Fifth Disease? Anyone have experience? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 6-yr-old girl has a rash that looks very Fifth-ish: "slapped" cheeks, and a flat, blotchy rash over her arms that's moving down her body.  Weird thing is, though, she never had any cold symptoms before the rash appeared.  She did have diarrhea the other day, but she has some food sensitivities, so I didn't think much of it at the time.  I can't see how we would have missed a fever, even a low-grade one...

She feels fine, and the rash is not bothering her at all, so I really don't want to take her to the doc unless things get worse.  Anyone had a child with Fifth who didn't have the cold symptoms first?  I thought maybe rosacea, but the rash doesn't really look like it.

Thanks in advance!

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM

My first came down with Fifth's. I never took him to the doctor for it. (so I guess it was a self diagnosed fifth's disease). But it was vary apparent. I can't remember if he ever had any symptoms before he got the rash. If there were symptoms, they were very mild. I only really noticed the rash.

One thing to note, Fifth's disease can cause complications in pregnancy. If you or anyone your LO has been exposed to recently is pregnant, I'd let them know so they can mention it to their doctor.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:30 PM

I have a daycare in my home, and every few years, all the first graders get it, then the little kids get it from them.  We never notice any symptoms before the rash.  Occasionally one will feel kind of crummy for a few days before the rash.  

Old 06-30-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, my little one is now blowing her nose - wonder if she'll develop a rash in the next couple days....

Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking more and more that's what this is.  Good point about being around pregnant people - fortunately we haven't been, but they've certainly been around their babysitter - hope she doesn't come down with it, she's in a wedding this weekend and she'd probably be pretty bummed to have a big rash!

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

User Tag List