loft for big girl bed?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but would love some feedback.

DD1 will be 3.5 when our new baby is born. We are thinking of buying an Ikea Kura bed now, and having her sleep under it as a loft on her mattress to start (she sleeps on a mattress on the floor now). The idea is that we'll move the baby into her (tiny) room once DD2 is old enough to sleep on a mattress on the floor (~6 mos?), and then we could move DD1's mattress up to the loft as a bunk bed (like the photo).

So, is 4 too young for a bunk bed situation? Of course, Ikea says wait until 6, but I'm sure they need to say that for insurance purposes.

The height of it is more like a midsleeper - about 4 feet off the floor. DH thinks she'll be fine, though I can't help worrying. But I think if we start with it as a loft that she can get used to climbing during the day for play, that will help the adjustment...

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mama to joy.gifDD1 (5/09) and happy crawler DD2 (11/12) and wife to DH guitar.gif

#2 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think Ikea says it because I believe it is the APA recommendation and because bunk beds *are* dangerous for young children.

#3 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM

I'd wait on a loft bed too. Sorry. I just know of 3 different kids who fell from the top bunk and got hurt.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM

You know your child best. That bunk bed does look pretty low and I'd probably worry a lot less because of that.

Are those IKEA mattresses safe for a 6 month old though? I thought they were foamy. I'd be worried about putting a 6 month old on the bottom. Maybe wait until the baby is older and your older child is older for the top too.

Also some things to think about. Does your oldest wake up in the middle of the night? If she does, you'd have to worry about what she'd do if she woke up and needed to pee or something and was in the top bunk. Most people don't think clearly upon waking.

#5 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM

I know several kids who have had that exact bed around 4.  Its not very high.  I wouldn't even worry about my ds jumping from that height (as long as the floor was clear).  *My* kid would have trouble with that bed because it is so narrow and he tosses and turns so much (currently sleeps in a full sized bed).  

I love that bed with the Trofast stair style shelves as stairs instead of the ladder.700

#6 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

I know several kids who have had that exact bed around 4.  Its not very high.  I wouldn't even worry about my ds jumping from that height (as long as the floor was clear).  *My* kid would have trouble with that bed because it is so narrow and he tosses and turns so much (currently sleeps in a full sized bed).  

I love that bed with the Trofast stair style shelves as stairs instead of the ladder.700

I love this idea! Would also keep the younger one from exploring the ladder too early...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejagerw View Post

You know your child best. That bunk bed does look pretty low and I'd probably worry a lot less because of that.

Are those IKEA mattresses safe for a 6 month old though? I thought they were foamy. I'd be worried about putting a 6 month old on the bottom. Maybe wait until the baby is older and your older child is older for the top too.

Also some things to think about. Does your oldest wake up in the middle of the night? If she does, you'd have to worry about what she'd do if she woke up and needed to pee or something and was in the top bunk. Most people don't think clearly upon waking.

Good point about the mattress - I'd make sure to use a futon or regular mattress for the baby on the floor. Also a good point about the need to get up in the middle of the night. My husband usually helps her if she cries in the middle of the night (usually comes to cosleep around 3am) so I'll bring that up with him ;)

Thanks for all the input! Ideally, this would be a temporary solution until we can move into a larger house. Their room is tiny!

Mama to joy.gifDD1 (5/09) and happy crawler DD2 (11/12) and wife to DH guitar.gif

#7 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I only have one comment to add. I didn't realize what a pain it is to put a fitted sheet on a loft or bunk bed until we owned them. If you have a bad back or poor upper body strength, you may want to reconsider, especially if your 4 y.o. is still having night-time accidents. 

#8 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM

We got that bed for DS a few years ago with the same thought. Now, DS fell out of his normal bed every single night--so I was worried about the loft. But it hasn't happened once. There is a good side wall there--but yes, you do have to use their mattress--which is shorter than a regular mattress.

Also--the bed can be flipped--so you can use it as a regular bed on the ground until the kids are ready to room together.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#9 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Good to remember... I was thinking strategic use of mattress covers would be a good idea. :)

#10 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qestia View Post

Also--the bed can be flipped--so you can use it as a regular bed on the ground until the kids are ready to room together.

Yeah, the ability to flip the bed seems like a good out if it's not working. Thanks!

#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi, just wanted to chime in with my experience. My DD is 11 now and has been sleeping in an Ikea loft bed (the taller one) since she was 6. I'll give you the positives and negatives from my perspective.

The biggest downside to getting this bed was that I totally freaked out about it once we had it set up. For weeks, I allowed her to play on it, but not sleep in it (she slept partly in my bed and partly on a mattress on the floor beneath her loft bed). Then, I let her sleep in it, but put a mattress on the floor beneath it (where she would fall, if she did) because I was convinced she would fall out. I lost a lot of sleep worrying about this!  The other downsides are that: 1) as someone else pointed out, it's a pain in the neck to change the sheets and rotate the mattress, 2) no possibility of a bedside table (we have hanging baskets attached to the side rail where she can keep tissues, her glasses, etc., 3) it can be challenging to keep your child's friends / siblings off the loft during playtime (which could be dangerous), and 3) it's more difficult to read stories and snuggle at night with a loft bed. Although my DD is nearly 12, I still snuggle with her and massage her back every night as she falls asleep. It works out only because I'm pretty small and light myself, but I imagine if I was a regular sized adult, I might not fit up there with her. I do cherish that snuggle time, and would hate to give it up just because of a bed configuration. Just something to think about.

The positives of this bed are that, 1) my DD loves it 2) it creates a lot of extra space in her (smallish) bedroom -- we put an Ikea Billy bookcase beneath it for toy and book storage, then plopped an area rug and two bean bag chairs under there as well. Instant reading / playing / hanging out area! During sleepovers, we put an inflatable air mattress in the space beneath it, and there's room for 1 or 2 friends that way. And of course, 3) she's never fallen out or had any other kind of injury in the nearly 6 years she's been sleeping in this bed. One of my other concerns was that she would get up to use the bathroom in the night and not be able to negotiate the ladder in her sleepy state, and take a tumble that way. But that's never happened either... she can do it in her sleep.

We have a few friends who have gotten the shorter model you're considering for their kids and that's worked out great for them. Good luck with your decision!

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page