Kids and concerts? What do you think? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you bring a 5 year old to an outdoor rock show?
Yes 8 88.89%
No 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's the story:  There is a big rock festival happening in our town over the next three nights.   DH really wants to go tomorrow because Slash is performing, and he's always wanted to see Slash live. 

It's hard to find a sitter who will stay at our house and put DS to bed as well as watch our 6 month old (insane) puppy.. so I'm considering bringing DS with us (he's 5 and a half). 

The concert is an outdoor event in a big field.  We've gone the last 3 years and it's not overly crowded (the crowd is more at the front near the stage and in the beer pit, both places we will obviously avoid).  I'm thinking there will be lots of room for him to run around.. he really loves hard rock music (the other day DH had Whtie Zombie on in the van and he asked for it to be turned up!  "Daddy, can you turn this music up? I love it!" lol) so I know he'll have a good time... I guess I'm worried of what other people will think of me for bringing him.. I don't want to ruin anybody else's good time (that sounds really stupid now that I've typed it). 

So. Would you bring your little one to an outdoor rock show?  There are three acts performing, and it will probably be over around 11 or 11:30 (well past DS's bedtime, but he is able to sleep in on Friday as DH is off work that day, and it's no later than when we've gone to see fireworks twice this year already).  I'll obviously bring ear protection for him too. 

What do y'all think?  Would you bring a five year old to an outdoor rock show?

Just me and DS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 02:11 PM

I think unless you're adverse to him hearing a possible swear word or two, it should be totally fine. Since it's outside, you can move him around a little  more freely than an indoor venue. 

We are fairly regular Bonnaroo attendees. While we haven't brought our kids yet, our friends had their then 9 year old daughter meet up with us there on the Sunday, due to child care issues. It was fabulous. Their girl had a ball, and there was nothing inappropriate, until Snoop took the stage. Her dad left with her then and went a walkin. ;)

Have fun!

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#3 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM

I actually just got the ear protection I ordered in the mail so DD can go to a concert festival with me the end of the summer. She'll be 11 months. Taking her to concerts with me is a joy I've been anticipating for years smile.gif

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#4 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM

I would think it would be okay. As long as you avoid the crowded areas I don't see how you'll negatively impact anyone else or your son's safety. You don't want him getting trampled or burned by a cigarette or anything. (People hold their cigarettes low at child level, I was burned in a restaurant one time when I was little). And noise level would be something to be concerned about. I'm sure he'll have fun though.

#5 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 06:38 PM

I think it would absolutely be ok!  My kids like heavy metal/rock bc dh listens to it and if we had a concert, I wouldn't hesitate as long as it wasn't so loud it would damage their ears and they wouldn't be distracting to everyone else.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#6 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Yes, I would bring the kid.

We were at Sublime last weekend and there was a family in front of us with their 9 yo DD. as much as I enjoyed a night away from the kids, it made me wish my oldest was there with us.

My kids have seen their dad play at outdoor venues and they rocked out like everyone else (though, no circle pits - lol).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With ear protection, yes. Without ear protection, no. For me, it's all about hearing. Way too many people have destroyed their hearing by listening to overloud music. You don't want to start that with a small child.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses!  We ended up not bringing him because tickets were a whopping $60 each, and my dad offered to have a sleepover with him, which worked out great!  Gave DH and I some alone time too, which is always good.    I did see some kids that looked to be about 8 or 9 there, so maybe I'll wait just a few more years before starting him at concerts.

Just me and DS.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page