5 1/2 year old wants to nurse again - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He weaned just before his 4th birthday. he misses it. I've let him have some a couple of times, and he keeps asking. would you say yes? I'm not against in principle, but it kind of feels weird. I feel bad for him...... :-/ he has a baby brother who is one and still feeding. how would you deal with it?

#2 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 PM

I would say, "sure" and keep it light. DD weaned at 5.5, and wanted to nurse again at 6. Its amazing how quickly they forget how. She tried, giggled, and gave it up. But it seemed to be important to her that she would of course be allowed to, if she wanted.

#3 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 PM

Nope, no bottles, pacies, sippy cups, thumb sucking or nursing since he has been weaned. I would explain that your milk is for the baby, and since he is a big boy he does not need your milk anymore......unless there is a medical reason why he would.

*bejeweled* likes this.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#4 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 PM

I would definitely let him. Enjoy your nursey snuggles. :)

#5 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

aww poor guy. he misses the whole specialness.

first i would explore your own feelings a bit. see where its coming from. and if you can handle it - then say yes. 

i would not say yes if i am going to feel all yucky if he nurses. and he's old enough to understand that. i would be honest with him.

however if you can allow him that i guess would be great for him.

asking to renurse - whether baby or not, is pretty normal. as is nipple play for a few months if not a year after nursing is done is also pretty common too.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 PM

I might be dealing with this soon! My older son weaned right before I gave birth to his brother and when I offered again (had more milk) he was like... you crazy. I weaned my younger son around 2 due to health issues and he was chill about it. But something tells me he'll want to get on again once this babe is born! I'm going to play it by ear. Just follow your instincts. He's old enough that he doesn't really "need" it (this may be arguable) and would understand if you're just not into nursing him anymore.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#7 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If (and when) my child asked, I would put some in a cup and let him have it that way.

#8 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I weaned two of my sons right after they turned four. If they had started asking to nurse a yaer later, I would say "Sorry buddy, you're weaned."

*bejeweled* likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 12 Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM

I think I would try to create that closeness in another way first. Just some one on one time with a special book or even his baby book might give him the comfort and closeness he is craving. I personally wouldn't want to start again and it sounds like you aren't really into it either. Try talking with him about it some more. He may just want to remember what it was like.

#10 of 12 Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Over the last several months, my 5 year old has occasionally asked to nurse again. She only asks about it when her little sister (who's almost 2) is nursing, so I think she feels a little jealous and wants my time like her sister gets in those moments. I've defrosted frozen milk I'd pumped and she didn't like it, saying she wanted warm milk from me. Usually I just distract her with something else and she forgets but just yesterday I decided that she had asked enough times that I'd let her try. She's been weaned for just about exactly 3 years and I was pretty sure she wouldn't remember how to nurse. We talked about how she might not remember how to latch so she closely watched her sister nursing and was confident that she could do it. I lifted up my shirt and she got close to my boob and then started giggling. She decided it was pretty funny and didn't even try nursing. I think she was surprised that I was actually going to let her try and it seemed to mean a lot to her that I'd give her a chance, that she wasn't being left out. I felt good that ultimately it was her decision to not try and it wasn't me saying no.

Unless your 5 year old weaned recently, it's likely he won't remember how to latch and it might give him some closure to be offered the chance and to decide for himself if he really wants to/can do it.

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#11 of 12 Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 PM

I'd respond "You liked nursing, didn't you? But you're done nursing. We can cuddle together instead."

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#12 of 12 Old 09-22-2012, 06:11 PM

My four-year-old asks fairly often to nurse when his 19-month-old brother is nursing. I've told him that it's been a long time since he nursed and he might forget how but he's welcome to have a snuggle and some of my pumped milk in a cup. He's taken me up on the offer of milk only once or twice. The fact that I didn't say no seems to satisfy him. I do wonder when he'll stop sticking his hand down my shirt, though eyesroll.gif

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page