Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Editing op. Sigh. 

#32 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Do you think these girls are having, like, sexual fantasies about the rock starts they're idolizing? I'm really trying to understand what about it is so objectionable to you. It doesn't sound like it's the content of the music that's bothering you - so what is it, exactly?
#33 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 PM

And, actually, no. People don't need to be respectful of any and every opinion. Please be respectful of this.
#34 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2beaugirls View Post

Do you let your daughters have the latest tween boy craze merchandise? By that I mean stuff like Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers posters, pillows, bedspreads, dolls etc. Really interested in hearing differing points of view. Same goes for moms buying their sons hannah montana or britney spears or other teen or adult girl stuff. 

ok this is good and not judgy, but it doesnt really tell me what you are thinking. so someone replying to this might bring up characters or lyrics. so if you wrote in your next para that you didnt like it because it looked like ..... you would get the exact answer you were looking for and i wouldnt use eww and creepy for you too which is i will admit disrespectful. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Op you come off as a little judgey pants.  Kind of like the moms who are different and allow different things should be ashamed because you're disgusted by it.  Every one is different ya know. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I'm sorry OP but it's judgey. It's similar to me saying something like My neighbor lets her 8 yr old watch Disney and I find that disgusting what do you guys think? Then you get upset when someone says "Uh... that's really not a great way to start a conversation" and you get upset.

It's not disrespectful to disagree and to point out the obvious, I do apologize if you're unable to see it any other way.  There's no need for hard feelings. 

Imakcerka's posts explains why we find your posts judgy. 

bottom line is these are phases our kids go thru. once they are done they dont even remember them. dd has no memory of buying Hanna M. school supplies for beginning of K. had i said no and made a big deal she would still remember that. 

and JB and high school musical are seen as kiddish by most teenagers. even though they still might secretly like them, they will never admit in public. in college amongst the 18 - 20 year olds JB was a joke. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#35 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Regardless of who respects whose opinions, please keep to debating on the post, not the poster.  It's getting a bit on the personal side. 

Imakcerka- Please edit out your judgy pants comment. 

#36 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

momma2beaugirls- I know that you are new to MDC, so please review the User Agreement.  We do not allow namecalling, and if you see a post that you feel is against the UA, please hit the little exclamation point on the botton of the screen and a moderator will check it out.  Thanks for your cooperation! 

#37 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

momma2beaugirls- I know that you are new to MDC, so please review the User Agreement.  We do not allow namecalling, and if you see a post that you feel is against the UA, please hit the little exclamation point on the botton of the screen and a moderator will check it out.  Thanks for your cooperation! 

Thank you! 

#38 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM

My daughter is only 4(well, almost 4) but loves Justin Bieber. She has a few dolls, a pillow, and jewelry. I don't really see the harm in it. If my son wanted a celebrity merchandise, I'd let him have it... I don't really care!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#39 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

in all my experience with moms IRL, moms on bulletin boards, etc. this is the very first time i have ever come across someone looking at this as you have - twice the age. and yes it was shocking to me. 

Try to see the whole thing from a different point of view. I am totally  with "momma". How old is Bieber ? About 17 - 18? He doesn't sing songs for girls 8-9yo. He just does not. Please, do not be shocked that some parents do not want their kids to be hooked on an absolutely inappropriate stuff.

Check out this book on kindle http://bit.ly/playsongs

#40 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 PM

My kids cannot stand Beiber.  My oldest, 11 yo dd, won't even say his name, it's hilarious.  So I don't really have to deal with this.  But it general, I don't care what my kids get into as far as pop culture as long as certain overall things remain the same such as - not buying stuff I can't afford (my kids have their own spending money and if they want to buy cheap shit with it, that's their issue as long as rooms stay clean, etc), not harming another person or themselves, and not inflicting their obsession on siblings.  IE-if we are all in the main areas of the house or the car together we try to listen to music we can agree on. 

So far,  I like most of what my kids like.  I have a pretty eclectic taste in music though.  We listen to music together, watch tv together, read some of the same books.  I try to find what I CAN like about their interests so we can share them , for the most part.  (such as the latest vampire fiction dd read through.  was pretty cute, but middle schoolers aren't exactly my first choice to read about. I read the series so we could talk about it and share that.  If she wanted a 6th grader goth girl poster on her wall how does it hurt anyone?)

She is really, insanely into P!NK right now.  i love it. ;-)  I personally don't find it all that inappropriate to listen to pop music.  Anything "old" for them either goes over their heads or gets discussed.  I'm into talking through stuff with my kiddos.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#41 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirina View Post

Try to see the whole thing from a different point of view. I am totally  with "momma". How old is Bieber ? About 17 - 18? He doesn't sing songs for girls 8-9yo. He just does not. Please, do not be shocked that some parents do not want their kids to be hooked on an absolutely inappropriate stuff.
I've actually never really heard Bieber, except in passing. What I have heard hasn't been objectionable in any way - except for in the sense that it's horrible music. What is inappropriate about it?
#42 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

I've actually never really heard Bieber, except in passing. What I have heard hasn't been objectionable in any way - except for in the sense that it's horrible music. What is inappropriate about it?

OK, read for example this and if you think it is something appropriate for 8-9yo, then we totally disagree on what kids are able to understand. Or maybe we disagree on the fact that kids should be listening and watching stuff they ARE able to understand (even maybe with a little help from an adult).

"Stuck In The Moment"

(With you, with you
I wish we had another time,
I wish we had another place.)

