What time do you put your kindergartener to sleep? What time do they wake? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dd is starting kinder!  Oh my!  She will be five in Oct.  No naps since she was about 2.5.  Very rarely she will fall asleep in the car during a late afternoon trip and that is only if she didn't get enough sleep the night before.

So, what time would you put your kid to bed if they had school from 9am to 3pm?  How many hours does she need?

It takes her so long to wind down.  I read to her, but the whole time she is rolling, kicking, sitting up, falling down, trying to play with baby sister,  flipping and flopping. As soon as I start the night time routine, she starts zipping around, doing flips, jumping like crazy.  I don't get it.

Sometimes it takes an hour for her to settle and fall asleep.  Oh, and I still lay down with her to fall asleep.  She is a part time cosleeper.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#2 of 17 Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM

My daughter just started kindergarten too.  She goes to bed at 8pm (and is asleep in just a few minutes) I get her up at 7 or 7:15am depending on if we are walking or driving to school that day.  She used to sleep 12 to 13 hours a night before she started school.  Unfortunately she is soooo slow getting ready in the morning we can't really let her sleep in any longer than 7:15. 

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#3 of 17 Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

are her elementary school years all going to be 9 to 3? or just for K and from first it will be 8 am. 

how many hours does she sleep now on average? that's what i would try to keep it at.

if your dd is going to start school at 8 am starting first grade, i would kinda put her in the mindset of being at school by 8 from now on itself. or at least aim for it. meaning wake up at 7 am or at least try to.  

10 hours? so sleep by 9 pm. that means go to bed at 8 pm?

the first month she is going to be cranky and TIRED. so normal. most of the kids will be doing the same. make sure you stick to going to bed during school days. during weekends you might give her some slack.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 17 Old 08-17-2012, 06:06 AM

I have always been rather strict on bedtime. I think sleep is just so important. Just this summer I changed bedtime from 7 to 8, for both my 5 and 7 year old. So they both go to bed by 8, and wake up right around 7. (they wake themselves naturally.) School starts at 8:20, so this gives us plenty of time to get ready.

I don't really do a bedtime routine, and never have. At 8 I say 'time for bed, go get ready' and they put on their pjs and brush their teeth (sometimes) and get in bed. I kiss them, hug them and that's it.

I think I am way stricter about this than most people, or at least most people that live in our building! I still have kids knocking on my door at 8 pm, asking the kids to play, and then those kids are still out playing until 9 or later, even on school nights. In our house, outside play time is over at 6 pm, so that we can do baths and dinner and spend some time together before bed.

#5 of 17 Old 08-17-2012, 07:22 AM

A big consideration would be how long it takes to get to school.  Are you driving?  Walking? Taking the school bus?  Taking public transit?  

Another would be how long it takes to get ready in the AM?  Long time to eat breakfast?  Breakfast served at school?

#6 of 17 Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM

all our kids brush teeth, pj up, and get stories read at 8 by 830 they are in bed... now what time they go to sleep? well that varies but they are in bed tucked in by 830. oldest has to get up early as she is PS'ed so she gets up about 645-7. the boys wake up between 8 and 830 on their own.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#7 of 17 Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!  I am thinking she will need to get in bed by  7 or 7:30 to be asleep by 8ish.  That seems sooooo early.  She averages about 11 hours of sleep per night.  Even thought our school is less than ten minutes,  I cannot rush her in the am.  It would be better to get her up at 7:30am and let her get ready at a slow pace.

I am just realizing how much this will change our life.  We normally get up at 8 or 9 and get to bed by 9.  I have a loose kind of routine, but it's later because that's what fits our life.  I am kind of spontaneous and feel more like I have ADD as I age (43).   I suppose I should start moving bedtime now in order to be somewhat adjusted.  I am a little afraid of this change.  Now I have to be more structured and strict...blah.

Thanks again to all who read this!

#8 of 17 Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post
It takes her so long to wind down.  I read to her, but the whole time she is rolling, kicking, sitting up, falling down, trying to play with baby sister,  flipping and flopping. As soon as I start the night time routine, she starts zipping around, doing flips, jumping like crazy.  I don't get it.

Sometimes it takes an hour for her to settle and fall asleep...

I am kind of spontaneous and feel more like I have ADD as I age (43).

