How to get DD drink milk or eat dairy products? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Cow's milk is for baby cows.

My dd1 (11) is super healthy and hates milk. I've never forced her to drink it. I've offered. She's refused. End of story. She does like some cheese and ice cream occasionally. She hates yogurt. She loves salads and lots of veggies. Loves Thai food and Japanese food. Adores Mexican and spicy stuff. She's not a big fruit eater, either. She has great teeth. I really just don't worry about it. 

My dh is dairy intolerant (super bad cramps, etc, etc) and I would never force dairy on anyone. It took him a really long time to figure out that dairy was causing most of his problems because it is so heavily pushed, but when he completely cut it out, including cheese, his stomach problems started to go away. 

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#32 of 46 Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter's pediatrician believes that milk is 'not our friend'.  She thinks that it has effected our adrenals and that it might be the source of so many autoimmune diseases (like fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, etc.) and allergies/asthma.

She recommends Almond Milk and leafy greens.

Sigh...I love milk!  I have to hold myself back from drinking 3 glasses a day.  Just typing this makes me want some milk.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#33 of 46 Old 09-01-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post

Sigh...I love milk!  I have to hold myself back from drinking 3 glasses a day.  Just typing this makes me want some milk.

Me too!

Another non-milk-drinker kid here.  Has never, ever liked it, and has probably had like 4 sips in her lifetime until I stopped offering.  All she drinks is water.  Quite literally.  She likes almond and coconut milk yogurt, and likes cheese but not every day, and she eats lots of broccoli and some other greens...and I have her take some gummies every once in a while too for insurance if we've been skimpy on the greens.  She is a tall, sturdy girl with nary a drop of liquid cow milk in her her whole 6 years!

PLUSSSS, cow dairy makes her and her brother act wonky, so we mostly stay away from it. They can handle a serving or two a week, but more than that and they are prone to LARGE emotional outbursts!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#34 of 46 Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for all of your opinions. I feel relieved now. I will give DD more varieties of food so that she can have enough calcium without drinking much milk.

#35 of 46 Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

You might be interested to know that the Harvard School of Public Health recommends that people limit dairy in their diet and recommends people drink water or tea instead.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/calcium-and-milk/index.html

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#36 of 46 Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 PM

I don't like milk myself so I can totally relate to your child :) I have trouble forcing milk into mine

as I don't entirely believe that a child need little' cow's hormons as if nature intended it

I would be a cow myself, and so I think that humanity did not drink milk forever, but

only ever since the cows were domesticated .. make it 15 000 year? and human race is like a

mil? so you got my point :)

but.. I think that calcium is important and milk is easy calcium so I try to pump it in her too..

so. I do ice cram, that counts! I do banana milk.. just warm up milk a bit in the microwave,

then put one banana and whatever amount of milk fits in the magic bullet blender and

just blend together and voila! banana milk! add a tinny bit sugar to taste as a spoonfull

of sugar makes the medicine go down.. la la la..

other idea? yeah, once upon a time we went to Krispy Krim donat shop

and they had this cup.. with a donught on the bottom, I had heard miracles about kids

eating well from dishes with pictures on the bottom when I was a kid and never had one

so that sounded like .. interesting idea?

I decided to buy one cup like that, My hubby went blue as the sticker price is like "are you kidding me?"..

12 bucks for a little cup?.. yeah

I got it anyway.. I am telling you, instant magic. My daughter would ask for MILK in this cup.

I would say it paid off multitude times. I can make her dink milk in this cup ANYTIME!

of course not kids are alike.. but I was amazing how easy it was to make her drink from it..

I also told her I had the same cup when I was little.. okay little white lie.. but hey it worked.

I looked up online they have htem here.. and are you kidding me??? they sell two for what I paid for one?

I must go again to our store to check if I overpaid!!!!! outraged :)

mouse over the picture on this page of this cup: child's surprise cup on this page to see the donught on the bottom.. 

https://shop.krispykreme.com/c-2-coffees-mugs.aspx

I would suggest to buy it locally if you have the krispykrim to see if it will do the trick and if not

you then may return it.

I am telling you not only works for her but other kids who visit want just like it!

I throw it into dishwasher. oh and it is very solid, and thick so it feels good in hands,not too big either.

I woudl preffer something like this in more cute form but hey, that is all I could find  and it works.

the donught inside is not painted flat, it is actually little porcelain donught three dimensional.

of course it is not removable.

oh and also you can make her all kinds of other fruit milks.. not only banana, but

strawberry, blueberry.. be careful though, not to add to many fruits

as that will turn milk sour.. banana is kind of safe never did it to the milk

but too much strawberries or blueberries did it to me as there i slots of acid.

boiling mik first and adding bit banana sort of helped too.

oh and smoothies? that is good calcium too.

#37 of 46 Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM

#38 of 46 Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPrincess View Post
<snip> 

but.. I think that calcium is important and milk is easy calcium so I try to pump it in her too..

<snip>

I also told her I had the same cup when I was little.. okay little white lie.. but hey it worked.

<snip>

oh and smoothies? that is good calcium too.

