I regret getting my daughters ears pierced :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-27-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She was two when we got her ears pierced. I deeply regret not letting her decide on her own at an older age... has anyone else here had this regret? :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 PM

if this helps at all, i am so glad my mom got my ears pierced as an infant.  when i was older i decided i wanted a 2nd piercing and i would still like it but it was just too uncomfortable to wear studs all the time so they wouldnt grow shut and so of course they grew shut.  and now i rarely wear earrings but i'm so glad that i still can whenever I want.

#3 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

That does make me feel better. I don't know why it just started bothering me. We have a new baby and I was thinking about ear piercing and when/if we would get hers pierced and I started feeling guilty. eyesroll.gif

#4 of 6 Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Unless your DD is unhappy about having pierced ears, try to let it go. It's fine to appreciate a new perspective or realize you would now make a different decision based on other criteria, but you'll make yourself crazy if you second guess yourself about things you can't really change.

Try to focus on going forward. It sounds like you want to respect her autonomy over her own body rather than making decisions for her. If you feel you've grown and learned, then there has been something positive that's come from the experience. 

#5 of 6 Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i had my ears pierced when i was a baby and it didnt bother me one bit that i didnt have a say.

to comply with mil's wishes i did not pierce dd's ears as a baby. well she begged and begged and begged until she got it.

in the whole realm of life - ear piercing is sooo small for both dd and me. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 6 Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Don't feel too bad, after all, you can't change it, so, not worth too much energy, IMHO.
That said, IME, she probably would have asked you shortly thereafter, anyway! My dd surprised me, at 4, by begging to have hers done. I complied, and, she's happily had hers pierced for a few years now.

Tags
Child , Childhood , Children

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page