Justin Bieber/Jonas Brothers merchandise - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you let your daughters have the latest tween boy craze merchandise? By that I mean stuff like Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers posters, pillows, bedspreads, dolls etc. Really interested in hearing differing points of view. Same goes for moms buying their sons hannah montana or britney spears or other teen or adult girl stuff. 

#2 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I don't really understand who that merchandise is for, because my teen dd's and they friends would rather be shot than own something like that.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Is this really any different than girls whose bedroom walls were covered with pictures of The Beatles and Elvis Presley? What about New Kids on the Block? Or Christy Brinkley or Cindy Crawford. I'm pretty sure that young kids have been in love with stars of that era & the items filling the room have just changed over time.
#4 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 PM

My 12 yo daughter loves Justin Bieber. She has posters of him in her room. I don't understand why you're offended by it. He's not naked. She also  has a Beatles poster and a map of the world, all at her request. I don't see any difference. Her room, her tastes. Kids that age tend to like to advertise their likes and dislikes on binders, in their rooms, etc.

Childhood crushes are normal. I had pictures of Rob Lowe all over my room at her age.

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#5 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

#6 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

Is this really any different than girls whose bedroom walls were covered with pictures of The Beatles and Elvis Presley? What about New Kids on the Block? Or Christy Brinkley or Cindy Crawford. I'm pretty sure that young kids have been in love with stars of that era & the items filling the room have just changed over time.

I wasn't arguing that there was a difference. Maybe you should read my post carefully before commenting.

#7 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post

My 12 yo daughter loves Justin Bieber. She has posters of him in her room. I don't understand why you're offended by it. He's not naked. She also  has a Beatles poster and a map of the world, all at her request. I don't see any difference. Her room, her tastes. Kids that age tend to like to advertise their likes and dislikes on binders, in their rooms, etc.

Childhood crushes are normal. I had pictures of Rob Lowe all over my room at her age.

In my post I said 4-10 year olds and gave my reasons why it offends me so I have no idea why you don't understand. 

#8 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2beaugirls View Post

I wasn't arguing that there was a difference. Maybe you should read my post carefully before commenting.

I read your post quite carefully but thanks for checking. I based my comment on the fact that you said the latest tween craze when in fact this kind of thing is far from new. It's apparent from your posting history that you really dislike everything popular and changed since you were a kid and that's absolutely fine, you're the mom in charge. But a poster of Justin Bieber (who is pretty darn squeaky clean compared to some others) is hardly a moral crisis. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
#9 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:

In my post I said 4-10 year olds and gave my reasons why it offends me so I have no idea why you don't understand. 

Probably because, as she stated in reply, she doesn't agree with you. Disagreeing is okay here as long as we are respectful.
#10 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well the latest stuff is what is readily available so that's what I used as an example. And no I don't think its a moral crisis. 

#11 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

#12 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:

It offends you because it disturbs you and creeps you out? Why? I also had Michael Jackson posters on my wall when I was little. Is that creepy too? I was wondering why this particular type of thing bothers you. You mentioned that you don't want your daughter obsessing over a boy twice her age...it sounds like you think it's more than just tacky. I am telling you that I buy this stuff because my daughter likes it. I don't see the harm. That's MY point. You asked for feedback. You said you were interested in what others had to say. It doesn't appear this way. You're seeming defensive and upset that not everyone agrees with you. 

Sorry that her age didn't fit into your specific creepy criteria. Her sister is ten, and they share a room. Does my opinion count now?

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#13 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm doesn't sound like you are being respectful! I don't know what else to say, I gave my reasons why I don't like it. Do there need to be more reasons? I want to hear others opinions, doesn't mean you have to pick my post apart and all that. 

#14 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Hmm doesn't sound like you are being respectful!

Honestly if you think any of the replies you have received thus far are disrespectful then please don't venture into the vaccination forums because no one here has been the slightest bit inappropriate. Maybe if you don't like people to disagree you should state that in your thread title next time.
#15 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

good grief I give up!!! 

