How many outfits for school-age kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to be more strategic about back-to-school shopping this year. I want to assess what the kids have, what fits, and what else they need BEFORE we shop. (I have a girly girl who likes mostly dresses/skirts, and an athletic boy. Also, we live in SoCal -- they won't wear pants until Halloween, probably, so that factors in as well.) This is school wardrobe only.

DD

Skirts -- 3

Short-sleeve dresses (and bike shorts for underneath) -- 5

Short-sleeve shirts -- 5

Shorts -- 3

Long-sleeve dresses (and leggings for underneath) -- 5

Long-sleeve shirts -- 5

Pants -- 5

Shoes -- 2 (sneakers and Mary Janes)

DS

Shorts -- 7

Short-sleeve shirts -- 7

Pants -- 7

Long-sleeve shirts -- 7

Shoes -- 2 (sneakers and Keens)

I think I normally buy WAY more than that. What do you think? Is this too little? I normally do laundry almost every day.

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#2 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM

I have a boy and we only started school last year.

And I think the amount of clothes that you have listed is perfect. It's pretty close to the amount of clothes that DS had at the beginning.

#3 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 05:04 PM

That sounds good to me.  All 3 of my kids have school uniforms and we have WAY too much!  On average, we need:

Pants-5

Shorts-6

Short sleeve shirts-8

Long sleeve undershirts-2

shoes-2 pairs

Jacket-2(one light and one heavier one).

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

#4 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 PM

I probably overbuy.  Lots of ways I've become crunchier, but clothes are a "thing" for me - always have been, always will be - my mom and dad are both clothes horses, as is my Nana....things didn't have to be super trendy or brand name expensive, but we like our clothes and we like variety.  Sooooo, that's where I'm coming from.  

I like them to have 2 weeks' worth of outfits (that includes school and play, we don't have uniforms), plus one "nice" outfit for the rare occasion (like once a season) we do something more important/fancy.  That 2 weeks' worth will include jeans, track pants, and a couple pair of khakis for DS, a couple dresses/skirts for DD.  I get 5 sets of PJs each, they wear those twice before washing.  Each has a sweat jacket, a slicker (it rains a lot here), a windbreaker, a fleece, and a midweight jacket (we are very warm people and do not need heavy winter jackets though it gets pretty cold here, we just layer the fleece under the midweight if we need to).  Each gets 1 pair of slip on sneakers, 1 pair of tie ons, and 1 pair of "fancy" shoes per season.  Then in winter they get a pair of hikers to muck around in, and snow boots to play outside.  In summer they'll each get a pair of sport sandals.   Winter they get  a snowsuit, summer they get 2 swimsuits.

When the seasons start to change, I'll take half the previous season's stuff away and bring out half the next season's stuff, for the temperature fluctuations.  We don't get into pants until almost October too, but then we hit full on winter until at least March.

At least I have a system now - I used to be worse than this, this is actually way better than I used to be say, 3 years ago.  Back then I was BAD, like....BAD.  So many clothes and shoes.  I guess the good part is that a bunch of my friends with younger kids get all the handmedowns!  innocent.gif

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#5 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMommaToo View Post

I'm trying to be more strategic about back-to-school shopping this year. I want to assess what the kids have, what fits, and what else they need BEFORE we shop. (I have a girly girl who likes mostly dresses/skirts, and an athletic boy. Also, we live in SoCal -- they won't wear pants until Halloween, probably, so that factors in as well.) This is school wardrobe only.

DD

Skirts -- 3

Short-sleeve dresses (and bike shorts for underneath) -- 5

Short-sleeve shirts -- 5

Shorts -- 3

Long-sleeve dresses (and leggings for underneath) -- 5

Long-sleeve shirts -- 5

Pants -- 5

Shoes -- 2 (sneakers and Mary Janes)

DS

Shorts -- 7

Short-sleeve shirts -- 7

Pants -- 7

Long-sleeve shirts -- 7

Shoes -- 2 (sneakers and Keens)

I think I normally buy WAY more than that. What do you think? Is this too little? I normally do laundry almost every day.

-e

So it sounds like in short-sleeve weather, the girl has 10 days worth, and the boy has 7? I think for the girl, that's probably fine, but for the boy, I think another 2 outfits per season would be ideal. That way you have a week plus a couple of extras. We always have to leave a set of clothes at school in case of mess or accidents. Plus if laundry gets delayed a day or two or they do something particularly messy. I aim for 9 or so outfits per season of everyday clothes, and 2 dressier ones. If they had to wear a dressy one on a casual day, they'd live, you know. That makes 8 plus one to leave at school; 7 days possible between washing. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#6 of 7 Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

to be very honest with you - since you do laundry every other day that sounds like a LOT of clothes for both your kids. that is almost two weeks of clothes for both your kids. 

if you have leggings why cant she wear skirts in winter.

dd has 5 outfits. which is enough for once a week laundry. however also this year when she starts school we will have to get her all new stuff as she has outgrown everything. 

but for the last few years we had more than 5 outfits since some of her dresses became tops for her. 

plus you are in SoCal where winter is not that stark. 

i am in mild winter area too. the only 'winter' clothes i get are a couple of leggings and a couple of sweat pants and a couple of long sleeve shirts. and jackets of course. but really i dont have a separate winter or summer outfit.

so this is what i will be getting dd - 3 dresses, 2 skirts, 3 tshirts, couple of leggings and a couple of long sleeves tshirt. the only reason i will get a couple of long sleeve shirts is coz they are not allowed to wear anything but school colours in the classroom. otherwise on short sleeves, sweat jackets would be more than enough for indoors.

however dd's tolerance of cold is very high. i rarely get her any winter clothes except jackets.  

honestly if i was doing laundry every other day, 3 days worth of clothes is all i need. esp. since dd grows out of them really fast i have always bought her the very minimum (also 'coz she refuses to wear school clothes at other times)

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 7 Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like 7-10 bottoms and 10-14 tops.

Even though I do laundry a lot, we travel enough that I often need 5-6 outfits.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page