8 Year Old Asking for Stroller at Disney World - Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 89 Old 07-04-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter and I are spending some holiday time with family (my sister, and her 3 year old daughter). We've been at Disney World.

My sister's daughter walks sometimes and rides in the stroller at other times. It is a lot of walking.

Anyway, my daughter asked to ride in her cousin's stroller yesterday. I told her no, but I'm expecting she'll ask again today.

My sister told me that she's fine with it, but I don't know what to do.

Should I just let her ride in it if/when she wants a break from walking (assuming her cousin isn't using it)?

Also, if I do let her use it here and there, what sort of disincentive should I use so that she doesn't want to ride in it constantly? She was tired yesterday and slept well last night, but I don't want her just jumping in and out of it due to laziness.

#2 of 89 Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This is just my opinion, but Disneyworld is an overwhelming place, and very tiring! I always wish I had a stroller when I go there. I have a 7 year old and I would say that letting her ride for some of the time should be fine since your sister doesn't mind.

#3 of 89 Old 07-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would let her. You walk miles and miles there, MY feet hurt after a day at Disney.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 89 Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

i plan to get one for my 10 year old. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Should she have to follow the same rules as her cousin? The rule with her cousin is that if she rides in it then she gets buckled in, and stays there for at least 10 minutes to rest.

#6 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 04:28 AM

No, the rules aren't the same, she's not three.

Let her ride.  I don't see the big deal.  She may have to understand that the 3 year old may need to ride more than her but otherwise, the stroller still needs to be pushed around.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#7 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 04:30 AM

You know, something people do at Disney World that really isn't necessary is to make up a lot of rules that don't need to be there.  If your daughter wants to ride in a stroller, then let her.  The same goes for her cousin.  Don't make up a ten minute rule that does no good and only makes you mad if it isn't followed.  You're on vacation.  This may not be the last time your daughter goes to Disney World, and I don't know how close you live, but if you are like most people it might be her only childhood visit.  Letting her go without rules for a few days and run around the parks will not hurt her in the long run.  Have a great vacation, and try not to stress/over-think the little things.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#8 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

LOL  If an 8 (or 10!) year old is asking for a stroller, isn't that a sign that it's time to take a break?

#9 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 06:39 AM

My kids are pretty fit, and I would not let them ride in a stroller.  Somebody would have to push them.  I would probably suggest we go on back to the hotel for a while.  I do things for them that they can't do for themselves, but they can run / walk rings around me all day long.  I would think it would send a subliminal "little royalty with servants" message -- that's my kids.  

#10 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 AM

I would not let an 8-yo ride in a stroller, as that would be hard/heavy to push.  I would probably just rest or take a break for a little bit, find someplace air conditioned to rest.  Disney World in July honestly sounds miserable to me with the heat and the humidity.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#11 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM

good point pigpokey with pushing the stroller with an older kid in there. it gets really hard. 

does Disneyland have something to rent to push older kids a little easier in. 

i am not a big fan of disneyland. knowing my dd i KNOW she will be overwhelmed by everything since she wants to do everything. 'stroller' time will be downtime for her coz i dont know how many days i will be able to afford there. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#12 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Disney is expensive!!!! There's no way I would waste my money and leave the park as others have suggested when all your child needs is to rest for ten minutes here and there. As long as she isn't in it when the baby needs it what's the problem?

Sometimes I get tired and need to sit down just for a few minutes and take a rest. It's on a bench not a stroller but still. That doesn't make me spoiled or that I think I'm royalty ... it just means my feet hurt and I want to relax a minute.

My dd is five and I would get a stroller if I went and I know a friend with a 9 and 7 year old who brings a stroller to Disney. It's a huge and overwhelming place!

mama to three little ladies
#13 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Uh HECK NO!  I mean I wouldn't because 8 weighs a heck of a lot more than a toddler.  I'd just take a break unless you're actually okay with pushing her weight around.  I certainly wouldn't be. 

#14 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Would depend on the stroller to me. Some are made for up to 50 or more pounds and are very easy to push. If that were the case, then I see no problem with her taking a break. Disney is the only place where I'd let my dd take a break in a stroller. But if it were a real struggle to push her and we still wanted to stay a while, we'd go to The Hall of Presidents or someplace like that where there is a nice long show in the air conditioning and take a break. The heat makes a difference too. During our Sept. trip, it was hot, hot, hot, and we had to take a break right after lunch and go back to the hotel until around dinner time. In the winter, though, stroller breaks were great.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#15 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)

NEVER! my 4 year old would never desire to sit in one and no way would I push an able bodied older child- if that child needs a break - you sit it out. It's not some kind of race- there are plenty to do to have a break and go again. I think 3 is even pushing it- maybe since we never even used a stroller but by two my children wanted to walk on their own, if they were tired, they sat-relaxed and went again. I did Disney with a four year old that had no problem walking and had no desire for a stroller and we saw it all- it's called taking breaks. I am use to hiking with toddlers that do their own walking and I mean an all day hike- up and down hills.

