8 yr old sleeping constantly - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 8 yr old had a bad cold last week.  All of his symptoms seem to have cleared up a couple of days ago, but he slept all day yesterday, only getting up for a few minutes or an hour, a couple of times, then he slept all night, and now he's sleeping all day again today.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  He does not have a fever, any pain anywhere, or seemingly any other symptoms.  It's starting to freak me out.  If it was just yesterday I would think he's just recovering from the cold.

#2 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
It could be mono or pneumonia. My dd was very tired when she had pneumonia and mono is spread like a common cold but sometimes takes a big toll on some people. If he isn't eating or drinking much that also contributes to lethargy. If yoy think his lack of appetite is the problem i suggest getting some sugary juice and pudding into him fast and seeing if that helps. My dd's pediatrician suggested this when dd had mo sugar in her urine and was leathargic snd it made a difference very quickly. I suggest having him seen by a doctor ASAP if he doesn't improve quickly.
#3 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

I would just think there would be a fever with mono or pneumonia?

I'm thinking about the ER tonight...am I overreacting?

#4 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Mono symptoms can last for months and fever isn't necessarily there all the time. It is kind of fascinating to read about on the CDC website. I have known two kids and one adult which got pneumonia with ni other symptoms. I don't think an er visit is over reacting at all.
#5 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM

If the cold kept him from resting much then I'd say his body is just catching up.  It is not anything I would go to ER for, especially during the week

#6 of 6 Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

No, he actually was sleeping quite a bit extra during the cold.  My husband took him to the ER, he has asthma, has been hospitalized for pneumonia, was hospitalized for RSV last year...so we like to be sure.  Also his general dr. is closed today.  They tested him for mono, we haven't gotten results yet, but they gave him IV fluids and he just woke up perky.  I think he just got severely dehydrated by the bad cold he had last week. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page