easy bake oven - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for reviews of the easy bake oven. Not the one that's out now that cooks other food besides dessert. I'm talking about the previous version that was in turquoise. How often do you have to change the light bulb? How does it taste, what recipes do you use, do your girls love it etc

#2 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm not sure, but I think the turquoise version hasn't been available for decades. We bought DD a white version that uses the lightbulb and bakes cookies and cakes from packages included in the box.

We bought it when she was about 8, maybe, for Christmas. We've never changed the lightbulb and she is a teen now, but she didn't use it much. Honestly the cookies and cakes taste awful. Even the kids agree. The kids have always baked with me in the kitchen, so there wasn't a lot of attraction to using it. It's at our cottage now, for other little kids in the family to play with. We tried it a few months ago and it works fine. 

To be honest, we bought it because I always wanted the turquoise Easy Bake Oven and envied my friends who owned it. It was wish fulfillment on my part and not something my kids wanted.  

If you buy one, you may want to buy a stock of incandescent lightbulbs. Once the compact flourescent lightbulbs are standard, those old Easy Bake ovens will be out of commission.  

#3 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

I bought it a few years ago in at Walmart. This is the one: http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Bake-35230-Oven/dp/B001DI4VN0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343402621&sr=8-2&keywords=easy+bake+oven

I already stocked up on those light bulbs! haha I figured we would use real ingredients instead of the packaged kind, there are a lot of recipes out there! 

#4 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 AM

My daughter got the white/turquioise one for Christmas last year, and we love it!  Don't use it very often, but both she and her older brother dig it. 

They both also cook and bake in the regular oven with me too, but there's just something fun about tiny lightbulb baking!!

I told my mom to stay away from the purple "ultimate" one because it had pretty bad reviews, so we got the regular one.

My mom got this cookbook too, that comes with tiny measuring spoons too!  http://www.amazon.com/Mommy-Me-Cookbook-Recipes-Kid-Size/dp/0971851506/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343403757&sr=1-3&keywords=mommy+and+me+cookbook

I am sure you can google a hundred kid size oven recipes online, too if you don't want to buy a book.   The mixes are awful, no doubt, so I'd just use whatever came with it and hten do the rest from scratch.

We've used it probably 6 times since Christmas and as long as we follow the proportions, things turn out just fine!  We've made:  cake, brownies, peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies. We had one flop where I misread and added too much egg and then tried to compensate and it wound up like a brick, but everything we've followed the proportions correctly for has turned out well. 

Some of the recipes call for small amounts of egg (or merengue powder or egg white liquid), and I just beat an egg, use the portion I need, and save the rest for breakfast the next day.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page