my beef with modern kid movies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've always hated modern kids movies (from early nineties on and some of the 80s). I've been struggling with the reasons WHY I hate these movies and I've finally figured out some of the reasons. One: They beat lessons to death. In older movies and shows when kids learned lessons it was a lot more subtle and not nearly as obvious. It just feels like a big scolding and its annoying to listen to. Two: movies are so much more fast paced then they used to be. There are way too many screen changes and things are too hectic for kids to process correctly. 3. They use cheap gags and humor to get kids hooked. 4. Movies used to be works of art. Now they are drawn very cheaply with no attention to detail. 5. Computer animation! Need I say more? Why are all kid movies made with computers nowadays! We need more variety. 6. The music is repetitve and annoying and no longer works of art. 7. The merchandise that goes along with all the new movies. I am sick of being bombarded with pixar crap on everything in the store. Do you agree/disagree?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i think you are looking at the world of movies through adult eyes.

the reason why that has changed so much is because research showed that that is what kids prefered. i think blues clues was the first show after sesame street that did a LOT of research and streamlined their shows based on that research. of course the movies picked that up.

but do i agree there are many inappropriate characters in movies for younger kids - absolutely. ex. why have a character like Hopper and his buddies in A Bugs Life - a G movie. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM

What about art?  Pixar is art.  You may or may not like it but it's certainly not "crap".  Way to paint with a broad brush.

Not everything in "the old days" was great....racist, sexists attitudes aren't my cup of tea.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#4 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't mean that Pixar was crap, I said the cheaply made hand drawn stuff was crap. Pixar and related computer stuff is just overdone and the stuff in stores is annoying and crappily made. You are right, not everything in the old days was great, but they edited most of it out of the movies that are on dvd. In my opinion, kids will prefer whatever you give them a lot of. If I'm a happier parent without those obnoxious shows/movies in my home then its worth avoiding it to me! Seriously I think some of it causes ADHD!

#5 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I couldn't agree more with the overdone comment but not just for Pixar. Everything is soooooo overdone and unnecessarily intense. I'm not against media in general but I will say we use it very sparingly due to not being able to find anything age appropriate. 

A pp stated you are seeing this through the eyes of an adult. Well, actually that is to be expected. I think it's pretty common knowledge that most children's movies are marketed to adults and have content added to make adults enjoy it so they will take their kids to see it. 

You have to admit that a lot of the jokes in these new movies are aimed at the adults and not the kids. It's pretty sad. 

mama to three little ladies
#6 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygirl View Post

You have to admit that a lot of the jokes in these new movies are aimed at the adults and not the kids. It's pretty sad. 

actually i dont find that pretty sad. i was grateful for it, coz i didnt want to sit through a 'what was boring to me' kids movie. i enjoyed ice age 1 along with my dd because i got the jokes that went over her head. 

but yes of course they go over the top like boobs for the penguins. and absolutely on the intensity. in almost all the kids movies. 

but kids are different too. dd loved spiderman at 3 1/2 (pg 13) but could not handle bugs life which was a G. 

so kids are so different too. 

i dont see anyone protesting either. i see kids in movie theaters for movies i would not have taken them to see. 

but then again there are 3 year olds who love coraline or those kinds of movies just like  Lemony Snicket when he was a kid. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I agree with the over-intense action and too-fast pacing, plus overly scary characters in G movies. I can't stand the need to always have a "dumb" character and a wise-cracking character. That drives me nuts.

Definitely check out Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki Japanese animation movies if you have not already. Interesting for kids and adults (some aspects of a few movies may be scary, depending on what your child is scared of), nicely paced, great animation, stories with something to think about.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#8 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

I agree with the over-intense action and too-fast pacing, plus overly scary characters in G movies. I can't stand the need to always have a "dumb" character and a wise-cracking character. That drives me nuts.

Definitely check out Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki Japanese animation movies if you have not already. Interesting for kids and adults (some aspects of a few movies may be scary, depending on what your child is scared of), nicely paced, great animation, stories with something to think about.

Yes exactly! The same characters over and over in every movie! I've seen the japanese movies, they are ok but don't hold my kids interest or mine. They are certainly better then a lot of the ones out there though!

#9 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 01:47 PM

Today's disney movies drive me nuts.  And the Mickey clubhouse that they show on tv... awful... Disney things are EVERYWHERE! Even t-shirts. Kids are walking advertisements for them. lol.

