DS being taught inappropriate behavior at day care - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A boy 1 year older than my DS, 6, is teaching my DS inappropriate behavior at summer day camp. the first incident was After seeing the movie 'BRAVE' where their was a scene of pants pulled down or something, which initiated 'the butt game' taking turns pulling down pants to show bottoms. Next incident pretending a sword is a penis and waving it around. I have and will again talk to the young councilors and supervisor, but in the meantime, help me choose wise words for my smart 6 YO. we talk to him about private parts, inappropriate behaivior, do not follow that example, to tell that boy it is not ok.

the worst part is, DS got a time out today for inappropriate touching, which I only learned from my DD.
#2 of 3 Old 07-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Banned

"Penises are private.  If you pretend that toy is a penis, I will put the toy in time-out." 

"We keep our pants on unless we are in the bathroom or somewhere private.  If you need to take your pants off, you need to go to the bathroom or your bedroom."

Six-year-olds aren't really good at understanding boundaries and privacy - and can really enjoy crossing those boundaries when they do understand.  Your son is a smart kid, but he's probably not thinking about peer pressure or good decision-making.  He's probably thinking that this never occurred to him before and the reactions and resulting drama are kind of exciting. 

It's sometimes simpler to articulate a rule than to get a child this age to grok a deeper principle.  If all of this is happening at camp, the counselors should be THRILLED to split the boys up.  I would invite them to look for ways to do that.  They could be in different groups, or always have a counselor in between them, or otherwise be encouraged to play apart.  

#3 of 3 Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. He loves to test the boundaries. when we tell him not to do something, it is a fun challenge to do it more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page