7yr old and bad language - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7 yr old plays with the neighbors(9 and 8 yr old boys, 6 yr old girl).  They are the only kids on our street, they get along ok for the most part.  However, their grandfather(who raises them) cusses a lot.  We use our fair share(shit, damn) but not the "heavy" ones.  Anyway, my neighbor(a different one) just sent my 7 yr old inside bc she heard him saying fucker and motherfucker.  She called me right after she told him to go inside to tell me what went on and what she overheard.

I have managed to get him to not say them in my presence however when he is alone outside, it appears he is using them.  My other neighbor told me he said Fuck when he was playing at her house.  This is not acceptable to me and I need it to stop!  I've given consequences-like right now he is not allowed to go back outside the rest of the day(so he lost 2 hours outside).  I have tried taking money away, special treats, etc.  It's not working.  I hate to ban him from playing with these kids bc they are literally the only kids on our block.  Is there any other way or do I really need to do that?  He has no other friends aside from those at school and we just do not have time for playdates with 2 other kids, me in school and working part time and my  husband working.  Oh, I've also tried getting him using a silly word instead of cuss words and that hasn't worked.  Ideas?

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We actually don't ban cussing, nor do my kids cuss a lot. When we hear a cuss word from one of the kids we discuss the word. We talk about what it means, what it is often used to mean. We talk about the context it is typically used in. We also discuss why the use of the word may offend some people. My kids are 6 and 9. No one has reported any cussing outside of my hearing and I don't hear cussing very often. My kids do know that I consider cussing to be something that makes people appear less educated or intelligent than they probably are.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 08-18-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I always felt the same, but I use rather tame language.  No F bombs and the such which I consider unacceptable esp from my 7 yr old. 

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

User Tag List