First tooth shaking - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi,

Dd's first little tooth has begun moving. What should we expect? Any tips are welcome. I do know that you should not try to get it out forcefully. How soon will the next teeth come out? And should we avoid certain foods if it is not causing discomfort?

Thanks.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#2 of 16 Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it at all and follow your child's lead. Some of them seem to wiggle FOREVER before they finally fall out, and others seem to come out more quickly. Sometimes even the new tooth is starting to erupt before the old one is out; even that is not typically a problem. smile.gif

My DD has not had any real diet restrictions due to a loose tooth, but we did cut the corn off of the cob, etc. smile.gif
Neera likes this.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 16 Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 AM

I'll echo everything Mosaic said.  DD just lost her first tooth and it was loose for weeks!  It finally got to the point where it was bending completely forward.  She was sort of a self-regulator as far as foods (I had to cut up apples and carrots into little pieces, but other than that she was fine).  One evening it looked like it was literally hanging there, so I took a tissue and gave it a little yank and there it was...so tiny!  I was a little worried that it would fall out in her sleep and she was ready for it to come out.  She is now going through the same thing with the tooth beside it.

Neera likes this.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#4 of 16 Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

yup! i agree with pp.

your biggest worry now should be figuring out your tooth fairy or tooth mouse philosophy (if any) and what you are going to give. people are all over the place on this.

and if you do decide on taking part in the tooth fairy magic, then i would advice you to keep stash of what you are going to give at home so that a sudden loss doesnt catch you by surprise.

we gave dd a gold dollar and a toy (sometimes stuffed, sometimes candy, sometimes an artsy piece). 

one day your child will tell you she has a loose tooth and it'll be out the same night. 

depending on where the tooth is dd has had a hard time biting into an apple. 

its pretty simple and you will figure it out. 

Neera likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 16 Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

what is the duration between one tooth and the next one falling out? I am sure it's different for everyone but I am wondering if we should, sort of, be checking on her teeth from time to time. she was worried it came out and she swallowed it. :))

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#6 of 16 Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM

tell her no problem if swallowed. dd ate hers with pizza. nothing happened, except that the tooth fairy DID make an appearance.

if i remember right, she began slow, then fast and then slow again. by fast i mean many teeth seem to fall out within weeks of each other. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 16 Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM

My dad is a dentist and he said that we'll probably see certain patterns (like meemee described above), but every mouth is different.  We have a next door neighbor who is DD's age (they are only five days apart) and she had already lost six or so teeth before DD's first tooth became loose.  Don't know if any of this related, but it seems like my DD is about six months behind the growth curve as compared to her peers (learned to walk later, potty-learned later, loosing teeth later, losing baby fat later).  It is so strange. 

Meemee brought up a good topic too:  the Tooth Fairy.  We have always been honest with DD with regard to all the fantasy characters that exist in childhood, but for some reason I wasn't as forthcoming with the Tooth Fairy.  It didn't last too long, though, because DD found her tooth in a little box on my dresser.  She gave me one of those knowing looks and said:  "So, you and dad are the tooth fairy.  I knew it!" 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#8 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. I don't think dd really knows what to do with money. She is all excited about the tooth fairy and I don't want to spoil it. I remember the magic of something like that. It's just that the amt of cash is going to be small. I read the teeth fall until 12-13. By then she is going to be demanding how much she wants, I am guessing. And I guess all beginnings have an ending. Probably a dumb thing, but, I'll miss her smile. :( My nephew's new teeth are so different and he looks so much more older.

#9 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 06:04 PM

yeah the teeth may fall till 12 - 13 but i dont think the belief in tooth fairy might last that long. 

even if the belief is there, it might not be that important. 

one thing i learnt of much later is sparkles as fairy dust. dd would have loved that. 

#10 of 16 Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

one thing i learnt of much later is sparkles as fairy dust. dd would have loved that. 

what's that?

#11 of 16 Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
what's that?

glitter and bath salts (sea salt with flavoring-lavender,etc)- that way you have a sent and a sparkle to wake up with - and a new toothbrush as well doesn't hurt

I would keep a special bag of it mixed with brushes in stock as well (and we did folded money-origami) 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#12 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

glitter and bath salts (sea salt with flavoring-lavender,etc)- that way you have a sent and a sparkle to wake up with - and a new toothbrush as well doesn't hurt

I would keep a special bag of it mixed with brushes in stock as well (and we did folded money-origami) 

ok. so, the glitter is kept under the pillow as well along with a toothbrush? i'm so new to this.

#13 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 01:36 PM

oooooh a new toothbrush is such a GRAND idea. dang i'd have used it if i had known. 

neera my friends have drawn a glitter path from the window to the bedside to show how tooth fairy came in. 

the thing is you can do it any way you want. one time tooth fairy left a note to a specific place in the garden with directions. dd had to take the tooth and put it in the hole for the mouse and there was a gift next to the hole.

dd is HUGE on imagination so i did all sorts of things to make it magical for her. including a mystery hunt with clues. you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want it.

the key is being ready much before so you are not caught by surprise.  

#14 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
ok. so, the glitter is kept under the pillow as well along with a toothbrush? i'm so new to this.

no no no, you go crazy with it! like meemee said - you have to show that she showed up! (it's a good excuse for doing the bedding laundry) and it add a sparkle to the day!ROTFLMAO.gif

YEARS ago they had glow in the dark brushes too (haven't seen them in years)

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#15 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 10:18 PM

oh and on a funny note...

... as dd grows up the tooth fairy the last couple of times left dd candy.

totally confused dd. she thought the toothfairy was anti candy, so she was thrilled to get junk (it was junk). she was so thrilled and surprised and confused that she ate v. little of the candy. 

#16 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, ok. Thanks. You learn something every day. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page