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#5 of 5 Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Well, forgot to add that a friend who was with me who was introducing me to this new park said the kid is a little aggressive and some other moms there said something similar. That's why I asked dd to not play with her.

That makes sense then - and I probably would have done the same thing

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

Tags
Children

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page