Alphaghetti likes this.
#16 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 02:03 PM

Wow. LOL

No disrespect intended. You asked a question about opinions, and I answered with my opinion. 'Tis all. Peace.  joy.gif

signcirc1.gif

#17 of 49 Old 07-25-2012, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

First, I agree with pp who noted that teens aren't interested in Justin Bieber or the Jonas Brothers - at least, not any teens that I know. They cringe at the thought. 

Second, there's a big difference between a 4 y.o and a 10 y.o. I'll guess that most of the Bieber merchandise is owned by 10 y.o's and other "tweens". 

Third, my kids have had their own money (allowance, birthday cash etc.) to spend on whatever they wanted from a fairly young age - 5 or so. If they chose to buy celebrity stuff, it's not illegal or immoral, so although I might have suggested (with a lot of persuasion and enthusiasm) alternatives for spending, I don't think I would have outright forbidden it. My kids are older now, but I don't recall them being interested in pop celebrity culture at age 4 or 5. They did like to buy Pokemon or Disney or other pop culture stuff. I didn't object. I didn't encourage it, either. Mostly because I dislike buy junky clutter in the first place. 

#18 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

What seems to be intended for teens really misses the mark lately doesn't it? My kids loved Jonas and Bieber inn kinder and 1st grade.  They had no idea why but now that stuff is out and they're busy with other things.  And nothing goes on their walls unless they both like it.  Right now it's Horses.

#19 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 AM

This thread is cracking me up.

Anyhow, I have an 11 yo son, a 9 year old dd, and a 6 year old son. None of them are into Bieber or anything like that. I have brainwashed them into only liking music I consider good. I have worked hard at this, please be respectful of it. lol.gif: Anyhow, if any of them enjoyed Bieber or his dreaded ilk, I'd be fine with them having some of the merchandise. As it is, dd wants a singing Bieber doll to use as a crash test dummy for her Mythbusters-esque experiments. Alas, I cannot justify the expense for something she will destroy, as amusing as it would be.
#20 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 09:48 AM

And Bieber's music is probably a hell of a lot more "wholesome" than the music my kids actually listen to, so 2whistle.gif
#21 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

And Bieber's music is probably a hell of a lot more "wholesome" than the music my kids actually listen to, so 2whistle.gif

Right?!  I heard my oldest singing something that had me like... "SAY WHAAAAAAAT?"   Oh it was Nicki Minaj... apparently it's a catchy song... I'll pm you the song so I don't get flamed for it.

#22 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

This thread is cracking me up.
Anyhow, I have an 11 yo son, a 9 year old dd, and a 6 year old son. None of them are into Bieber or anything like that. I have brainwashed them into only liking music I consider good. I have worked hard at this, please be respectful of it. lol.gif: Anyhow, if any of them enjoyed Bieber or his dreaded ilk, I'd be fine with them having some of the merchandise. As it is, dd wants a singing Bieber doll to use as a crash test dummy for her Mythbusters-esque experiments. Alas, I cannot justify the expense for something she will destroy, as amusing as it would be.

Lucky! I worked really hard to brainwash my kids into liking good music, but alas, they have rebelled. ;)  They DO like great stuff, but they also like the top 40 crap.

signcirc1.gif

#23 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

I'm going to have to start pretending to hate the music they like so they don't go out and find stuff to actually piss me off. lol.gif
#24 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

but I don't understand parents who purposely buy their 4-10 year old daughters stuff like that. It disturbs me and creeps me out. I don't want my six year old daughter obsessing over a boy twice her age and I just find it all incredibly tacky and cheap. 

seriously?!!! because the parents buy those stuff it creeps you out. 

what is creeping ME out is your very post. you see it as u dont want your 6 year old dd obsessing over a 'boy twice her age'. ewwwwww!!

none of the girls (and there are PLENTY of girls in dd's class who have liked JB since first grade and K) have ever obsessed over a 'boy twice her age', they obsessed over a rock star and his songs. THAT is a huge difference. for dress up day, the majority teh girls dress up as are rock stars. my dd obsesses over Alton Brown. is THAT even worse because he's a man? i would call it an obsession coz she wants him on her bday cake.

