how fast can you get your 4.5 yr old ready in the morning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It takes DD 1 hour... 30 min to wake up and have b-fast and another 30 to get dressed, go to the toilet, wash her face and brush her teeth.

She is playing a lot and not really trying to get ready quickly... I have got DS to get ready too so I cant follow her around the whole morning.  She knows how to do most of the things herself with a little prep on my part (ie fixing her breakfast, laying out her clothes, etc) and I give her plenty of prompting and help her if she needs it.  Is this normal and how can i encourage her to be faster without yelling the whole time.  thanks.

#2 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 05:40 AM

Well, we do the getting dressed, toothbrushing first, then downstairs for breakfast.  I prefer having at least an hour or just over and it's all more relaxed.  Sometimes we've only got 40 minutes if anyone sleeps in to much and it really isn't enough time.  I do always try to get dd2 ready quickly (but all her stuff is in dd1's room, so I kinda nag at her the whole time until she's finally out of bed and on the way to the bathroom, which takes forever, of course eyesroll.gif).  

If your dd is playing a lot - are the toys lying out already or could they get rearranged so they're out of the way of stuff she needs to access in the morning (so not as much a distraction)?.  I think at least some kids just need that long period of transition, and without it everything's worse too. . . so allowing for it somewhat is good.  Hope you can figure out something, I understand the frustration.

#3 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh I remember it taking AGES at that age. It was horrible! You could try making a list, if she isn't reading yet with pictures of what she has to do, and then have her refer to the list. "Check your list and see if there's anything else you need to do." But it is an exercise in patience, and used to drive me crazy. They are distractible at that age. Good luck!
#4 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 AM

Actually, I think it's impressive that she can get ready by herself in an hour!
meemee and ghannit like this.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#5 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 AM

About 40 mins.  I wake up DD, we snuggle a few minutes, figure out what to have to breakfast.  She gets up, goes to the bathroom, picks clothes and gets dressed while I make breakfast (and her lunch).  She comes out and eats and I'll either eat with her or use that time to get myself dressed.  We brush hair and teeth, and she's pretty much set to go while I finish last minute stuff (clear bfast dishes or pack up bags). We both like to sleep as much as possible so getting moving quickly once we are up is key.   

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#6 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i think its a personality issue. dd is 9 and she is a slow riser (like me) and requires that much of time herself. part of it involves staring into space and just waking up. that is why she eats breakfast in the car. 

i was like your dd and my mom had the same struggles. 

what solved it for my mom was waking me up earlier and making sure i had the hour i needed. i do the same with dd even at the cost of sleep. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page