5 year old with behavior problems at my wits ends. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am new to  the board.  I have a question. I have a 5 year old daughter. The last couple of month, has been hell, she has s tarted arguring back with him, hitting me. She also hits other children and takes stuff that does not belong to her; and just annoys people also lies, she seems to make up stories, I have told her this is wrong, she says ok but will keep doing it anyway. . If you tell her something she does the total opposite. Other than that she is a sweet little girl the rest of the time but when i have to tell her something its just starts a fight. I have tried spanking her, times outs, nothing, she throws a tantrum  At her school is she is good student gets good grades some of the best test scores. but her teacher has also told me they cant handle her and dont know what to do. They told me once not to send her back until i get her seen by a doctor. so i dont know what to do any help would be appricated.

hijab.gif  Super Muslimah  Mom to   Two amazing boys fencing.gif Cj(born March 1997) Adam ( born April 2005)  and Princess Aliyyah my little  high strung  over active girl   . hippie.gif March 2007 .
#2 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM

Welcome, I am new as well and I, too, have a 5 yr old daughter.

Can you think when exactly started and if some events or changes in her life may have triggered such behaviour. Children don't behave like this on purpose, they mainly want to drive attention to something that we might be missing or to point their need of more affection. Try and think and even ask her what upsets her lately, what are the things you could do for her to make her feel better.

If you could try not focus on the bad effects but on the causes, you will be able to find what makes her act this way and help her. 

I don't agree with spanking (how can you teach her violence is wrong, hitting you or others is wrong while you spank?) because I don't believe it solves problems for the long run and it doesn't build confidence, trust and love between parents and kids. 

Mom to DD 15/07/2007 and DD 19/07/2013
#3 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

thanks I will try just that. I dont like to spank I hate it, I was spanked as a child and it was aweful. So i am trying new ways to try and disciplne her.

hijab.gif  Super Muslimah  Mom to   Two amazing boys fencing.gif Cj(born March 1997) Adam ( born April 2005)  and Princess Aliyyah my little  high strung  over active girl   . hippie.gif March 2007 .
#4 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 05:09 PM

How about an appointment with a child psychologist?

#5 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 03:03 PM

i can relate to this. my son is having tantrums for the first time in his little life age 5 3/4, also his friend ( a girl, exactly the same age) is brilliant at meltdowns. mine is violent, she is not! Understanding your child is the first step. keeping the boundaries really clear and trying not to escalate things when they lose it (i often jump in and get cross too!)

Getting her needs met is really important - need for calm, for getting absorbed in something, for the right stimulation. I find one to one time is gold dust in the behaviour stakes. its like "money in the bank". taking time to listen to your child when there isn't a crisis. its affecting the system, the impact will be gradual.

Also consider diet. Allergies, sensitivities, even candida overgrowth can affect behaviour (consider grapefruit seed extract for the latter I have seen it work wonders on a tantrum inclined 4 yr old).

food for thought, hope it helps.

Oh, and keep trusting that your child will see it through, you are not failing you are on a journey, stop worrying what other people are thinking, and tune in to your mama wisdom about what's really important! ;-)))

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page