My ds was diagnosed with ADHD just before first grade; trying to get him to go to sleep during Kindergarten was horrid. We give him melatonin at night (regular and time-release) then he turns on his lamp with a Sunset Dimmer and reads for 30min until it turns off. If he's still awake he'll ask me to turn on his Wai Lana relaxation CD. He also has room darkening curtains.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 17 Old 08-18-2012, 03:47 PM

All 3 of my kids, including my 5 yr old kindergartener is in bed no later that 7pm on school nights.  They need about 11 hours of sleep and will wake around 6-630.  My oldest 2 need to be at school around 730, my 4 yr old by 750.

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

#10 of 17 Old 08-18-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yep this is the time I am thinking to put her to bed, but that means she won't see her Daddy most week nights.greensad.gif And I am realizing that I won't see her all day for 6 straight hours.  That makes me a little sad and nervous.  I can't believe she is going to kinder.

#11 of 17 Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM

I think within just a few days, she will be falling asleep at the time she needs, based on when you are getting up in the mornings. I'd be very hesitant to put a child to bed without adequate family time in the evenings. She is not going to grow up and live in a school- she's going to need to know how to live in a family. Family is most important.

#12 of 17 Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 PM

My dd won't be going to school, but she is 5.5.  She is in bed at 8pm, goes to sleep in 10 minutes or one hour depending on the night, and sleeps until 7 or 8 or 9 am.  If it were us, I would be shooting for 12 hours of sleep.  How long does your dd sleep now?  Does it seem like enough?  The amound to sleep she needs is where you should start.  Then you can start waking her up earlier and putting her to bed earlier as needed.

#13 of 17 Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Averlee, yes I agree.  It was one reason I thought about delaying kinder because of missed time with daddy.  But we do co sleep and she sleeps next to daddy since I have a nursling.  One benefit of the family bed. Many times she and Daddy go to bed at the same time.

I would love for my husband to get a job with earlier hours and less commute time.

Sunnygirl, she averages about 11 hours.  We are on a about a 9pm to 8am schedule.  All week I have been trying to inch bedtime up...unsuccessfully.  I guess it will get inched up in a forceful way the first week.  I am  a tad bit anxious about the whole thing.  Two more days!

#14 of 17 Old 08-24-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Emmiline,  I just saw your post again.  I meant to respond to you earlier this week.  I am glad you have found a good routine for your kiddo.  I have never thought that she could be adhd, but she sure does move  a lot and especially at bedtime.  I think she moves more to keep herself from getting tired and falling asleep.  It's like she won't allow her body to rest even though I know she is tired.  She can be wiped out, but get in bed and her legs start flailing around.  It's so crazy to me.  When I get tired I slow down.  Why does she speed up?

#15 of 17 Old 08-25-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post

Emmiline,  I just saw your post again.  I meant to respond to you earlier this week.  I am glad you have found a good routine for your kiddo.  I have never thought that she could be adhd, but she sure does move  a lot and especially at bedtime.  I think she moves more to keep herself from getting tired and falling asleep.  It's like she won't allow her body to rest even though I know she is tired.  She can be wiped out, but get in bed and her legs start flailing around.  It's so crazy to me.  When I get tired I slow down.  Why does she speed up?

I'm not sure as to 'why' her body it trying to stimulate itself into staying awake. I have this problem (and ADHD); I'll be sooo tired but as soon as I get into bed my mind won't shut down--the melatonin helps with that. You could review some articles on sleep hygiene and see if there are adjustments you can make. If the co-sleeping is inconsistent you may need to make it full time or cut it completely--even if she likes it, sleeping with others may be disturbing her sleep; I can't stay in bed with my children if tending to them when ill because they move around too much and I can't stay asleep. It's also possible she has a sleep disorder or something else physical going on that is keeping her from getting quality sleep (such as enlarged tonsils causing apnea).

Sleep Hygiene

10 Tips for Better Sleep ...

In Blur of A.D.H.D., Sleep Troubles May Be a Culprit - NYTimes.com

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#16 of 17 Old 08-25-2012, 08:41 AM

We homeschool, and we don't really do bedtimes but my kindergarten age child puts himself to sleep at around 8:30 usually. He usually gets up at around 7.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#17 of 17 Old 08-26-2012, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

shami my dd would move when she got overtired and was struggling to go to sleep. 

also i would split up the parenting time. evenings is your time. could mornings be daddy's. could he fix her bfast and help pack her lunch and eat with her and take her to school (if he doesnt already plan that?). i know many families including mine - that's how they got daddy time together. it made for v. special mornings. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page