Hand sanitizer after using the bathroom - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Dd wants to use the hand sanitizer to clean her hands every time after using the bathroom. I have used it sometimes, in a hurry, after cleaning her. I have been encouraging her to go back to soap and water but generally she wants the easy way out since the sink is high and she always has to climb on her stool. I am not sure if this is ok?

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#2 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

My daughter LOVES hand sanitizer.  I have some that is essential oils and alcohol, which I let her use when we are out.  But when we are home, I have explained that when we have access to our own soap and water we should use that. :)

Most of the time it works. LOL

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hand sanitizer should be limited to times when you absolutely cannot access water and soap. First, it is an inferior cleaning agent. Soap and water are more effective. Second, it has been throughly proven that the widespread use of hand sanitzer helps breeds superbugs that make our antibiotics less effective. In this case, I suggest putting it away and not modeling the behavior.
lvvq likes this.
#4 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

neera this is totally a personal  personality thing. 

this could be about anything - not just hand sanitizer.

if i remember right your dd is 3 or 4. 

i will tell you what works for me. what i have discovered about dd and me. she has the personality that when she discovers something new, she would immerse herself in it, and then once she was over her needing to 'know' to 'discover' she was done. but that initial immersion is over the top. 

i discovered this about her as a baby, which is why i gave into things like tv, etc which others would frown about. she would watch tv for 7 hours and then be done for a month. 

now i did that otherwise if i said no, it would become a huge thing far bigger than it is meant to be. 

even today at almost 10 my extremely curious child immerses herself (of course now most of it is good - like researching for a project for school, where i have to tell her hey enough) and i recognize that is HER personality.

what i have decided my role is - is provide her the choices BUT NOT FORCE her into it. and i think its the tantalizing pull of those choices are what made her not be addicted (well her curiosity would get to her). 

so in your case i would not remove the hand sanitizer. i mean remember it IS fun. that coolness on your hand.  instead i would offer her other choices. like that foaming soap bottle. i would think two things - texture and smell. so i'd have a bar of VERY fragrant soap in the shape of some fun thing (or a hand made soap with a flower in it that you can see if not made in a nice shape). and a liquid soap that has a smell but has the picture of fishes or cartoony sea creatures on it. so when your dd wants to wash her hand she has the choice to use which one she wants. 

you'll be surprised how much they love the foaming kind. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 11 Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Hand sanitizer should be limited to times when you absolutely cannot access water and soap. First, it is an inferior cleaning agent. Soap and water are more effective. Second, it has been throughly proven that the widespread use of hand sanitzer helps breeds superbugs that make our antibiotics less effective. In this case, I suggest putting it away and not modeling the behavior.

Thanks.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#6 of 11 Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

^THIS should be written in large print on every bottle & dispenser of hand sanitizer. too many folks have it completely backwards

#7 of 11 Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, meemee, dd is 5. Yeah, I have noticed that when we ban things those are the things she wants the most e.g sugar!! :) She is not obsessed by hand sanitizer though, but she uses it because it is convenient. I am planning to explain to her what a pp said and not make it accessible.

#8 of 11 Old 07-03-2012, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd went through a hand Sanitizer phase and got out of it at this age. I wad fine with her using it because it made her independent in the bathroom and she did a better job with that than with washing with soap. I have heard there is a hand Sanitizer controversy, that hand Sanitizer is worse/better than soap, and that antibiotic resistance isn't a big deal because we are constantly finding new antibiotics that are viable and after that I just decided to do what worked for us because the science isn't there and it is mostly opinion at this point.
#9 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree a bit with everyone. Hand sanitizer isn't great stuff, so I would put it up. But this is probably about novelty and the sensory experience, so I'd probably replace it with cool smelling foamy soap or something shed like.
#10 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 09:07 AM

I agree - put the hand santizer away and insist on soap and water. If that's not 'fun' enough - get some fun soap - maybe a foaming kind, a fruit scented kid's soap?

Wife to the sweetest man in the world and Mama to 2 precious boys (7 and 9), and one little miracle girl (born June '13)

#11 of 11 Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 AM

My dd decided that she didn't like hand sanitizer because it just kills the germs and they stay on your hand. The idea of dead germs on her hands made her appreciate soap and water more. LOL! But my dd doesn't like to wash her hands after using the bathroom either. It's always a struggle. Makes me crazy. She will wash them routinely in a public bathroom or even at her grandparent's house. Not at home. smile.gif

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page