holiday-themed books -- leave them on shelves year-round, or store with holdiday decorations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you leave your holiday-themed children's books (Halloween, Easter, Passover, Christmas, Hannukah, etc) on your kids' bookshelves year-round? Or do you put them away with each holiday's supplies"and bring them out at the "appropriate" time of year? Whatever your choice, tell me why, and if it's worked well for you. I argue this one in both directions inside my own head. :-)
#2 of 16 Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I store our winter books with our winter decorations and those are really the only seasonal books we have that I'm not interested in reading mid-summer or other random times of the year. My children are quite excited about the books when we open the boxes and I do enjoy seeing them after a ten or eleven month break.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#3 of 16 Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 AM

I agree with pp.  It makes them special and associated with that holiday more.  

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#4 of 16 Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

we have with our holiday decoration, same tote (Halloween, Easter, Valentine's day too) and we also have seasons- they come out on the equinox/solstice (ex. spring books on garden, summer books on hiking, winter books on skiing, etc) and go get backed away at the next, we have a birthday tote and we have a few birthday related books in there as well

general holiday books with more than one do stay out year round (ex. a Babar collection book as a Christmas story in it)

we like the change and look forward to the books- generally on the first of the month of the holiday the books come out with the decoration   

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 16 Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We leave all our books on our bookshelves but only read the holiday-themed books on the appropriate holidays. They are shelved separately, near our religious and cultural reference materials, and not amongst the "regular" storybooks or fiction.

I can understand the attraction in packing them up. It never occurred to me to do it. Possibly because most of our homes have had limited storage and packing up books would take up a fair amount of space. 

#6 of 16 Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM

Ours stay on the shelf.

I like to have them up there year round because when it's Christmas time here, it's summer.

surf.gif

We won't be doing much sitting 'by the fire' and reading during summer, but we sure as heck do a lot of that in winter (which is June/July/August here). We also watch Christmas movies in winter! My kids have my christmas gene and love everything Christmas all of the time, so we don't get tire of them easily. Our collection of 35 or so Christmas books makes up less than 10% of our full collection of childrens books, so they are easily lost in the crowd even when up there all year round.

This may sound odd but I also find that if we bring out everything Christmas for four short weeks in December, then it's like Christmas overdrive. The low (once everything is packed/taken down) that follows the high at the beginning (when everything is unpacked), can be just as strong. By having snippets of Christmas throughout the year, we're able to retain the Christmas joy without it going into overdrive.

Whatever you choose to do will be great anyway - Books rock!

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#7 of 16 Old 05-24-2012, 08:14 AM

I pack most away and only leave a couple favorites out. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 16 Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM

We pack ours away with the appropriate decorations (Christmas, Valentine's day, Easter, Halloween) and it is always a treat to have "special" books to read for the holiday.  Some of the books are for younger children and DD would never read them if they were always available.    And it is like getting new books!  Taking the boxes of decorations down for each holiday is always something we look forward to and enjoy, and the books add to that excitement.

We also pack away any holiday-themed coloring books she was given.  We have one Christmas coloring book that has been colored in for 4 years now, and we love to look at the progression of her artistic abilities!

#9 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 AM

I pack away the christmas themed books; 3 are tree decoration books and the others are stored else where. This is to help with an overflowing bookshelf - the themed books sit on the table over christmas. (We have one easter themed book that remains on the bookshelf all round).

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#10 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Ours are packed away in each holiday's box. It works nicely because then they are more special when we get them back out, and also frees up shelf space throughout the year which is a big deal in our tiny home.

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#11 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 AM

I say there's no harm in leaving them out all year round.

I can recall looking at Christmas books in the middle of summer when I was a child. Sometimes it's nice to think of what's coming up on the opposite end of the year!

#12 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

We leave ours out all year round.  I do defer on reading holiday stuff in the middle of the summer sometimes. LOL

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#13 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

We absolutely keep them on the shelf year round and the kids enjoy reading them year round. I can't imagine why someone would put them away.

#14 of 16 Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
They are on the bookshelves year-round but only get read in Dec., usually. I don't put them with the decorations because they're not decorations.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#15 of 16 Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 PM

I generally store them with the decorations so that they only come out for a bit every year. There are a few general seasonal books that don't get put away but get taken off the most used shelves.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#16 of 16 Old 07-02-2012, 06:47 PM

We have all books on bookshelves year-around, but our daughter (6.5 and 4) don't read them out of their particular season. I never gave thought about it before. We have even Christmas songs in car year-around and we do sing them and listen to.

Check out this book on kindle http://bit.ly/playsongs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page