my beef with modern kid movies - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonjunio View Post
So, I would be interested to hear about more classic movies with a slower pace, it is harder to come by these days, it seems :-) I explained to DH my feeling that getting your kids used to contemporary media is not a milestone to be celebrated, the longer she's happy with just the mellow stuff, the better IMHO!

my stance is either just stay away from movies till you feel they are ready to handle them - say 4 or 5. do shorter shows. and theater OMG unless its a v. tame movie like curious george OR if you really know what freaks your child out. at that age i was still figuring out what freaked dd out. 

i dont remember details from mary poppins but take the movie Milo and Otis. pretty tame huh? but scenes from it - i think the stream scene freaked dd out. 

so there are elements that makes every movie scary. but you have to find out what freaks your child out. what might be tame for one might not be for someone else. 

the old woman in my neighbor totoro freaks another child out. she looks scary. 

another thing about movie theaters. sometimes its nothing to do with teh movies. its everything to do about the noise level in the theater which actually hurts a lot of kids. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#32 of 34 Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Computer animation is definitely an art form and takes hours and Hours to do. And even longer to do well! If by 'crap' etc you mean that you think it's not art because it doesn't require the skills of an artist (just speculating here) then that is a false assumption :) 

You can find terrible movies/shows from any era I think. Just be choosy and do what works for you family :)

One_Girl and Bokonon like this.
#33 of 34 Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM

I think the merchandising aspect is a bit excessive. My friend and I were also discussing that the toys for some movies don't really like up with the audience that the movie is intended for. For instance, Spiderman and batman are at least PG-13, but the toys are marketed to pre-schoolers?

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#34 of 34 Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM

While I totally agree that the merchandising is crazy, my preschooler loves Spiderman and Batman.  He's watched all of them.  My older two are into them too, but less into the merchandise unless it's something usable that they would have gotten anyway like a tshirt, water bottle, pencil bag, etc.  Not just cheap toys or something.

I even want something with Avengers on it, is that bad?  ;-)

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page