Poll: At what age would you let your child fly unaccompanied, non-stop, oveseas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When would you let your child fly overseas unaccompanied?
5-7 0 0%
8-9 3 8.11%
10-11 5 13.51%
12-13 7 18.92%
14-15 6 16.22%
16-17 4 10.81%
18+ 12 32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I voted 14-15.  I traveled to three countries with a friend when I was 16.  I'm not going to say it was without incident (my friend lost her passport and there was an incident with a cab driver in the Philippines), but we handled our difficulties with maturity.  Of course that was a different world back then, but I know I was responsible enough to do it.   I think it would depend on the country, but I would let my children do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I would let my kiddo go now, at age 11.  He's traveled enough and is confident enough to be able to handle a long flight and know who is meeting him on the other end.  Even if there was a transfer at some point he would be fine.  Again this is MY KID and MY comfort level.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM

forgot to vote

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I'm curious....what are the airlines rules about unaccompanied minors? If they are under a certain age, say 13, is the parent required to buy a 'chaperone' ticket for someone? (It used to be like that years ago)....And also, I noticed that alot of moms say that when they were kids, they used to do 'this' all the time...does anyone think about how different it was for us growing up and how it may not even compare to our own kids? (not attacking, just curious...). I don't think I'd let my kids go on flights alone till they are in their early teens perhaps...and international may be a whole other story...........who knows how things will change in a few years.

broc1.gif
Old 08-05-2012, 10:18 PM

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/childrenTravelingAloneChecklist.jsp

here is a list from American Airlines. almost all other airlines look the same. below is alitalia guidelines. very similar

http://www.alitalia.com/US_EN/your_travel/organize_your_travel/minors/index.aspx?WT.ac=editorial2-4

today there are i would say with more single parent families way more unaccompanied minors travelling - nationally as well as internationally. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
There aren't FAA regulations about this, so it is airline policy that dictates what happens. Each airline can make their own rules. An airline can have different rules for domestic and international flights.

Parents need to check the policy for the airline they are planning on using, and be clear on the additional cost.

I think flying unaccompanied has gone up over the years and will continue to do so because of the number of kids with divorced (or never married) parents. Irl, the only kids I know who travel unaccompanied are doing so to visit a parent. And some of the parents find it painful to put their kids on those plans.

I'm nearing 50, and I don't know anyone my age who flew unaccompanied as a child. It just wasn't a common thing.

(as a teen/college student for education, yes. But as a CHILD, no)

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

User Tag List