would it have made you feel better if JB was say 8 years old?

yes some 4 to 10 year old do obsess over own age mate friends. maybe even a grade or two higher. but to equate childhood crushes to sex is just ewwww. at least that's how it comes across to me that that's what you are doing. otherwise why the eww factor?

even if a 5 year old says she wants to marry JB would that be a eww? what about my friends 5 year old who wants to marry me? is that ewww too?

my dd obsesses over Adele. the reason we dont have a poster is coz we just dont have that kind of money. if we did she'd have a poster of her on the wall. is that ewww? if you are saying heteros can eww you out, then same sex should eww you out too, shouldnt it. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#25 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

seriously?!!! because the parents buy those stuff it creeps you out. 

what is creeping ME out is your very post. you see it as u dont want your 6 year old dd obsessing over a 'boy twice her age'. ewwwwww!!

none of the girls (and there are PLENTY of girls in dd's class who have liked JB since first grade and K) have ever obsessed over a 'boy twice her age', they obsessed over a rock star and his songs. THAT is a huge difference. for dress up day, the majority teh girls dress up as are rock stars. my dd obsesses over Alton Brown. is THAT even worse because he's a man? i would call it an obsession coz she wants him on her bday cake.

would it have made you feel better if JB was say 8 years old?

yes some 4 to 10 year old do obsess over own age mate friends. maybe even a grade or two higher. but to equate childhood crushes to sex is just ewwww. at least that's how it comes across to me that that's what you are doing. otherwise why the eww factor?

even if a 5 year old says she wants to marry JB would that be a eww? what about my friends 5 year old who wants to marry me? is that ewww too?

my dd obsesses over Adele. the reason we dont have a poster is coz we just dont have that kind of money. if we did she'd have a poster of her on the wall. is that ewww? if you are saying heteros can eww you out, then same sex should eww you out too, shouldnt it. 

Please be respectful. It is my opinion and you don't have to share it but you need to be respectful. I don't get why others can get away with talking like this but if I get angry because people are misinterpreting my post and being disrespectful then everyone gangs up on me and says "oh you just don't want to here other opinions!" That is entirely not true. 

#26 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Please be respectful. It is my opinion and you don't have to share it but you need to be respectful. I don't get why others can get away with talking like this but if I get angry because people are misinterpreting my post and being disrespectful then everyone gangs up on me and says "oh you just don't want to here other opinions!" That is entirely not true. 

what part is disrespectful? you call other parents actions eww, and i said i find your interpretation eww? 

i am trying to get at why you feel the way you do. 

in all my experience with moms IRL, moms on bulletin boards, etc. this is the very first time i have ever come across someone looking at this as you have - twice the age. and yes it was shocking to me. 

i seriously did not mean to offend you. i am trying to understand your point of view by expressing my reaction to your point of view. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#27 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Can you explain what you meant by your original post? It's unclear to me what you're looking for as answers.

I don't see anyone ganging up on  you. I see reactions to your post. You seem to be conveying that somehow these teen stars' merchandise is creepy. Your original post, to me, and to the previous poster, apparently, seems to elude to the fact that you find the merchandise to be promoting sexuality, or inappropriateness in some way.

signcirc1.gif

#28 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Op it comes off as slightly judgemental.   Kind of like the moms who are different and allow different things should be ashamed because you're disgusted by it.  Every one is different ya know. 

#29 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

"seriously?!!! because the parents buy those stuff it creeps you out? What is creeping ME out is your very post!"

This is the part I found very disrespectful. Let me make this as clear as possible. I am NOT judging anyone. I am merely stating my opinion about why I don't like it. Isn't that what this website is about? Sharing opinions? I didn't mean to come across as judgmental. 

#30 of 49 Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 PM

I'm sorry OP but it's judgey. It's similar to me saying something like My neighbor lets her 8 yr old watch Disney and I find that disgusting what do you guys think? Then you get upset when someone says "Uh... that's really not a great way to start a conversation" and you get upset.

It's not disrespectful to disagree and to point out the obvious, I do apologize if you're unable to see it any other way.  There's no need for hard feelings. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page