Would you send your 5 yo to school with a lil temperature? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Dd had an event at school she didn't want to miss. She had about 99.3 temp. She said yes and then a no and then a yes. So, I sent her thinking it might help her to get her mind off her being sick. I am not sure if I shud have let her rest and recuperate? She wasn't extra active but not too bad.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#2 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the absence of fever, I usually just go by if my daughter feels up to going or not. I don't send her with fever at least in part due to school rules. I don't think I'd consider 99.3 a fever. 

#3 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Abby, I feel much better now. How high does it have to be a fever? Is it 100?

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#4 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Thanks, Abby, I feel much better now. How high does it have to be a fever? Is it 100?

For her school, it's 100. I think the pediatrician considers 100.4 a fever which is a number I've seen often from other sources as well.

#5 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Our school's policy is anything over 100, keep them home for 24 hours.  I go by that. 

#6 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 AM

My DDs school considers above 100 a fever. 

I think for a kid who runs with 98.6 as their normal, 99.3 is a low-grade fever and nothing to worry about.  I would give my kid ibuprofen (since it is more likely to last the whole school day) and send them if they wanted to go. 

My DD1 and I both run cooler with my normal in the high 96s and her normal in the 97s so I would consider 99.3 a real fever and be more likely to keep my own kid home even though the school rules allow attendance. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#7 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I would still send my dd with that temperature.  The school does call if kids are too sick to participate so I only keep her home if she has something that goes along with the illness policy.  IME my employers have always responded more positively when the school calls me at work versus when I call in saying I have to stay home with my sick dd. 

#8 of 11 Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

I would still send my dd with that temperature.  The school does call if kids are too sick to participate so I only keep her home if she has something that goes along with the illness policy.  IME my employers have always responded more positively when the school calls me at work versus when I call in saying I have to stay home with my sick dd. 

That sucks.

As it is I feel like the schools are pushing us to go to doctors faster than we want. When earlier dd was let to recover 'naturally' now we feel pressured to take her because of being absent for too many days. If left to recover naturally, this is prior to school, she would refuse to let us help her body and she could go for 4-5 days with a flu. Now, we have to force her to drink soups and stuff to avoid going to a doctor and ending up with antibiotics.

#9 of 11 Old 05-26-2012, 06:08 PM

I'm a nurse and I would not consider 99.3 a fever at all. Your temp goes up and down a lot, crying or being upset, exercising, eating warm foods, a hot bath, anything like that can make it go up. I agree with other posters that 100.4 is considered a fever, although many schools set the bar at 100. In either case, 99.3 is not a fever and you should not feel even a little bit bad about letting her go to school, especially since she herself wanted to go. It would be different if the child was complaining about feeling horrible and you pushed her out the door.

As a school nurse I saw kids with MUCH higher temps than this sent to school. I even had one mom call me to tell me that little Junior had a temp of 101.5 that morning, and she gave him Tylenol, and would I please give him some more at lunchtime (!!!) Needless to say I educated her and sent him home. 

My district insists on doctor's notes for absences, and I think it's ridiculous. There is no need for a healthy child to see a doctor every time they get a little virus or something. In fact, one year there were a lot of kids getting a viral infection that was going around, and the doctor's offices actually started refusing to see the children! They said it was unnecessary, and they were right. A parent note ought to be sufficient, in my opinion.

#10 of 11 Old 05-26-2012, 10:55 PM

I agree, a parent note for a few days out occasionally should be fine.  This doctor stuff, maybe if we are talking about a kid who is at or near the max. allowed absences.  I am NOT going to run my son to a doctor for a stomach flu, even one that lasts more than one day, unless he is extremely lethargic---not talking, not moving, not drinking.  He is SEVEN and otherwise healthy.  WHY would I?  He rarely misses school.  He should not have to have a note.  If we are talking illness where they miss more than say 5 days for one illness, then yeah.  They probably should see a doc.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#11 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne447 View Post

I'm a nurse and I would not consider 99.3 a fever at all. Your temp goes up and down a lot, crying or being upset, exercising, eating warm foods, a hot bath, anything like that can make it go up. I agree with other posters that 100.4 is considered a fever, although many schools set the bar at 100. In either case, 99.3 is not a fever and you should not feel even a little bit bad about letting her go to school, especially since she herself wanted to go. It would be different if the child was complaining about feeling horrible and you pushed her out the door.

As a school nurse I saw kids with MUCH higher temps than this sent to school. I even had one mom call me to tell me that little Junior had a temp of 101.5 that morning, and she gave him Tylenol, and would I please give him some more at lunchtime (!!!) Needless to say I educated her and sent him home. 

My district insists on doctor's notes for absences, and I think it's ridiculous. There is no need for a healthy child to see a doctor every time they get a little virus or something. In fact, one year there were a lot of kids getting a viral infection that was going around, and the doctor's offices actually started refusing to see the children! They said it was unnecessary, and they were right. A parent note ought to be sufficient, in my opinion.

DD was absent for 3 days for my personal work, 2 of the days she refused to go which was at the beginning of school and was absent for the rest of the days for being sick. The school sent us a note early this year saying she was absent for x # of days. Since it's pre-k I didnt' know I shoud produce a doctor's note every time she saw a doctor and the fact is she had, many of those times that she was sick. After that, if she had a 100 deg which sometimes in her case lasts for  2 or more days we are v. stressed. At 100 I don't think it neccessary to take her to a doctor. But, if the 100 deg. temperature is going to last 2 or more days we are being pushed to go see a doctor. Looking back at 99.3 she was quite down. She wanted to go right back to sleep. But I got her interested in going and she agreed. I am going to keep her at home if it's a 100 or more but I am not sure if being absent for more days than acceptable without a doctor's note is going to go in her history.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page