By the way who is giving the parents of these two a break? Pushing around able non-disabled, non-toddler child is a heavy load-how is the parent to cope?

8 is way too old for my comfort level unless it is medical need

journeymom and rachelsmama like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#16 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM

My 7 year old fatigues very easily, but didn't need to borrow his sister's stroller when we went to WDW in the fall.  I just made sure to create an easy itinerary so that we weren't going back and forth across the park all day.  

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#17 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

8 is way too old for my comfort level unless it is medical need

I agree with this. I would just take breaks. Chances are everyone will need them, even the adults.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#18 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We just did Disneyland with our 7, 5, 5, and 3 yo... with out a stroller.

I am not one to tell others what works best for them, because there are a lot of variables in life.

But I will tell you why we opted out of the stroller and why our 7 yo wouldn't ever ride in it...

- It is heavy to push even a 3 yo and totally annoying to park, find and untangle from the mess of other strollers. We wanted to be free to roam and go with out something burdening us. Some times I find things burden us more than they serve us. So we left it at home, and were glad we did! Once we even left a stroller at a park because we found we could get around much faster/easier with out it. Haha!

- My kids have legs and feet and can use them, they have no special needs to make them need one and I think it does them a dis-service to not make them stronger and require what is appropriate for their age and ability level. We hike and walk often on steep trails and walk 1/4 mile at least 3-5 times a week during the summer. We think it is good for them, both physically and mentally. One aspect of fatigue or weakness is mental and overcoming difficulties.

- I saw lots of "big kids" (for us over the age of 5) who road in strollers, and while that isn't a bad thing in itself, it makes me sad because most of them had hand-held devices and were missing  the greater fun of looking around and enjoying the sights of Disneyland... I don't get why we have to dumb our kids up to keep them so happy??? It is sad. 

- Our 3 yo gets tired too, so we stop, take breaks and also while we wait in line we sit down. There is a TON of time to rest while you wait!

- If we do bring a stroller somewhere, I know my 7 year old would feel insulted to be told to sit in a stroller or pushed in it... I don't think she'd "go for that" if I told her she had to. 

- We view our mission and purpose as parents is to help grow our kids into adulthood and to think and care about others more than themselves. I think allowing an able-bodied 10 yo in a stroller (a child who will be a teen in 3 years time) is not preparing them for the world or perhaps allowing them to view the world as a place that is meant to serve them, which too is a really debilitating mindset. But that is totally 100% my "take" on life and parenting. One I know doesn't fit others views.

Just our reasoning.

And I DO know that others have reason for the methods they practice in their family.

I think "methods" are the negotiables of parenting.

"Principles" are things like "It is right to educate, feed and love" our kids. The non-negotiables.  

"Methods" are how we go about achieving the "principles"... and those vary from family to family.

Hope our thought process is helpful, if it isn't toss it out practice what is beneficial for you and your child. 

grouphug.gif

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#19 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Additionally, pushing older children around is really an American phenomenon.

If you even carry a child older than a baby in places like Africa you will get questions like, "Is there something wrong with his legs???"

Trust me, I know, it happened to me. :-D

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#20 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

It would literally cause me physical pain to push an able bodied 8 yr old in a stroller.  And if your perfectly healthy 8 yr old needs a break than everyone needs a break.  That's just how I see it.

#21 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcimama View Post

- My kids have legs and feet and can use them, they have no special needs to make them need one and I think it does them a dis-service to not make them stronger and require what is appropriate for their age and ability level. We hike and walk often on steep trails and walk 1/4 mile at least 3-5 times a week during the summer. We think it is good for them, both physically and mentally. One aspect of fatigue or weakness is mental and overcoming difficulties.

REALLY!!! so putting kids in strollers is not letting them use their legs and feet? perhaps you can go to disneyland for 2 or 3 days. for many that is not a choice. they maybe can swing it for a day or max two. in those cases strollers are totally worth it. and yes btw - with my experience in asia there are many kinds of transportation in which kids ride. and no one looks down upon a child not walking. however even there in rural areas - yeah they will wonder if a child doesnt walk. but disneyland and hiking are two different things and you cannot put them on the same footing. no way. 

- I saw lots of "big kids" (for us over the age of 5) who road in strollers, and while that isn't a bad thing in itself, it makes me sad because most of them had hand-held devices and were missing  the greater fun of looking around and enjoying the sights of Disneyland... I don't get why we have to dumb our kids up to keep them so happy??? It is sad. 

you know hand held devices are not ALL that evil as one makes it out to be. it CAN be evil but anytime you see a child holding it one should not assume we are dumbing our children down. honestly my dd using a hand held device or looking around in disneyland is the same thing. for me disneyland is one giant hand held device. for many kids that hand held device is a way of cutting out overstimulation. no they all should not be looking around just because they are in disneyland. for many just crowds are overwhelming.

