Funny chapter books? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has specifically requested "funny" chapter books, and I'm having trouble finding them. As reference, he classifies the Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing series and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever as funny. He loves Dan Gutman (My Weird School and others), but they're so short that he'll read them in a single sitting. Not the worst thing ever, but it would be nice to have longer options.

Any suggestions? (He is finishing second grade but reads much higher -- Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, etc.)

thanks,

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#2 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 PM

My son has similar tastes and it was hard to find. Thank goodness for GoodReads and the Scholastic Book Wizard! They helped me get started in the genre and now our librarian keeps an eye open for books he would like.

Hits around here - Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, Diary of a Zombie Kid, Big Nate series, Vordak the Incomprehensible series, Stink, Captain Underpants series, Oog and Gluk series, Rotten School books, Secrets of a Lab Rat series, Sir Fartsalot. The reading levels are varied across the book and some can be read quickly while others take awhile...fits his moods so it works out well. If he will read books with female leads, there are a ton more - my son is in a 'girls have cooties' stage so he doesn't read any of those but my DD has some funny books that she really likes.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#3 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

ALBC, thanks! Some of those he's read, but not all. After a little Amazon sleuthing I also added Toad Rage and Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to NOT Reading to his list. He is fine with girl protagonists, so definitely add those titles if you have a chance!

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#4 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 04:11 AM

Harris and Me!!! I love that book, and so did my brothers. It's about a city kid who goes to live on a farm for a summer. Definitely pre-read it, to make sure you don't mind your son reading it, the humor is...can't think how to describe it...but it's awesome. I laughed the whole way through the book.
#5 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Harris and Me!!! I love that book, and so did my brothers. It's about a city kid who goes to live on a farm for a summer. Definitely pre-read it, to make sure you don't mind your son reading it, the humor is...can't think how to describe it...but it's awesome. I laughed the whole way through the book.

Another vote for Harris and Me. DS enjoyed it when he was that age. 

The Nose From Jupiter (first in a series) by Richard Scrimger - an alien invades a boy's nose 

The Bunnicula series by James Howe. - vampire bunny rabbit 

The Wayside School stories by Louis Sachar. 

The Muddle Earth series by Paul Stewart - it's a parody of the Lord of the Rings. I haven't read it, but both kids and DH loved it. I'm not sure about age-appropriate level and content etc., though, so pre-read. 

#6 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd thinks the Percy Jackson series is very funny in many parts. She also enjoyed Wayside School. She loves Shel Silverstein books but those are poems. Wilma Tenderfoot has a lot of humorous word play but it has a girl heroine. The Hoboken Chicken Emergency is also a favorite.
#7 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 13 Old 05-20-2012, 03:40 PM

My DD is the same grade and reading level as your DS and she loves humorous books too. She enjoyed Melvin Beederman, Superhero and the 7 sequels. She would giggle out loud when she was reading that series.

#9 of 13 Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 PM

Gordon Korman books, especially McDonald Hall series, Bugs Potter books, or No coins please. http://gordonkorman.com/

Also, pretty much anything by Daniel Pinkwater.  He's quirky- funny, tho, more than lol funny.  But, how can you go wrong with books like the Snarkout Boys and the Avacado of Death?

#10 of 13 Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 AM

My ds (9) has a similar reading taste.  I picked up a few of the titles recommended in this thread and he immediately loved The Wayside School books.  They had him laughing out loud so here's another vote for those.  Another series that he really enjoyed was And Then it Happened by M&L Wade.  I think there are 9 books in the series.  He also recently picked up my old Calvin and Hobbes books and he likes those too.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#11 of 13 Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 AM

Almost anything by Roald Dahl...Willy Wonka, Matilda, The Twits, etc.

I also really like Louis Sachar, he has several humorous books.  I really liked Holes.

Junie B Jones series is another one my kids like.

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#12 of 13 Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hank the Cowdog series.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#13 of 13 Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Funny/adventurous: The "How to Train Your Dragon" series, with Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III as the protagonist. 

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page