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#10 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

actually i dont find that pretty sad. i was grateful for it, coz i didnt want to sit through a 'what was boring to me' kids movie. i enjoyed ice age 1 along with my dd because i got the jokes that went over her head. 

Not to be argumentative but isn't sitting through a boring movie now and then for a couple of years when our kids are young a small price to pay for giving them a more enjoyable experience. I have plenty of time to watch things that are funny or entertaining or interesting to me. There are endless choices for me actually. I feel that children's movies should be just that ... for children.

#11 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM

You might enjoy "The Iron Giant" and "Ponyo" - both are favorites here for kids and adults.

#12 of 34 Old 07-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think modern movies are much more child friendly than movies old movies, there is less violence, more of a happy ending all around (rather than bad person dies) theme, and they are funny on many levels so kids can enjoy them at many stages of their life. My dd has several favorite movies that she has loved for years because she understands a new joke each time. I grew up on primarily 90's movies and I have many bad memories about older movies, cartoons and family movies, where people randomly die in very sad ways, I can't listen to Fantasia movies to this day because the movie freaked me out so much at a young age, so that definitely goes a long ways towards shaping my tastes. It seems like sadness and slow was the theme before the 90's and fast paced funny shows are in now. I don't think either way was bad but I definitely enjoy the happy movies more and I like having a movie night where nobody has to cry.
#13 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:

Not to be argumentative but isn't sitting through a boring movie now and then for a couple of years when our kids are young a small price to pay for giving them a more enjoyable experience. I have plenty of time to watch things that are funny or entertaining or interesting to me. There are endless choices for me actually. I feel that children's movies should be just that ... for children.

you mean on top of having to sit through boring shows, i have to sit through boring movies too. nope. not happening for me. 

i love the movie cars. there are days i have watched it all on my own because i wanted to. dd likes it too and it was a point of connection for both of us when dd was younger as we talked about the movie and we could genuinely discuss it. 

dunno. i think if we say - just for children we'll be surprised how much the children element ARE in there that we think it should not be there. things like repeatition, not too many characters on scene, moving the screen faster, etc. cheap gags and humor are exactly what children like. 

i dont mind computer animation, but i wish they'd add more detail like you said. 

i have to admit the old movies for kids were pretty terrible. 

#14 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I prefer the newer ones. I like strong women characters. I think Sherk wad a turn point in children's films and princess Fiona is awesome. Don't you remember what the female leads were like before that?

Meet the Robinson's is one of my all time favorit movies. I love the theme song - little wonders.

I agree, though, that the marketing of tie in merchandise is over the top and continuos to get worse.

I'm grateful for decently written children's movies. My 14 & 15 year were re-watching Mulan the other day. They still like it.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#15 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 AM

I just recently nixed Dumbo from our watch list...I guess I never realized that they got drunk and basically hallucinate pink elephants marching!
#16 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 AM

I saw a bugs bunny cartoon as an adult several years ago. I burst out laughing because of a few things kids would not see. Such as Bugs was reading a Book- "How to multipy" and as a 10 yr old I would have saw that as a math book. As an adult, a rabbit reading about multiplying......LOL

I hate the sit com type shows aimed at my daughters on Nick/Disney etc. The kids are real smart asses and when they behave like that, they get the canned Laughter. So its being rewarded. I can always tell when my kids have watched it because we deal with that type of sassieness for a few days. Its usually after a visit to my brother's house since they watch enough tv in a day to equal a month at our house. Love them, but they have literally 5 areas in their house to watch tv.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#17 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 AM

The constant merchandizing of characters bugs me, but as far as movies themselves, I feel there is a greater variety out there now that didn't exist when I was a kid.  With that greater variety comes a lot of bad, but a lot of good stuff too.  I was a child in the 60s and it was a rare event to go to a movie that was geared toward kids.  Every few years something would come out like a Disney animation or movies like the Herbie.  They were good, but sparse. 

I think the same high-quality/low-quality argument can be made about childrens' books.  There is so much low-end crap out there, but there are so many great books too.  I think it becomes a process of careful selection and knowing where to look.  My DH is a librarian and has access to a lot of films, which has helped us greatly and perhaps gives me a different point of view as to the huge variety out there. 

I guess what I have to keep in mind is that there have always been low-end crap movies out there.  The old classics that are still around today are here because they were the gems of their time, not because they were the only type of film being made.  The good stuff survives and the crappola is forgotten and lost. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#18 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigellas View Post

You might enjoy "The Iron Giant" and "Ponyo" - both are favorites here for kids and adults.

