Best Bday Presents for a 5 year old girl - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey!

My daughter is turning 5 next week and honestly I am having a hard time thinking of a few birthday presents for her.

Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions for loot bags that would suit boys and girls and cost around $5

Thanks so much!

#2 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

What does your DD like to do? I like experiential gifts (going to some place special like a play, a membership to a favorite place like a museum, etc.), homemade or personalized things (a story about the last year, a book of pictures, etc.), or things you can do things with (an easel or art supplies, a building table/blocks, etc.).

In terms of party favors, I think books are great and you can get softcover books for under $5 (and if you buy them locally you might get a discount for buying a certain number). Does your DD have a favorite book? Maybe that could be the favor?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Another idea: T-shirts...if you want they could be decorated at the party as an activity (tie-dye, fabric paints, fabric markers) and the local craft store near here has solid color ones for $2 or $3 a shirt.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#4 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM

My daughter just turned five, and when people asked me what they should get her, I said books and art supplies.  She loves reading and anything artsy, and they're both things that don't take up a lot of room or are consumable.  She got SO many art supplies (watercolors, make-your-own fingerpuppets, beading stuff, colored pencils, sticker books, paper, coloring books, etc.) and lots of books.  We're set for another year!

For goodie bags, I bought cheap $2 watercolor sets and a few really cheap plastic rings or hair things and decorative pencils.  Her party theme was rainbows so I bought everything in bright rainbow colors.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#5 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM

Ds turned 5 last month. We got him a two wheeler/pedal bike. We bought it on craigslist (we figured out which one we really wanted and then kept an eye on craigslist until we found it)
He also got several playmobils (his birthday landed during the Olympics, which he was really enjoying so we found Olympic playmobils)

For party favors I made comet balls (circular bean bags with tails) and got cheap squeeze rockets (he had a space themed party).

His BFF turned 5 earlier in the spring and they did Tshirts (that her mom silk screened pictures on before the party) and then kids decorated them with markers at the party.
#6 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Great ideas

Thanks for your thoughtful responses!

#7 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

playmobil or lego if she likes them

art supplies

dres up clothes

Have you seen dover coloring books? Amazon generally has them buy four get one free. Lots of fun themes. New Markers. New playdough (sounds youngish but they allows are gone).  I prefer not to do bags and offer one, more substantial thing and leave them unwrapped. Kids choose as they leave the door.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page