Quiet ADHD anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

does your dd have it. are you familiar with it?

any book recommendations?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 6 Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is my dd to a T. Everyone wanted to label her brother (who does not fit, at all) because he was disruptive in school but the school never wanted to help me help dd. when she tanked in jr high I went outside the district. Got a dx. No books except on executive functioning we just muddled through.
#3 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

That is my dd to a T. Everyone wanted to label her brother (who does not fit, at all) because he was disruptive in school but the school never wanted to help me help dd. when she tanked in jr high I went outside the district. Got a dx. No books except on executive functioning we just muddled through.

THATS IT!!! it is executive functioning that i am looking at with dd. and that's when i happened upon quiet ADHD and now wanting to know more. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I've usually seen it referred to as ADD-inattentive or ADHD-inattentive. Dd1 has some indicators of that, but I think her anxiety is influencing the test results. 

You might like to check out the book, "Smart, but Scattered" which I saw recommended here on MDC. I have it, but haven't read the whole thing yet.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#5 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

I've usually seen it referred to as ADD-inattentive or ADHD-inattentive. Dd1 has some indicators of that, but I think her anxiety is influencing the test results. 

You might like to check out the book, "Smart, but Scattered" which I saw recommended here on MDC. I have it, but haven't read the whole thing yet.

thanks beanma - that is the book i am reading as i write. 

i am going crazy about all the things i have to think about. i havent tested dd but from reading i see she has some indicators but i think two things are definitely affecting it - her giftedness and anxiety. 

the bottom line is i dont need a diagnosis. i just need to know how to help dd. and i cant do that without a diagnosis. 

and i'm not sure if i would even really agree with the diagnosis. 

#6 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd also has a anxiety. We have been treating with medication since she was 16 because it was really impacting her and she could have a voice in the decisions (not that she couldn't as a you her person but her world was smaller so it was more manageable ) . The book I found is Thinking Organized - for parents and children. I think it may have made her swing the other way - but she is now keeping deadlines better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page