While it may be easy, it's not good calcium for humans.  It may be for baby cows, but it isn't for humans.  The marketers pay good money to make you believe that it is though.  If it were, in addition to being the top consumers in the world of dairy, we wouldn't also be the people w/ the most osteoporosis.  

Why are you lieing to get your kid to get her to do something?  Would you tell a white lie to your partner?  Even if it "worked?"

Lastly, you can use greens in smoothies & coconut or some other kind of non-dairy milk.  You said it yourself, milk isn't necessary & it is upsetting to me to hear that a mom is lieing to her child to get her to drink something that isn't necessary.  confused.gif

Sus

transylvania_mom likes this.

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#39 of 46 Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 AM

also..

on allergy tests.. many times they are just plain wrong. I have heard times and times again

from people who were told they are not allergic to somethign yet they have reaction to that thing

or the opposite..

here is one of the interesting posts on allergies and tests.. but google : allergy tests and

accuracy and you will see. there is just somethign fundamentally wrong about how

the tests are performed, analized and how body reacts to all that stuff.. might not be all that there is

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1269452/can-allergy-test-be-wrong

I might not be allergic milk product but I must have some inborn dislike that I also

associate with something in my body telling me that this is not thing for me,

I can trick myself into drinking it or force myself, but liking milk . another story :)

I have it easier with undercovered old milk: cheese, yogurt etc... or easier

entirely with fermented milk like yougurt and buttermilk but then again not great fan.

It was intersting how my little one after tasting milk I gave her last n ight she

just said: I don't like milk because it smells like cow's poop :)

she did drink it for "strong bones" but  I feel bad convincing her to drink it just the same.

my husband can drink half gallon milk a day and he always drink it faster then we can buy..

that is an oposite and extreme I suppose.

#40 of 46 Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 AM

There are multiple possible problems with dairy.

1. There is lactose intolerance. This is when the body lacks the lactase enzyme to break down the lactose. (Galactose is one of the components of lactose, and needs the galactase enzyme to be broken down.)

2. There is dairy sensitivity. The general catch-all (in my opinion), for "we don't know what the problem actually is" situation.

3. There is dairy allergy. Allergists insist that a histamine response is required for it to be a true allergy.

3a. Allergy to the casein protein in the milk. This is the one tested for and most acknowledged.

3b. Allergy to the fat in dairy. Not tested for, specifically. When attempting to isolate the casein, some fat molecules can be included, but that's not going to give as accurate a response as if the fat molecules are being tested.

There are bound to be other things, too. How much of the chemicals the cows eat end up in the milk? What about equipment that isn't cleaned well after packaging non-organic and then organic milk?

If someone doesn't like milk, or doesn't feel good after consuming dairy, I'd err on the side of possible reaction, and find other sources of calcium and liquid. This is because I suffered for many, many years because my family never accepted that I have a problem with dairy. I would never, ever put another child through that torture.
beanma likes this.
#41 of 46 Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM

also.. that is pretty amazing but my lo had huge sensitivity to milk with vitamin D.

no matter organic or conventional, if I would give it to her for a while there were

all kinds of symptoms including emotional.. then as soon as we cleaned the system

and switched to no D milk it all was better, then back to D.. decline,

back to without.. better.. so after many a trials we figured out that with her

it was not so mcuh dairy per se but the vitami D that was messing her up,

then the more I red about the vitamin D and how little we know where it comes from

and is it clean and pure etc.. the more I was hesitant .. and then again,

apparently I never thought of it enough but vitamin D is actually a hormon..

so all things considered we felt more comfortable finding milk that has no D.

It was quite a search as turned that almost all milk on the market contains it

except for one brand at natural foods store.

#42 of 46 Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree that in general if a child is hesitant to have some foods that often cause people problems, like dairy, it might be because there is a sensitivity. Even young kids can make connection. "Oh, I know that stuff. I always get an ouchy tummy after that." Even if they can't verbalize it yet, they might notice it.
#43 of 46 Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Mamaprincess, vit D is a hormone?  I have not heard that.  My ped told me to give vit D drops (1000)  to my 4 year old.  Where did you hear/read that?

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#44 of 46 Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Mamaprincess, vit D is a hormone?  I have not heard that.  My ped told me to give vit D drops (1000)  to my 4 year old.  Where did you hear/read that?

Its not really a hormone, although in certain forms it's been referred to as such.  The paper in the link below summarizes this nicely, and Table 1 provides good definitions.

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/VitDVieth/Vit%20D%20not%20a%20Hormone%20Vieth.pdf

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#45 of 46 Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Evidently there is a problem with poor definitions pertaining to Vit D in medical literature...

I came across this article about it, http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/VitDVieth/Vit%20D%20not%20a%20Hormone%20Vieth.pdf :

"For reference, more rigorous definitions of words pertinent to vitamin and hormone are presented in Table 1. It should be evident from this that Vitamin D is no more a hormone than cholesterol is—both are the structural raw material that one or more hormones are made from. Vitamin D is a vitamin in the truest sense of the word, because “insufficient amounts in the diet may cause deficiency diseases”.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#46 of 46 Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Cross posted with crayfishgirl:-)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page