exclusion - talking to other parents - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We keep running into situations where a girl will take a dislike to dd (fair enough, not everyone has to like each other), but then influences other kids to not want to play with her either.  Dd does have some social skills issues but many kids seem to like playing with her.  Fitting into groups is hard though.  She has taken social skills classes, we work on this all the time at home as well.  Often I just try to avoid the girls who do this, but I am not sure this is the best way, especially since it may seem as if we are the ones excluding them.  I've been wondering about talking to the moms - seems like it would backfire at this age, nine year olds, and create more resentment.  Sometimes the moms are sitting right there when the girls discuss who is and is not invited to their birthday party (dd is not invited), and they say nothing.  I guess they don't see it as a problem.  Wondering if there are any good ways to approach this, besides working with dd at home and avoiding girls who are regularly unpleasant.

#2 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM

How old is your kid?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#3 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Her post says that she is 9 years old, which can be a really difficult age. (I have 8 & 10 year old girls)

Personally, I would try and help her work it out with the girls on her own - involving parents can make things more difficult on occasion and I'm sure you want to avoid that! Would your daughter be interested in having one or two of the girls over for an afternoon away from school?
#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 PM

Oops! Sorry. I missed that. I hope you find resolution, but both of my kids are younger, and I think it's easier to deal with exclusion at that age.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!  Yes, it seems by this age the girls are harder to direct and able to be more subtle when they exclude someone.  I notice it, but I think a lot of the other parents don't.  I will try to see if the main girl can come for a playdate.  When I've asked in the past, they are always busy or something comes up.  : (  And I will try to avoid them, however since the girls are in some of the same activities I am sure we will still see them sometimes.  I guess I just have to explain to dd that this girl is not really her friend, and to try not to let these things hurt her.  Not long ago, they seemed to be getting along fine and dd still thinks of her as a good friend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page