Now Romeo and Juliet,
Bet they never felt the way we felt.
Bonnie and Clyde,
Never had to hide like we do, we do.
You and I both know it can't work,
It's all fun and games,
'til someone gets hurt,
And I know I wont let that be you

Now you don't wanna let go,
And I don't wanna let you know
That there might be something real between us two (who knew?)
Now we don't wanna fall but,
We're tripping in our hearts and,
It's reckless and clumsy,
Cause I know you cant love me, hey
I wish we had another place,
But everything we have is stuck in the moment,
And there's nothing my heart can't do,
To fight with time and space,
Cause I'm still stuck in the moment with you

See like Adam and Eve,
Tragedy was our destiny,
Like Sonny and Cher,
I don't care I've got you baby.
See we both fighting every inch of our fiber,
Cause either way its gonna end right but,
We are both too foolish to stop.

Now you don't wanna let go,
And I don't wanna let you know
That there might be something real between us two (who knew?)
Now we don't wanna fall but,
We're tripping in our hearts and,
It's reckless and clumsy,
And I know you can't love me, hey

See like just because this cold, cruel world
Saying we can't be,
Baby, we both have the right to disagree,
And I ain't with it.
And I don't wanna be so old and gray,
Reminiscing about these better days,
But convention's telling us to let go
And I still let go,
So we'll never know

Cause everything we did,
And everything we have is stuck in the moment
(Yeaaah oh no no no)

#43 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 03:49 PM

What do you think an 8 year old wouldn't understand about that?

(I wish I could find the song my now 9 year old wrote a couple of years ago about being in love and the guy getting hit by a bus. It was epic.)
#44 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM

Oh, and I also do disagree that kids should only be exposed to things which they already are 100% capable of understanding. It's pretty solid educational philosophy that the best way to improve reading comprehension (and that's essentially what we're talking about when dealing with song lyrics) is by reading above the current level of comprehension. A crappy as I think the lyrics that song are, I see a lot of things a kid could learn from it. Who are Romeo and Juliet? What about Bonnie and Clyde, for that matter? Pop culture reference to Sonny and Cher. What do these people have to do with the theme of the song? Are they relationships to which one should aspire? Do you think it's good or bad that the couple in the song aren't together?
#45 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirina View Post

of course i will be shocked. she is not talking about lyrics. it isnt what he is doing that was the issue. it was what she alluded to as what the kids thought - that their interest in a rock star was of some kind of sexual nature - yikes.

we have had many moms here bring the lyrics and inappropriate nature of the songs here many times and there has been a healthy sharing of opinions. 

but this way of looking at things is so so so different. that is what was shocking for me. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#46 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

Oh, and I also do disagree that kids should only be exposed to things which they already are 100% capable of understanding. It's pretty solid educational philosophy that the best way to improve reading comprehension (and that's essentially what we're talking about when dealing with song lyrics) is by reading above the current level of comprehension. A crappy as I think the lyrics that song are, I see a lot of things a kid could learn from it. Who are Romeo and Juliet? What about Bonnie and Clyde, for that matter? Pop culture reference to Sonny and Cher. What do these people have to do with the theme of the song? Are they relationships to which one should aspire? Do you think it's good or bad that the couple in the song aren't together?

Being in love and a guy getting hit by a bus written by 7yo is a song/poem written on the level of understanding the matter by 7yo. That is fine. But do you really think that Bieber's target audience was meant to be girls in grade 3? I thing that explaining them who was Romeo and Juliet, Bonnie and Clyde etc. will not help very much. They might stay quite confused since they lack their own life experience to understand what was actually said behind the words.

And I don't think kids should only be exposed to things they already are 100% capable of understanding. That is even not possible. But I don't think we should let them try to handle stuff they are 100% not capable to understand.

#47 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 PM

I actually do think that the target audience for that kind of music is girls in elementary school. Kind of like Tiffany and Debbie Gibson and the NKOTB were when I was young. I really still don't understand what you think an 8 or 9 year old would find confusing about that song.
#48 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 04:36 PM

you know which artist has made me smile a lot?

pink. i have heard 5, 6 year olds belt out the lyrics of many of her songs. 

the point is listening to those songs is like writing IMHO.

in general most children dont start 'writing'. they 'draw'. what that means is their name becomes a picture. they have no idea what the alphabets are but they CAN write their name but are unable to read it. same thing with most pop music. they know the songs left, right and center... but they have no clue what it means unless something stands out for them. 

i'll tell you what i find hugely, grossly inappropriate than JB or others is a book about Sponge Bob getting 'drunk' on icecream, sitting at a bar and asking for stuff. IMG i was horrified. passing on that culture to young readers? or read tos. shameful. 

many times with teh song it isnt about the song but the tune and energy the performer puts into it. 

#49 of 49 Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

of course i will be shocked. she is not talking about lyrics. it isnt what he is doing that was the issue. it was what she alluded to as what the kids thought - that their interest in a rock star was of some kind of sexual nature - yikes.

we have had many moms here bring the lyrics and inappropriate nature of the songs here many times and there has been a healthy sharing of opinions. 

but this way of looking at things is so so so different. that is what was shocking for me. 

I am sorry, I did not see in her posts this sexual point of view, but now I noted that some posts were edited...so it looks like we were talking about different things. I don't think those kids can experience erotic/ sexual interest towards anybody. They can possibly talk about it (and feel very grown up), but they have no idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page