Ponyo is very scary and intense.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#19 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM

I find children movies disney, pixar's etc have become very dark, cruel and violent over time. 

Look at the Toy Story series, if anyone has seen it.

1st one...Sid is mean, but they get em! nothing dark besides that

2nd one....the whole movie is arguing and fighting, you literally see buzz get punched in the face by another toy 

3rd one.....they escape a jail like daycare centre with a evil teddy bear

Then theres a movie like the Shrek series

1st one.... dragon, but she falls in love with donkey in a short time, angry king, but hes 4 foot nothing, not very scary

2nd one.....godmother is evil, father tries to kill shrek 

3rd one....jealous prince tries to kill shrek and take over, negative negative

the 4th one! oh my a evil rumpelstilskin takes away everything shrek had, his wife has no idea who he is and he is trying to get back his family....what a beautiful fairy tale message 

and Cars!

the first one was great, no violence

the 2nd one?? its all violence!

We screen what our little guy can see and their just so cruel and negative, i dont understand.

Now movies from the 90's I cant say are bad....young mama here who grew up in the 90's! shy.giflol

They werent fantastic, I mean Scar from Lion King killed Simba's father, Little foot's mother was killed in land before time, etc. etc. 

I cant stand the computer generated poop they make, what happened to hand drawn illustrations? And why should children's movies include violence? Or at least make conflicts between man and nature, not man against man 

This issue has had me brewing too! hopmad.gif

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#20 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM

This thread reminds me of a book review I read in the New Yorker this past week (reviewer was reviewing a book on the history of the Grimm brothers and their tales).  It is interesting to me how the original tales have been watered down considerably over the years.  Some of the original tales were incredibly violent.  Most did not have happy endings.  Children were often victims and were treated horribly by adults.  Obedience, authority, etc. were the central themes.  I remember reading the original Grimm Cinderella when I was a kid and I was devasted by the image of the stepsisters cutting off their toes so their feet would fit into the glass slipper.  That's pretty intense stuff. 

Other examples of kid against the world stories are the Shirley Temple movies.  Kid doesn't have mother, dad is often absent or is injured or killed in war, child is left to fend for herself against evil society.  Violence and adversity has always been a component of storytelling.  It is nothing new.  In our eyes it may appear less violent than now but there was a lot of dark stuff depicted in the old days.

Edited to add:  I believe that computer animation is a perfectly legitimate form of art.  And I say this as an artist.  Hand drawn animation produces a beautiful image but computer animation and hand drawn stills are two completely different mediums and I can't really say that one is better than the other, they are just...different.  There is good computer animation just like there is good hand-drawn animation, and vice versa.  To me, it essentially comes down to good art vs. bad art, not good mediums vs. bad mediums. 

#21 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM

I second the Studio Ghibli/ Miyazaki recommendation.  Those films are more slowly-paced and thoughtful.  They are also mostly hand-drawn.

Parts of "The Secret Life of Arrietty" scared my 4YO daughter, so as usual, not all their films are appropriate for all children. 

#22 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

I think the best kids' movies are the ones that are entertaining, but also lead to meaningful converstions, and that the ones that most adults find boring rarely do that, whereas the movies that are a bit more complex, and maybe even a little scary do.

eta: I third the Miyazaki reccomendation, some of his movies are just awesome!

#23 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhippie View Post

I find children movies disney, pixar's etc have become very dark, cruel and violent over time. 

Look at the Toy Story series, if anyone has seen it.

1st one...Sid is mean, but they get em! nothing dark besides that

2nd one....the whole movie is arguing and fighting, you literally see buzz get punched in the face by another toy 

3rd one.....they escape a jail like daycare centre with a evil teddy bear

Then theres a movie like the Shrek series

1st one.... dragon, but she falls in love with donkey in a short time, angry king, but hes 4 foot nothing, not very scary

2nd one.....godmother is evil, father tries to kill shrek 

3rd one....jealous prince tries to kill shrek and take over, negative negative

the 4th one! oh my a evil rumpelstilskin takes away everything shrek had, his wife has no idea who he is and he is trying to get back his family....what a beautiful fairy tale message 

and Cars!

the first one was great, no violence

the 2nd one?? its all violence!

We screen what our little guy can see and their just so cruel and negative, i dont understand.

Now movies from the 90's I cant say are bad....young mama here who grew up in the 90's! shy.giflol

They werent fantastic, I mean Scar from Lion King killed Simba's father, Little foot's mother was killed in land before time, etc. etc. 

