7yo's attitude and silent treatments - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is soon to be 7yo.  She's been on this kick where she ignores me, talks to me disrespectfully and then isolates herself until some one comes and begs for her not to be mad anymore.  This usually occurs when she's not getting what she wants.  

Since I have a little temper and can be impatient I wind up lecturing her ear off and trying to force myself past my irritation and impatience to make peace with her.  It eventually "works out" - I think....  Also, I think to myself that I have to get past this grudge feeling whenever she acts out like this.  My mother would be mad at us for at least the whole day or longer whenever we'd do something wrong.  And she'd do the whole withholding love/affection type of punishment.  I don't want to be like that AT ALL.  And even though I make peace with my dd, I wonder if the way I'm doing it is helping since it seems as though she responds more to me in that way, even after we have our talks.  

Just this morning I woke up and she was running around the house doing something.  I sat down to the computer and it had been at least 10 minutes until she came to me and said "I WAS USING THE COMPUTER" in that whiny, self entitled tone.  I said that she wasn't here and I'm sitting here now and she can play with it later when I'm done.  Then she ran to her father to "tell on me". LOL  which is like a slap in the face to me because my husband and I aren't like that.  If anything, I have to referee my children and husband cuz he can be like a child himself. lol.gif  So, I thought, What does she think she's doing?  And because she did that, I told her no computer for the day now.  She got mad and closed herself in the bedroom.  Its been about 20 minutes maybe and she came out, playing like normal.  She ran past me not even knowing I was there and asked her father where I was.  And nothing after that.  So, now I wonder if I say something, let it go or some thing else entirely.  

PS. I have a 4.5mo ds that she gets along VERY well with.  But as we mother of multiples know, babies require a lot of attention.  I wonder if this may some how have something to do with that.  Any ideas?

#2 of 3 Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Did all this start after the birth of your second child?  May be she is having a really hard time adjusting.

I personally think it is a mistake to attempt to reason with an angry child and try to talk them into being happy and pleasant. It's a bit like negotiating with a terrorist -- it just makes things worse latter.

She feels how she feels, and creating space for negative feelings and teaching children appropriate ways of expressing them is a better long term strategy. It isn't our job to make our children happy. It is our job let them feel how they feel while teaching them the difference between feelings and actions.

Spending times in one's room when in a foul mood really isn't such a bad thing. shrug.gif

"Since I have a little temper and can be impatient."  For me, my own character flaws drive me bonkers in my children. I would prefer they be better people than me. orngbiggrin.gif  Thinking through what would be helpful for ME has some times helped me work on my own weaknesses while helping my children become the best versions of themselves (if that makes sense)

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 3 Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let it go. She's 7. She's found a way to calm herself down. That's a good thing. My 8 year old would have been standing next to me whining the entire time.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page