recommendations for kids picture books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I prefer old fashioned books like little golden books and ones that are illustrated by the likes of eloise wilkin, gyo fujikawa etc. What other picture books are out there similar to this style? (Also love old fashioned books of poems, rhymes and fairy tales)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Kate Greenaway - lovely old-fashioned illustrations. 

#3 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM

A few other suggestions: 

Tasha Tudor

Elsa Beskow. 

Gerda Muller

Jan Brett

Kim Lewis 

Allan and Janet Ahlberg (The Jolly Postman is a fun book for little ones) 

Barbara Cooney (Miss Rumphius

You may also want to look at lists like Caldecott Medal winners. They won't all suit your tastes since many have more "modern" artwork, but you'll find some excellent books.

#4 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Forgive the serial posting, but I wanted to add a gentle reminder and I forgot before I hit submit. You may find that your child has very different taste than you in terms of artwork and story. My kids often surprised me. DS avidly admired Curious George - and I don't. I find the artwork garish, the stories frustrating and I think all monkeys are creepy. Yet I read those books countless times because he loved them.

If you have a good library nearby, it is a great place to try out a bunch of different picture books to find some favourites to buy. 

#5 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yes if it were up to my daughter she would only want those horribly written awfully illustrated barbie fairytopia books and the disney stories about the movies. I don't feel guilty for not allowing garish books in the house. We have to put our foot down somewhere. She used to have a lot of books that I hated. They had no substance and were extremely annoying to read. I dreaded reading time and that made me sad because I love reading to my girls. And she would only pick the horrible ones out! So I got rid of them. And now story time is wonderful. And she isn't complaining. Kudos to you being able to put your kids wishes above your own. We had a curious george book at one time and I agree that it was awful. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm checking them out now!

#6 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Cynthia Rylant
Gail Gibbons

Jane Moncure (Magic Castle Readers)

Margaret Wise Brown (The Important Book)
Alexandra Day (Carl books -- wordless)
Tomie dePaola

Mitsumasa Anno

These are all favorites of ours.

#7 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 AM

There are some absolutely wonderful children's books available and i echo the mom who said she got rid of the ones that she didn't want to read... that's for your own sanity! (I finally told my youngest that I 'lost' her New version of Snow White because of hated it so much!!!)

but I wanted to add Eric Carle to the list - Very Hungry Caterpillar is a big fav of mine.

Tomie dePaola has cute drawing and stories.

Also the "If you give a mouse a cookie" books

and

the suggestion for looking at past Caldecott winners is excellent.

I was in the bookstore business and although we did not like every single winner, they are an excellent source to look through and expose your children to a variety of artwork.

A wide selection will contribute to your children's viewpoint and attitude about art.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page