I cant stand the computer generated poop they make, what happened to hand drawn illustrations? And why should children's movies include violence? Or at least make conflicts between man and nature, not man against man 

This issue has had me brewing too! hopmad.gif

They haven't gotten violent over time...they've always BEEN dark, cruel, and violent, as were the stories they were based on.  The first Disney animated film was Snow White.  The wicked queen sent men out to capture Snow White and bring back HER HEART!  

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#24 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:

We have to do the same thing. It's so frustrating. Also, I don't understand why there don't seem to be levels of children's movies anymore. It's impossible to find a gentle non-violent movie to bring toddlers through early school year aged children to. I was so happy when Winnie the Pooh came out a year or two ago. It was the only movie I've been able to take my little one to in theatre so far. 

I'm not for censoring but I do think there should be options for those who don't want such violence and intensity in their media for their kids. 

#25 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM

Okay, am I a jerk or I am the only one who feels that there are options in life...options in "modern" times?  Am I missing something here or are DH and I weirdos?  We've built a massive collection of videos/DVDs based on our values, interests, likes and I'm not getting the "world is coming to an end" attitude about films or filmmaking.  Move beyond Loews, Amazon, Blockbuster video.  They cater to the contingent who will make them the most money (i.e. the lowest common denominator).  Has always been like this.  Will always be like this.  Be creative, do your research, find stuff that comports with your values and ideals.  It's a huge world.  There's a lot of stuff out there.  Stop looking to the status quo for your entertainment.  There's a lot of good stuff out there.  Holy cow, how many times do I have to say this on this thread?  

I say this with love and affection.  But, again, probably just talking to a wall.  Something I feel a lot at MDC.  Sheepish.gif

#26 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 PM

We like all sorts of movies.  My kids love the Disney and Pixar.  They also love things like Mary Poppins and Pippy Longstocking.  We have a lot of variety and enjoy all of it!

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#27 of 34 Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 PM

My kids like Totoro. It is the complete opposite of scary and intense. mykidslove action, but even though totoro is not like thqt at all it still holds their interest. they like the cat bus.

I suspect if you watch some old movies you thought were great as a child, with adult eyes, they will look a lot less pure! Old movies are fully of inuendo, violence too. Just think of the old bat man show (1960's), my kids like it, somone is always about to be cut in half with a saw or some other violent death. Wiley coyote wasn't exactly nice to the roadrunner.

#28 of 34 Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:

i dont think so. children's stuff has always been dark. i mean look at all the Mother Goose poems mostly about death. And as pp pointed out Grimms Fairy tales are pretty grim.

i think the only difference between 'then' and now is technology. and that technology really messes with our emotions. esp. kids. reading about a mother crying and watching a mother crying on the screen are two very different experiences. 

almost any movie has the potential to scare a child. so really the point is should we not stick to shows for our under 5 year olds because no matter what the visual medium magnifies stuff for our kids. so it would be better to stick to blues clues or dora the explorer.

as a child i hated tom and jerry cartoons  i always felt it was unfair. same with tweety bird.

#29 of 34 Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Are you interested only in theater movies or also home viewing options?

Animated is not the only option. Angels in the Outfield, Mary Poppins, one about getting an elephant to a village in Veitman (I forget the name), so many to choose from.
#30 of 34 Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Which old films specifically would anyone recommend as being superior in content/quality?

I already had a Disney collection before having kids, as well as some other great ones like The Iron Giant, Dark Crystal, Last Unicorn, Secret of Nimh etc (I was a professional animator so certainly a fan of the art form!) However I find the content is not suitable for my soon-to-be 4 year old. They are just too intense in parts.

I also have what I consider to be the best Pixar movies - I think their animation in particular is incredible, but as 2D artist of course I love that format best. Again though, the problem is content. Too scary. My husband showed her Toy Story, which is borderline but seemed to be a bit much for her still (based on her reaction). She was rapt and yet made squealy almost-scared sounds during any chase scenes. Just too fast-paced, like virtually all children's programming.

Movies we do enjoy are select Miyazaki films, her favorite is Whisper of the Heart. The Little Travelers is great, a documentary series about two sisters traveling to several different countries. She also does yoga kids videos. I've looked into nature videos but most are a bit too "red in tooth and nail" for now...

So, I would be interested to hear about more classic movies with a slower pace, it is harder to come by these days, it seems :-) I explained to DH my feeling that getting your kids used to contemporary media is not a milestone to be celebrated, the longer she's happy with just the mellow stuff, the better IMHO!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page