hyper vigilant about items - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We all have things we don't want our kids to have, whether its certain toys, games, books, music etc Usually we have good reasons for why we don't allow certain things. But do you ever get carried away and get rid of things solely because of their appearance? If something looks tacky, cheap or just plain ugly do you find a way to just get rid of it for your own sanity regardless of how your kid loves it or plays with it? 

#2 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Not so much.  If they are actually playing with it, andi it's not one of those things that just aren't allowed, I usually leave it.  Now if there is a toy that no one has touched in 6 months, that I know the wouldn't notice if it was gone, but they'd throw a fit if I got rid of it, I'll get rid of it on the sly.  winky.gif

#3 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Unless they are causing a problem like excessive mess or noise or are dangerous I try to leave it alone. The kids have to learn how to make their own judgement about the quality of things at some point.

There are a few things that are just forbidden like Bratz dolls and Barbies though ... 

mama to three little ladies
#4 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 PM

I try not to let my personal idea of value control what my kids like or don't like.  I talk to them a ton about my ideas, but if they have a toy that I don't like that gets used a lot then that's fine by me.  If it's loud I will ask them to stay in their own room with it.

They think some of my "toys" are stupid or ugly or pointless but I get to keep mine. ;-)

Limits on what we bring in the house are set though, just not on something as transient as whether or not I find it attractive.  Like - can we afford it?  Do we have a place for it? Will it get used?  Sometimes that leads to - How can I raise money for this? what should I get rid of to make space? etc.

HTH.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#5 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 01:38 PM

Not now that they are old enough to notice and/or voice an opinion.... but if it gets left around and unused for awhile, i'll move it to my closet or the barn and then after awhile if it seems to have been forgotten, i will get rid of it. But not if it is an active favorite toy.

#6 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 04:45 PM

I HATE anything Spongebob... by now most people know not to give my kids SBSP merchandise. 

I have a habit of throwing away or donating toys as soon as they break. We have a ton of toys as is, no need for junk. 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page