- We view our mission and purpose as parents is to help grow our kids into adulthood and to think and care about others more than themselves. I think allowing an able-bodied 10 yo in a stroller (a child who will be a teen in 3 years time) is not preparing them for the world or perhaps allowing them to view the world as a place that is meant to serve them, which too is a really debilitating mindset. But that is totally 100% my "take" on life and parenting. One I know doesn't fit others views.

mama perhaps you didnt mean it that way but this whole paragraph comes across as extremely judgemental. according to you allowing able bodied kids to ride the stroller or hand held devices are the type of parents who DONT help their children to think and care about others more than themselves. 

do you know in many places in asia there are people carriers in the rural areas. they carry adults and children. 

i can totally accept that a child who can hike 10 miles can also be the child who needs a stroller in disneyland. and just coz they ask for a stroller doesnt mean they are spoilt. to me it is meeting their needs on a tight budget. 

#22 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Even a perfectly healthy 8 year old doesn't know where to go at Disney World.  They have no idea how long it is to walk between rides, lunch, rest points.  The parents have all of this information.  Try to imagine walking around as place as overwhelming as Disney World just following someone from place to place, without really knowing where you're going or what is coming next.  Exhausting.  I think it's kind to have a stroller for even older kids at such a place.  It's really not the same as pushing an 8 year old in a stroller on a walk to the park or some other familiar destination. 

#23 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

do you know in many places in asia there are people carriers in the rural areas. they carry adults and children. 

i can totally accept that a child who can hike 10 miles can also be the child who needs a stroller in disneyland. and just coz they ask for a stroller doesnt mean they are spoilt. to me it is meeting their needs on a tight budget. 

I agree.  I guess we should also judge the grownups who ride the monorail or railroad within the parks.  ;)

When I'm on vacation, especially when I'm spending as much money as Disney costs, I want my whole family to enjoy the experience.  If that means that my 7yo needs to spend a few minutes in my 3yo's stroller so he can regroup instead of melt down while we head to another attraction or back to the hotel, so be it.  It's no one else's business but my family's.

#24 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM

IF this is sooooooo difficult as so many seem to think, perhaps the children should not go until they are able to walk around. 

Many adults in the US now need motorized carts to get around because they no longer DO walk-some there is real need, others it comes from a life of not walking and eating and eating.

If Disney is over stimulation-again, why put the child in that place?  Really.....why would you do that?

And some how pushing an 8 years old is a "vacation" for the parents? I think not, unless you are going to hire a person to push your children for you.

Me-------I would make the 8 year old push the 3 year old around. If the 8 year old wines about it-IMO they really don't need to go.

journeymom likes this.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#25 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 PM

I would probably just rent a stroller for the 8 year old, unless the 3 year old's stroller is really designed for bigger kids too.  I bet the rentals are a bit sturdier.  I don't know, I've not been there.  But Disney can mean really long days for kids, and way more walking than they're used to.  Plus, it could be the novelty of being around a stroller again - my niece always wanted to be pushed around in my daughter's stroller, and they are 5.5 years apart in age, so she was really "too big" for a stroller, and "able-bodied" enough to walk, but it was more a novelty for her, I think.  But at Disney, it's got to be tired feet!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#26 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 PM

i think i would be ok with it, Ds2 is 7 and he's only about 43 lbs.  he's a very small guy and imagine after hours of walking he would get whiny and tired.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#27 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM

as for a stroller rental (at the parks) you need to meet the weight and height max and most average 8 year olds are 58lbs and go over the height allowance 

&

#28 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Rent a stroller to use as-needed while at Disney. I don't see the big deal. It's a lot of walking. Most 8 yo's would only ride occasionally, when tired. They want to be free to walk around and explore. I really doubt it's a being lazy or catered to thing.
Youngfrankenstein likes this.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#29 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Oh! You could just put him on your back in an Ergo when he gets tired.

lol.gif

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#30 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

IF this is sooooooo difficult as so many seem to think, perhaps the children should not go until they are able to walk around. 

Many adults in the US now need motorized carts to get around because they no longer DO walk-some there is real need, others it comes from a life of not walking and eating and eating.

If Disney is over stimulation-again, why put the child in that place?  Really.....why would you do that?

And some how pushing an 8 years old is a "vacation" for the parents? I think not, unless you are going to hire a person to push your children for you.

Me-------I would make the 8 year old push the 3 year old around. If the 8 year old wines about it-IMO they really don't need to go.

It must be nice to live in a world that is so black and white, but many of us do not.

My child is very active but fatigues easily.  He thoroughly enjoys Disney parks, and my husband and I thoroughly enjoy taking him.  According to you, we should forgo this experience in the off chance that he might want to take load off for a few minutes here and there?  Really?  Why would WE do that?

Do you honestly know any 8 year old who never whines?  Because I know a lot of kids who have sensory issues, are on the autism spectrum, have ADHD, etc.  I don't think that denying them a trip that they want and the family wants and can afford is realistic because there might be whining.

Tags
Strollers , Children , Travel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page